What religion are you?

To what faith do you consider yourself a member?

• Christianity

• Islam

• Buddhism

• Gnostic/Agnostic

• Pagan

• Santeria

• Hinduism

• Judaism

• Other

• Atheist/none

• Results of the 'test' in http://selectsmart.com/RELIGION/ (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
Greg - let me se if we can't clarrify part of what you said even more because i find the seperation of nature and spirituality to be confusing. this is because nature plays such a big part in my spirituality.But if i understand what you mean, you are saying that there are laws to the natural order of things. and that these laws operate regardless of whether we are aware of them and their source. but because they work in some orderly fashion, like the binding and structure of molecules, we could know and measure them if we only had the correct instruments for doing so.Does that sound about right? and hence they are not part of some 'being' but of a metaphysical formula that holds the universe together.

Ed - thanks for saying it better than I could! That's basically what I was getting at. You're right, "spiritual" was probably the wrong word - but i'm glad you got the idea. I think it's my bed time. I already had 2 much to drink and then sent an email to my father that i'm going to regret sending :rolleyes: ah well. Goodnight all!

I would hate to disappoint you Eric, but I have a general boredom for fictional works. Particularly when they are enshroud in philosophy. I will shamefully claim ignorance with my left hand and proudly bare it with my right.

And now for your claims. What they be our new librarian friend? In your words, please. I'm sure you have more than just commentary.

:D

I'm not disappointed at all, Klink. You like what you like. I just remember Ayn Rand's books being intellectually amusing in the area of selfishness (and Technocracy, if I'm not mistaken).

As for me, I'm afraid I just don't have it in me to believe in God. I converted to athiesm when I was 17 or 18. For those of you who have had extremely powerful conversions to a belief set, think of mine as the exact opposite; an extremely powerful conversion to no belief set.

well yes, this is the thread where we pretty much showed we could discuss religion in a mature and reasonable fashion. i'd certainly welcome any newcomers additions to it. the last reply was over a year ago after all. :)

dlloyd - you and scott can politely challenge each other's views on christianity here if you'd like ;)

...Christians Orthodox...

And while I would like to believe things are so easy about my religion and my beliefs, always something occurs that makes me feel otherwise...

The thread had a very simple question and the answer to that question is also easy(!?)... But when one starts to grow on that answer, things always become less clear!

Who are we? What are we doing here? Why we are doing the things we are doing? Why this and why that? Too many questions with too many not so clear too many answers...

In the end the only sure thing remains: No one can give a 100% right and clear answers... No religion... No human being... Only the truth that we will find, if ever, in our end of time... Until then we all should care and love about all beings around us, including ourselves.

Not just ourselves or the others or nature but all of the so-called creation... If in order to do so, we have to believe first in any religion out there, go ahead and do so ASAP!

Grrrr, Hulk smash puny humans ;)

I'm Jewish, and I wish you'd capitalize the J in Judaism in the original poll, Ed.

I was baptised at birth and did the first ... how do you call it ... communion thing, aged 7. I decided to stop there.

I do not believe in any form of religion.
I am firmly opposed to its representatives as well as its concepts.

I am a pagan as well. Interestingly, I believe I have been since at least 5 or so. I remember thinking this (at church, heh) "All gods are one god"...and not really understanding the whole idea of one god. Or, at least, one god that's higher than any other god, the bible does say that there are other gods, but that God is above them all. I did stop trying to talk about that, as everyone else in my family, and the friends I knew back then, were all Christian, and wouldn't hear a word of it. My grandmother was particularly adamant about it. Heh

I never lost my own beliefs, though. They're not quite the same as Ed's are, but not everyone who calls themselves pagan has the same beliefs anyway. Some core beliefs, yes, but not every one. Something I enjoy about it, too. Some religions are pretty restrictive, I believe.

Ed, I went to your site. I like your name :) This one (Darkshadow) is mine. It was given to me in a dream...if anyone would like to read about it, I posted it on my website, here: http://www.geocities.com/darkshadow2.geo/darkshadow.htm

Hmm, I also believe in the ability to know the future. Though, I'd like to say, while there are countless possible futures, there are crossroads of a sort, points where all possiblities meet then continue on...some things will always happen.

I wish I had seen this thread before, I would have posted something to it earlier. Another one that I missed in my more-than-a-year absence. I hope I never go through that again!

For me, it was a choice between Agnostic, Pagan, and Atheist. After checking the definition of each, I made my choice: atheist.

I was a practicing catholic as a kid. In fact, 14 years later, I can still recite part of the catechism. Heck, once in while I find myself saying "thank you, Lord, for what just took place." Then I go, "wait a minute..."

Whether the beliefs of God's followers are justified or not, holding those beliefs makes their life more pleasant, I say. If they are struggling through a situation, they have God to seek help from. When things are going well, they thank God... and thanking God after a good thing has happened is a pleasure in itself.

Just curious.... as children, did anyone of you look at the moon/sun while travelling and think, "it's there because God wants to keep an eye on me"? It was a good feeling to actually believe that.

