What sort of G4 do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnap

Bohemian
How is it there are so many names for the different G4s? How can I tell which one I have?

You can find out exactly what model you have by opening System Profiler (in the Utilities folder). The first window that opens will give you the model.

I had already opened the System Profiler, which was how I knew what I listed in my signature. The machine model simply states: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics). CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9). No fancy names like Yikes! or Sawtooth. I don't even know what those are?
I do know it isn't a Cube as I think that implies my CPU's box is a cube shape, which mine is not, mine's a big rectangle with a dark grey front with light gray sides (maybe silver?).

Oh, and another way to get to the System Profiler is to click on the Apple icon in the top left corner, choose About This Mac, then click the More Info button. that's how I've always done it anyway.

It's an Apple-internal codename for the machine that usually leaks out to the general public. Apple never told us it was a "Sawtooth," or a "Yikes," or a "Quicksilver," etc., but if you mention those names to an Apple employee, they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Kind of like Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," except Apple doesn't tell us the "Tiger" part.

Uh... Apple's been saying "Tiger" everywhere. :p

I'm sitting here looking at the retail box, and it says "Mac OS X Tiger" in big bold letters.

But ElDiablo is right about the computer names, they're internal code names the engineers give the machines, and they get out to the public. Officially, you have what the System Profiler says: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics). Unofficially, you've got a Sawtooth.

Clear(er)?

Darkshadow said:
Uh... Apple's been saying "Tiger" everywhere. :p

I'm sitting here looking at the retail box, and it says "Mac OS X Tiger" in big bold letters.

But ElDiablo is right about the computer names, they're internal code names the engineers give the machines, and they get out to the public. Officially, you have what the System Profiler says: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics). Unofficially, you've got a Sawtooth.

Clear(er)?

Ummm... yes, I am fully aware of that. I was simply saying that the whole machine codename thing is similar to the software being called "Tiger." Tiger is a codename (that Apple decided to use publicly). "Sawtooth" is also a codename (that Apple decided NOT to use publicly).

I never insinuated that Apple never used "Tiger" to refer to 10.4. It's blatantly obvious that they did. I think you misunderstood part of my post.

Perhaps instead of saying:
Kind of like Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," except Apple doesn't tell us the "Tiger" part.
...I should have said:
Imagine if Apple had released OS X 10.4 without the name "Tiger," but people still referred to it as "Tiger."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back