What the hell is this??

It means that, most of time, an hardware component has problem with your OS.
It's hard to tell you what exactly, as my eyes are not good enough to read your jpg. But it seems that the fisrt module in backtrace is a FireWire one.

So, 2 things first :

1. You didn't post in the good forum, as you're running OS X and posting in the Classic forum. I will ask a moderator to move your thread in the good one.

2. Do you have any Fire Wire device connected, such as an external HD, scanner, etc. ?

Hi there, I'll upload a larger .jpg to help. Yes I have got an external CD-RW smartdisk connected with a lacie external HD after that.

Thanks for any help.

What are you doing with these two external FW discs ? Is one of them hosting the OS, your user account, the downloading space, or the application you use to browse the web ?

You can do two other things :

- search for a recent firmware for your external HDs,
- search the OS X forum for other questions about FW HD compatibility

BTW, give us your whole configuration, it will help.

Hi, I am not runnning any OS on the other drives by the way - back-up purposes and burning CD's

How do I find out my whole configuration?

Thank You.

what's your machine, how may RAM, etc...

And you can have all of this by an app called : Apple System Profiler , located in the Utilities folder of the main Applications folder.

Antonio,

did you find anything while searching forum for firewire issues in OSX?
Tell us.

Your screenshot of a kernel panic is rather old (May 30). Have you had that problem again recently?

One thing that will certainly trigger a panic is turning off a Firewire drive without unmounting it. Another thing you should check is RAM: have you changed RAM recently, esp. prior to the panics? It normally has to do with hardware incompatibilities.

If that does not help, then think if you have made any changes to the folder structure of Mac OS X? F.e. have you moved folders around and now the system cannot find them where they are supposed to be?

My boss had that happen more than once a day. It really pissed him off. He also had an external firewire drive, along with some audio / video equptment and an external monitor. He is on PowerBook 550.

I think upgrading fixed it. He hasn't complained lately :)

I hope you get it figured out.

Twister

Back