One should differentiate religion (active), from value system and from culture. All 3 are important, but some of us don't have the same religion as culture or value system.

Larry - funny comic. you do that?

arden - looks like somebody already did it. i can assure you it wasn't intentional or meant to imply anything. you can see i tend not to use many capital letters.

Darkshadow - Blessed Be my friend. :) nice story behind your name. it certainly 'shed new light' upon my understanding of it.

Dusky - no, i never had that experience with the sun as a kid. sounds neat though. as an adult pagan, the sun is symbol of many aspects of Diety for me.

Chevy - i would contend that the things you want to seperate out can't be and that any attempts to do so are artificial at best. but even if i accepted your view, i think your statement should be 'could' and not 'should'. in essence it is my belief that our core values are our religion, whether it be an organized or personal one.

Originally posted by edX

Chevy - i would contend that the things you want to seperate out can't be and that any attempts to do so are artificial at best. but even if i accepted your view, i think your statement should be 'could' and not 'should'. in essence it is my belief that our core values are our religion, whether it be an organized or personal one.

Sorry, my expression was not exactly what I meant.

Most people posting here have a strong christian cultural background. But they have several different religions. And they probably have different value systems.

Examples of different value system: order from most important to least important:
live/death
live/freedom
new born/elder person
person to be born (or potential ?)/woman's life (or quality of file ?)
lies/reason of state
freedom/truth
god (God ?)/human's life
nature/human's life
society/individual (freedom)
society/individual (crime)
family/nation
religion/nation
religion/family

Well, a different view to this topic. I saw this site ages ago:

::: http://selectsmart.com/RELIGION/ ::::

You are asked a lot of questions about beliefs, beginning of everything, death, abortion and homosexuality etc etc, and you give the questions a value (how important they are to you). In the end, you get a list of main religions and the % the religions believe like you do.

I find this religion test interesting - you can discover what religion believes like *YOU* do and how much...

Do you get the result that you are supposed to = what you was taught to be the 'truth' or what you believe in??? :)

Here me results:

# 1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
# 2. Theravada Buddhism (86%)
# 3. Neo-Pagan (80%)
# 4. New Age (78%)
# 5. Unitarian Universalism (75%)
# 6. Taoism (73%)
# 7. Hinduism (73%)
# 8. Liberal Quakers (66%)
# 9. New Thought (66%)
# 10. Jainism (64%)
# 11. Scientology (62%)
# 12. Sikhism (57%)
# 13. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (54%)
# 14. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (49%)
# 15. Orthodox Quaker (49%)
# 16. Secular Humanism (46%)
# 17. Reform Judaism (40%)
# 18. Bahá'í Faith (35%)
# 19. Non-theist (27%)
# 20. Orthodox Judaism (25%)
# 21. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (19%)
# 22. Seventh Day Adventist (18%)
# 23. Islam (15%)
# 24. Jehovah's Witness (14%)
# 25. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (12%)
# 26. Eastern Orthodox (3%)
# 27. Roman Catholic (3%)

Maybe this is funny ... I am / was statistically Catholic :p

Even within one of the church definition, they are lots of current. And they are probably more difference inside a single religion than between all religions.

Here are mine:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2._Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3._Non-theist (83%)
4._Liberal Quakers (69%)
5._Theravada Buddhism (66%)
6._Neo-Pagan (58%)
7._Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
8._Taoism (51%)
9._New Age (39%)
10._Orthodox Quaker (33%)
11._Reform Judaism (33%)
12._Mahayana Buddhism (29%)
13._Bahá'í Faith (26%)
14._Sikhism (26%)
15._Scientology (22%)
16._Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (20%)
17._New Thought (20%)
18._Jainism (17%)
19._Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (16%)
20._Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (15%)
21._Seventh Day Adventist (13%)
22._Eastern Orthodox (10%)
23._Islam (10%)
24._Orthodox Judaism (10%)
25._Roman Catholic (10%)
26._Hinduism (6%)
27._Jehovah's Witness (0%)

I don't know what current they used as references for Roman Catholocism and Islamism, but they are some that are not so far from my thinking.

Your Results:

# 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
# 2. Secular Humanism (93%)
# 3. Neo-Pagan (90%)
# 4. Liberal Quakers (88%)
# 5. Mahayana Buddhism (80%)
# 6. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)
# 7. New Age (80%)
# 8. Theravada Buddhism (78%
# 9. Reform Judaism (69%)
# 10. Orthodox Quaker (66%)
# 11. Sikhism (59%)
# 12. Taoism (59%)
# 13. Non-theist (52%)
# 14. Bahá'í Faith (51%)
# 15. Scientology (50%)
# 16. Jainism (50%)
# 17. New Thought (48%)
# 18. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (44%)
# 19. Hinduism (44%)
# 20. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (40%)
# 21. Seventh Day Adventist (38%)
# 22. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (37%)
# 23. Eastern Orthodox (34%)
# 24. Roman Catholic (34%)
# 25. Jehovah's Witness (29%)
# 26. Orthodox Judaism (29%)
# 27. Islam (26%)

I am very very agnostic

Back