Why do you place every single app in your dock?

qwikstreet: So does it bug you when you go over to someone's house and they have 89 books lined up on one bookshelf? Would you rather they sorted those books onto 11 different shelves by genre, author, or subject?

What I'm saying is it's all personal preference. Frankly I'd rather have everything together in the Dock (not that I have much in my Dock) because I wouldn't have to hunt through 11 different Docks to find whatever I'm looking for.

Could you post this screenshot of 89 Dock items by any chance? :)

Actually, i put my most used apps in the dock...system prefs and ichat arent there cuz they have their own locations.....
Finder, Safari, iTunes, Photoshop, MSN, Dreamweaver. Then: Applications, Trash.
that's all.
I think that too many make it look ugly... then u gotta keep it small. It's just called laziness.... i click on apps folder then press whatever letter it starts with and open. Why DO you put every app inside?

I'm a minimalist too. Only my most used apps are in the dock. For quick launch, and to drag multiple files onto the icon to open. I use Fruit Menu to stash all my other stuff. One Classic feature I just can't live without. Well, that and Window Shade. Not a big Genie fan, but that's another topic. If anyone misses the Apple Menu, and loads up the dock instead, get Fruit Menu. I've used them since OS X first came out. Highly reccomend.

I actually learned about them both here, but here's the link for anyone who didn't know, and is interested.

unsanity.com/products

Just wanted to add the same. LaunchBar rocks for this stuff. Got 6 permanent icons in the Dock...

Uhhg, cabbage: no offence or anything, but that looks nasty *pukes* ;)
Who needs LaunchBar or FruitMenu or whatever? I just have a link to my Applications folder in my Dock, it works really well! :)

My permanent icons (from left to right): Finder, Mail, iChat, Safari, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, iTunes, System Prefs, Terminal, TextEdit -- Applications Folder, Home Folder.
Finder: I can't remove (wouldn't want to :))
Mail: I don't use it too much, but I like it there :)
iChat: is on ALL the time, I like to have it there for when I want all my chat windows at the front.
Safari: is also on all the time
Fireworks and Dreamweaver: why I got this computer. :) (can't wait for MX 2! I am 'borrowing' MX right now)
iTunes: this one just got in a few days ago, but I usually have it open now, even if not running
System Prefs: I make changes every once and a while, and I hate digging through folders that much :)
Terminal: same thing
TextEdit: I do some PHP in here if I don't want to open Dreamweaver, also good for opening system files and things.

I used to have Address Book and AOL in here, but I don't use them that much, so they were just cluttering it up.

Originally posted by dlloyd
Who needs LaunchBar or FruitMenu or whatever?

To each their own—Obviously. Top left is just habbit for me. Also, I'm not a fan of click and hold or CNTRL Clicking. And it's one less thing out of my dock. And it's very customizable. Whatever the case, I like it.

Originally posted by dlloyd
Uhhg, cabbage: no offence or anything, but that looks nasty *pukes* ;)
Who needs LaunchBar or FruitMenu or whatever? I just have a link to my Applications folder in my Dock, it works really well! :)

I have a pismo 400 MHz and I've tried putting the apps folder in the dock...it's waaaay too slow. Drives me nuts.

FruitMenu works great, especially since I now have contextual menus on a click and hold (ala FinderPop back in the day...).

Highly recommended. :D

Originally posted by qwikstreet
They can do what they want but I seen this one desktop pic that had 89 icons on it.

Sad that I sat there and counted them. :( Oh well, my employer paid me for that time wasted. :)
Don't forget it also shows all of the applications you have open.

I don't ever shut my computer down and I rarely quit programs. (With OS X's virtual memory there is not really an reason to.) 1/3 of my Dock is probably these things that are open...

From a technical standpoint it just seems silly to quit an aplication simply to "unclutter" the Dock.... but I'm not really sure how Apple can do this any differently with brining back the OS 9 style Applications menu...

I use Key Xing to launch my most used apps. I added the applications folder to my Apple Menu using Fruit Menu, which lets me easily navigate to any app I have. This way my dock gives me a clear picture of exactly what I've got running (those litttle triangles under the running apps in the dock are so hard to see). I find this a much more efficient way to switch between apps.

Ooooohhhh.... Spinnining....

Okay... sorry for the tangent. This is the first time I've seen bigbadbill's avatar and I got sucked in for a moment.:D

my dock tends to get cluttered. but i do try to keep it simple. a few apps i use regularly, some folders. after time though it just sorta fills up. like right now. i have like 20 things in there. too much. time to clean house i think

Can't beleive this post is still going on. I feel like a hypocrate for starting it. Ever since I got broadband I've been a downloading machine. I got all these utilites so I now hav 7 icons up next to my clock, 5 different docks, each having different apps and folders on it. A little organized, but still over the top.

Originally posted by qwikstreet
Can't beleive this post is still going on. I feel like a hypocrate for starting it. Ever since I got broadband I've been a downloading machine. I got all these utilites so I now hav 7 icons up next to my clock, 5 different docks, each having different apps and folders on it. A little organized, but still over the top.

Damn those broadband connections... :p :D ;)

:)

Rocket Launcher is a good alternative and uses some space in the menu bar. I have a handful of things up there that I use on occasion, but not regularly enough to put in the dock.

Back