Where is the vaunted OSX stability?

ive had good results with panther as well on two machines. only issue i have had is when i have my ipod and isight connected at the same time, transfers to the ipod freeze things up. but my solution has been to disconnect the isight. so far, so good. but it could be a hardware issue *shrugs*

You are right about the freezing with iSight and iPod... Still, with the new iSight update it should dissapear! Did you install the latest iSight update? :confused:

The only hardware-related issues I've had have been strange ram modules and of all things, headphone mini-jack plugs with my iBook.

So some reason, the screen goes blue [like when you log in] and the screen fades back in.

A restart is then required!..

My problem with Mac OS X 10.3.2 is that everytime the screensaver activates, I have a 50% chance of being able to log back in. The entire system freezes, caps lock light won't light on and off on the keyboard, power switch is non responsive, I get nothing but a black screen. If I can log back into Mac OS X, the F12 key associated with ejecting the CD-ROM disc does not work. When I manually eject the CD tray and insert a CD, the system won't read the CD. Launching Disk Utility and attempting to mount it manually fails. This is the most unstable version of Mac OS X I have experienced; it's very reminiscent of Mac OS X Public Beta ($30.00). Remember when that was released? I just can't believe how unstable it is on my system; this is frustrating when you're trying to get REAL work done and consistently experience CRASH after CRASH. Also, when I updated to the most recent iCal, scrolling with my mouse wheel crashes it every time. Reviewing the system log reveals that the system is attempting to Prebind iCal at startup, then aborts. I don't understand, I haven't hacked my system to cause these problems, and neither has anyone else; my Mac is not connected to the internet; Panther has yet to see the internet.

My system: Blue & White 500MHz G3, 768MB RAM, internal factory IBM UltraATA 12GB HD, aftermarket IBM UltraSCSI 18GB HD, external GVP Firewire 80GB HB and 52X CD-RW Burner, SmartDisk USB 3.5" Floppy Drive, KDS Rad-9 19" LCD display.

chemistry_geek said:
... The F12 key associated with ejecting the CD-ROM disc does not work. When I manually eject the CD tray and insert a CD, the system won't read the CD...

Yep, forgot about that one. Add it to the list.

But this only happens on the iBook, I've never had a problem with the keyboard button on my G4...

Btw: You can do FTP-client on Windows fine without any freeware. Just use the Explorer or Internet Explorer and enter the URL in the following way:

ftp://username@192.x.x.x (The Mac's IP)

and hit enter. It then asks for the password. Of course your Mac's FTP server still has to be started for this in the Sharing prefpane.

fryke said:
Btw: You can do FTP-client on Windows fine without any freeware. Just use the Explorer or Internet Explorer and enter the URL in the following way:

ftp://username@192.x.x.x (The Mac's IP)

and hit enter. It then asks for the password. Of course your Mac's FTP server still has to be started for this in the Sharing prefpane.

As an aside [off=topic .. slightly, sorry!] has anyone tried doing this into / onto / within Citrix?

I have. It's a big bag of bananas.

Anyway [back on-topic] the Explorer method looks as though it _should_ be intuitive, but I find it to be a little clunkier than a regular ftp client...

I have accessed fileservices on W2K without problems, I have heard there are extra permissions or extra attributes that XP requires. We even had to got through this process accessing XP directories from W2K, we could'nt create directories or set persmission on the XP server. There were multiple problems like this, but I had thought that MS had fixed this long ago. We used SAMBA on SUN kit, similar problems accessing directores and using them properly. It is an XP issue with directory attributes etc, W2k or NT do not exhibit the same problems.

neuby said:
THAT my friends, is a hard crash - and I get it several times a week.

In fact this ain't a hard crash. The system is still running, so there really is no system crash at all. The only thing is that the finder is hanging because of its no-threaded SMB access. It sucks that the Finder is still so ugly-coded in 10.3, but there is really no need to hard-reboot if just the finder is hanging.
You may remove the network-cable and then wait some seconds to minutes, normally the finder then recovers. If this doesn't help, open up the terminal, look for all stuck processes and kill them. If this doesn't help neither, you can kill the always running "loginwindow"-app. You will then get back to the login screen and then you can restart your mac the normal way by pressing the restart button. Logging in again is not a good idea as the SMB networking may still be stuck and thus you would be ending up again with a stuck finder.

I gave up using SMB in 10.2, AFP or FTP only now. Yes I occasionally have to re-launch the finder in 10.3.4 but thats usually because I am running Mail, Safari, Coloquy IRC and Azureus (torrent ware) all at the same time as trying to FTP something and use Photoshop CS - I don't think I could even succesfully launch all those processes at once without locking up a PC.
In general use of the machine though when I'm not being impatient (as above) I've never had a problem, and if I think its running slow I'll boot up Cocktail and run some Cron scripts, repair permissions etc. Never had a problem waking from sleep either, which a few people on this baord seem to be experiencing....

did you try opening your temrinal and typing in "killall Finder"? that always works for me when Finder crashes

Back