Why buy an Apple?

thats a good question... can new macs work with linux? :confused:

---

Hulk i understand where you are coming from, its a fine line really, but i think if a pc user comes here to get info about macs, we should be truthful about pros and cons, or if a pc user switches and has complaints we should listen and try to help instead of jumping on them for being a pc user....

you know im not saying blindly agree with anything pro pc, i just think that trashing on someone who switched and was a little dissapointed, but still likes his mac, is a bit harsh.. is no one allowed to used a pc once they use a mac? as mac users i thought on a whole we were above that... part of our elitist-ness ;)

Originally posted by Jason
thats a good question... can new macs work with linux? :confused:

Mandrake 9.1 PPC and YellowDog Linux PPC work just fine with new Macs too... I don't know about other distros however...

Hulk i understand where you are coming from, its a fine line really, but i think if a pc user comes here to get info about macs, we should be truthful about pros and cons, or if a pc user switches and has complaints we should listen and try to help instead of jumping on them for being a pc user....

you know im not saying blindly agree with anything pro pc, i just think that trashing on someone who switched and was a little dissapointed, but still likes his mac, is a bit harsh.. is no one allowed to used a pc once they use a mac? as mac users i thought on a whole we were above that... part of our elitist-ness ;)

As I posted before your own post, I can understand someone who has problems with Macs (and I know that many people do have problems with Macs) and wants to solve his/her problems but in this post, one more time, we simply had Wintels VS Macs...

Of course I can post a book about how bad the situation here in Greece is about Macs and that Apple sucks HUGE time for not giving us greeks the fair treatment and how great Wintels are here in Greece but would this really do us any help here as community? I think we all know that it would be hopeless if not stupid...

When you want Apple to treat you right you go ahead and give them some feedback here: http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html instead of posting left and right, iWhining about anything Apple...

As for being truthful here about Macs and Wintels, I think that people around here are a lot more truthful than other computer forums... Maybe we are a bit more passionated about our Macs but that's it :rolleyes: :p :D ;) :)

Originally posted by binaryDigit
Can't speak for cellfish, but I can tell you that Ghost is a wonderful product (well at least for this particular application). At the last place I worked we used it extensively and it rocked. Makes doing multiple machine setups a breeze. Not quite as good as doing remote machine installs over the lan once you have things setup, but to get a bunch of systems up and going for the first time it's hard to beat. 350 is not a major stretch when you do the math. That's 175 per person, assuming a 12 hour day (not too bad), that's about 8/hour. If you have 4 machines a piece then 8/hour is easily doable. Disconnecting the drives and rebooting would be the most annoying thing and the process would be tedious as hell, but doable.

If the machine configs that these hd's were going into were the same (or very similar), then there shouldn't be any other config/mucking about necessary other than to change their machine names on the network.

While we're on this subject, is there an equivilent app for the Mac (other than dd)?

I think that even you replied a bit too fast...

We were talking not about just 350 Wintels in a building but about 350 Wintels which are part of an ISP company... I don't know about your experience with ISPs but the situation is A LOT trickier than just installing basic stuff like OS and apps with Ghost or other similar apps... It takes research, planning, etc. and in the end you need more than 2 days work to accomplish such a deal... And this is before we even bring stuff up like Wintels not being all the same hardware and stuff... :rolleyes:

I think that in order to reply for such a project one should pay a visit to the ISP, keep notes, analyze then fall into any conclusions and not reply ASAP just because you have to say something... I for one, know for a fact that you need more time... A lot more time than 2 days... :rolleyes: If you think otherwise please find an ISP of a similar size and have a go... I'll be around here! :p :D ;) :)

hulk, i say send a bunch of angry letters to apple, all in your jedi speak, im sure that would work ;)

anyways i think this is all said and done

Originally posted by hulkaros
I think that even you replied a bit too fast...

