What is up with my iMac?

AgentOrange

Registered
All of a sudden I am experiencing a VERY strange & VERY worrying problem with my iMac. It's as if the screen has suddenly developed a feint flicker and red lines can be seen all over it. They're only feint and can be seen especially in the finder (see attachment). Is this a virus?

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 21
A screen capture is not a screen capture at all. It captures the data stream to being sent to the screen. Your "screen capture" is pristine. If you want to display a problematic screen image, then you must photograph it.

Is it a white iMac 24"?, because both my son's iMacs are doing exactly the same thing.

We have been considering whether the graphics card or VRAM have developed a fault.

Both iMacs tend to lock up at odd intervals as well. I have not been able to associate the problem with any particular software.

I have started this thread in Apple's iMac Forums to see if others are in the same boat.

Don't rush into buying the new 27" iMacs, they have their own problems.

Last edited:
It's probably one of the white ones and the GPU has fallen off of the motherboard.

I'd contact Apple if your still in warranty.

Charlie

If the GPU "has fallen off of the motherboard" I doubt that he'd be getting anything on his screen let alone a faint red flicker.

Back