Which HDD camcorder?

gphillipk

Registered
I'm thinking of getting a camcorder that records to HDD. So far I've found Canon and Sony HDD examples. From my research on this site, I see a lot of people have had a lot of grief trying to get iMovie and IDVD to work with Sony dvd cams, but there're very few reports on HDD ones. Does this mean people have shied away from HDD cams or is there a relatively foolproof way to get your recorded clips & images off the camcorder and edit them them in iMovie?

Although this really doesn't answer your question. I have used a Canon HD camera that records all video to an SD card, this way it's easier to swap out a card when you run out of space, plus many other benefits such as not having to carry the entire camera around when you just want to transfer. This camera has worked flawlessy with iMovie and iDVD, I have used it to record weddings in HD and it works wonderfully. This is what I have http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...&fcategoryid=177&modelid=17994#ModelDetailAct . I'm pretty sure though that camera's just like that one from Canon will work just as well, since I have also used a standard definition one that uses an SD card.

Good to know, though I wonder if the version of iMovie and iDVD matters. Please elaborate on how you get the movie clips and still photos off the camcorder. Is it a simple matter of connecting the cam. to your computer and iMovie pops up or do you get the media from the SDHC card via a card reader?

Hi,

I'm also having problems with this. I've just bought a Sony HDR-XR200E and can't download the movies onto my MacBook Pro. While the computer can see (via Finder) the camcorder, iMovie doesn't.

Any ideas?

Back