When connected to VPN, external IPs inaccessible

natethelen

Registered
I can connect to our VPN from my 10.2.3 Mac and access all the internal resources. But while the connection is active, I cannot get to any external IP addresses. I think this is because Mac OS X tries to route all traffic through the VPN connection instead of just routing internal traffic through it. On WinXP, there is a checkbox that specifies not to do that, which aleviates the problem, but there is no such setting on the Mac. I am sure since we are using a Free BSD core, that there is a great command that adjusts the default route which will fix the problem, but do not know it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

My understanding of the principle of VPNs is: the network should be impenetrable and closed. NONE of the machines connected to the network should be accessible FROM or TO other parts of the internet.

In other words, if your machine could connect to other IPs at the same time it's connected to the VPN, your machine would constitute a 'hole' in the network's security.

I don't blame you for wanting to do it, but I think you can more-or-less forget being able to.

So far, I found a piece of software called DigiTunnel ($58) on VersionTracker that enables this. Also, on WinXP it is a simple checkbox in the Network settings. I just want to be able to do it without paying the $58 per Mac in my organization and I am sure it is possible, just don't know how.

Before you connect your VPN type netstat -r -n[\B] in the terminal and then after your are connected type the same thing and send us the results. You may just be a route add away.

-Eric

Back