We were talking not about just 350 Wintels in a building but about 350 Wintels which are part of an ISP company... I don't know about your experience with ISPs but the situation is A LOT trickier than just installing basic stuff like OS and apps with Ghost or other similar apps... It takes research, planning, etc. and in the end you need more than 2 days work to accomplish such a deal... And this is before we even bring stuff up like Wintels not being all the same hardware and stuff... :rolleyes:

I think that in order to reply for such a project one should pay a visit to the ISP, keep notes, analyze then fall into any conclusions and not reply ASAP just because you have to say something... I for one, know for a fact that you need more time... A lot more time than 2 days... :rolleyes: If you think otherwise please find an ISP of a similar size and have a go... I'll be around here! :p :D ;) :)

Actually I was assuming that he was talking about the time to actually do the physical ghosting, not the planning etc. I would agree that 2 days to actually start from scratch ("hey Bob, we just got these here 350 machines from Dell today, what should we do with'em?") is not realistic, but then again I didn't think that's what he was referring to. Once you've settled on a proper image, then the actually mechanics are very simple.

Not sure about your comments about ISP's. What are they like that makes them so different that a ghost solution is somehow out of whack? I've seen many well funded isp's with rack upon rack of the same server, perfect fodder for ghost images. Now I've also seen smaller isp's with all manner of junk scraped up as well, and this scenerio would obviously not lend itself to ghosting. Is that what you're talking about? Please elaborate.

Oh, and btw, have you seen the latest Hulk trailer? Actually pretty cool.

Originally posted by Jason
hulk, i say send a bunch of angry letters to apple, all in your jedi speak, im sure that would work ;)

anyways i think this is all said and done

Hulk to PC fans:

hulk, "These are not the computers you're looking for"
pcf, "these are not the computers we're looking for"
hulk, "99.99% of all pc's suck, they are the pathway to the darkside"
pcf, "pc's suck, the darkside"
hulk, "the Apple Store will show you the way"
pcf, "lets go to the Apple Store, they will show us the way"

I said I would shut up on this thread, but that is too good!!!!!

Maybe I'm just in need of a good laugh, binary, but that's hilarious.

Have a good weekend everybody, I'm internet deprived until next Tuesday.

Actually I was assuming that he was talking about the time to actually do the physical ghosting, not the planning etc. I would agree that 2 days to actually start from scratch ("hey Bob, we just got these here 350 machines from Dell today, what should we do with'em?") is not realistic, but then again I didn't think that's what he was referring to. Once you've settled on a proper image, then the actually mechanics are very simple.

Not sure about your comments about ISP's. What are they like that makes them so different that a ghost solution is somehow out of whack? I've seen many well funded isp's with rack upon rack of the same server, perfect fodder for ghost images. Now I've also seen smaller isp's with all manner of junk scraped up as well, and this scenerio would obviously not lend itself to ghosting. Is that what you're talking about? Please elaborate.

Oh, and btw, have you seen the latest Hulk trailer? Actually pretty cool.

He he he... :D Ang Lee makes me look cool, ain't he? ;)

Ghost is fine in some cases and surely will find a use in the scenario mentioned here but the problem is that ISPs never have the same hardware... They never have all their computers doing all the same tasks... They have mostly vertical customization here and there... Actually one may use a lot more than 10 different Ghosts for 350 boxes... And even then problems appear in settings here and there... Also, you have to spread the installation/setup according to the way the company works and ISPs work 24/7 if not some times 25/7 ;) And no matter how much of planning one does always something out of the blue occurs in such operation... :mad:

Anyways, that's not the point... The point is that Macs are better than Wintels by a long shot!

:D :D

I'm just kidding :p ;)

Hulk to PC fans:

hulk, "These are not the computers you're looking for"
pcf, "these are not the computers we're looking for"
hulk, "99.99% of all pc's suck, they are the pathway to the darkside"
pcf, "pc's suck, the darkside"
hulk, "the Apple Store will show you the way"
pcf, "lets go to the Apple Store, they will show us the way"

:D :D :D :D :D ;)

Back