where are the Virtual Windows Managers?

gerbick

poptart villain
you know what, almost all Unix based desktops have Virtual Window managers, or "virtual desktops"... something that I honestly use a ton while in Linux, BeOS, and even FreeBSD and Windows (dVWM is a small, cool one to use).

However, none for Mac OS X? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Supposedly the multiple desktop apis are being changed, and still in flux. It's been asserted that they'll be finalized and made public in March or 10.2, whichever comes first, or second.

I've been awaiting multiple desktops eagerly myself; it's the only thing I miss from X11.

I think this will be a great new feature if supported by Apple in 10.2. It'd help get more Linux and Unix users over to atleast 1 Mac running X, since by 10.2 release we should be seeing some next gen macs and a lot more software ported over from both Windows and the Open Source Linux community.

Personally, I really like the ability to have windows and graphics from a remote unix system open up on my local desktop.

It is a real shame that there is no X11 compatibility. That will greatly reduce the acceptance time by companies and groups that rely heavily on Unix/X11 (I am thinking of Special Effects houses, currently using SGI and Linux)

bob..

Yea space dock work by hiding sets of apps though. Virtual desktops are capable of having several windows from the same app active in several desktops, changeable desktop pictures for each etc....

Space app is nice but doesn't quite have the same function.

Back