Which one?

PowerPC

Registered
I have a Dual PowerPC G5 2.5 GHz and I want to buy another PowerMacintosh. I saw on Apple's website that now they're delivering a Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 and I am wondering if there's any difference between a dual core single processor and a dual processor machine? Why should I go for the second? Is it really performant? Anyone tested it and can say it is faster (or at least as good as the previous 2 x G5 machine)?

Thanks a lot!

There might be some comparisons at barefeats.com ... I'd say that _basically_ you can just look at the dual-core 2.3 GHz as a "dual processor 2.3 GHz" machine. There's some differences in bus/cache handling, but from the OS side, it looks the same, the OS can address two processors with the machine. The performance also varies with graphics card, RAM, harddrive etc., so you'll have to look at how you stuff that machine. I guess you don't want to replace your "old" machine, though, since that would seem a bit off... :)

fryke said:
There might be some comparisons at barefeats.com ... I'd say that _basically_ you can just look at the dual-core 2.3 GHz as a "dual processor 2.3 GHz" machine. There's some differences in bus/cache handling, but from the OS side, it looks the same, the OS can address two processors with the machine. The performance also varies with graphics card, RAM, harddrive etc., so you'll have to look at how you stuff that machine. I guess you don't want to replace your "old" machine, though, since that would seem a bit off... :)

I don't want to replace my "old" PowerMac because it kicks ass! :) I am pretty much excited with the new technologies, but at the same time I don't want to risk any speed / power loss and spend more money for this "single". :) Arghh, I just cannot stand single processor machines. :) I just want to make sure that the deal is worthy. Thanks for the link, I will take a look at that webpage!

:)

Just keep in mind that some of the benchmarks actually test the graphics card more than the processor(s). :) But they're sure fine machines. There _is_ of course to be said that within 12 months (but we don't know whether it'll be tomorrow, in six, ten or 12 months, really) there'll be PowerMacs based on intel's chips.

fryke said:
Just keep in mind that some of the benchmarks actually test the graphics card more than the processor(s). :) But they're sure fine machines. There _is_ of course to be said that within 12 months (but we don't know whether it'll be tomorrow, in six, ten or 12 months, really) there'll be PowerMacs based on intel's chips.

Yes, in an exclusive Newsweek interview (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10853916/site/newsweek/) Steve said that intel based PowerMacs would not be available until the spring or summer '07.

Since I cannot wait 12 months :), I think I'll buy a single dualcore PowerPC 2.3 Ghz soon. :)

That would be directly opposite to Steve Jobs claiming that ALL Mac product lines would switch to intel in 2006. Then again, I read that interview, and I didn't read 2007...? What he said was that _Photoshop_ etc. would not be available until Spring or Summer - of 2006!

PowerPC said:
Yes, in an exclusive Newsweek interview (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10853916/site/newsweek/) Steve said that intel based PowerMacs would not be available until the spring or summer '07.
I don't see that in the article. I only see this:
Your heavy-duty professional machine is the PowerMac, and it hasn’t gotten its Intel transplant yet. Won’t this kill sales in the meantime?
Yes and no. If you’re an individual that’s probably true, but if you’re a business, you’re thinking, “I’ve got someone who’s going to use this four hours a day with PhotoShop. Photoshop might not be available [in native code] until the spring or summer, and I need Photoshop native. So I better get one of those quad PowerMacs while they’re still around.”
No mention of '07 or the release date of Power Macs. He did say during his Keynote at the Macworld Expo last week that they would update all their lines to use Intel processors this year. AFAIK that's the latest information to come from Apple.

PowerPC said:

Since I cannot wait 12 months :), I think I'll buy a single dualcore PowerPC 2.3 Ghz soon. :)
Not sure why you thought he said that, but he doesn't mention anything about a release date for the Intel Power Mac's. And fryke's right - he mentioned in the MFSW keynote that they are planning on switching every Mac to the Intel processor this year. Only ones left are: iBook, Mac mini (I'm guessing Yonah single core, which is due out later this year), Xserve and Power Mac (which I'm guessing will both get minimum 2 dual core processors in 64-bit).

Back