Why does such a small % of the population use Macs?

This is what I got:

Your Type is
ISTJ

Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
56 11 44 78

Qualitative analysis of your type formula
 You are:

* moderately expressed introvert
* slightly expressed sensing personality
* moderately expressed thinking personality
* very expressed judging personality

When I first took the the Myers-Briggs test as a sophomore in college, one of my biology professors administered the test. He expressed his wishes to the class that if anyone knew about the test to please not tell anyone else what it was about. He later went over parts of the test and what they mean. However, I'll never forget the expression on his face when he saw my raw scores. He said "Oh my gosh!" with a strange look on his face. I was concerned. I thought something was wrong with me, like I was some freak or deviant. I asked one of his graduate students what it meant and she would not say as she smiled back to me. My professor took me under his wing, so to speak, and was rather helpful early on my career. He was rather pleased to find another INTJ like himself, only I was a true blue extreme INTJ.

Regarding the sales people luring and trapping people into fearing Macs, I agree completely. My parents who are into photography, asked me about whether to buy a PC or a Mac. I told them my opinion, especially since they were going to be working with graphics. They spoke to several people at different companies around town. One person suggested Macs because of the graphics software and the rest of the sales people said to go with PC (of course). Unfortunately, when my parents were looking into buying a computer price was not a factor but with Apple being close to death a few years back, my parents didn't want to take the risk of spending thousands of dollars on a computer by a company that might not be around very long. Hence they are now slaves to Bill Gates. They have had at different times serious problems with their PC, all M$'s fault (at least they bought a REAL IBM and not some knock-off brand).

i am guessing that whoever moniters that site will be extremely puzzled why so many INTJ's are showing up so close together!! it will likely throw all their statistics into a flurry and they will postulate numerous theories that range from the influence of the moon to cold weather to the site malfunctioning:p

so more folks should be taking this and really throw them off!!!

btw - i still haven't found my scores, but i also was just like the person who gave it to me. i know i am introverted (just barely) and feeling. the others i don't recall.

software. people say this. mac dont have the software so i buy pc. pc's are cheaper and faster. those are i think the only 2 arguments why anyone would buy a pc. the problem is the mac is as Steve said not about speed anymore but what you can do with it and the mac is fast enough for doing those things. somewhat fast enough. also gamers are better on the pc then mac cus there's a lot more, so there it is again, more software on pc. if what you do is on mac then people should get macs. if not then get pc. most is on mac though cept games really.

Whew!

I'm so glad to know that I'm in the good company of intellectuals here at Press 3 (1% of pop. that is INTJ) . I did not expect to see such a homogeneous population of personality traits. And I do think there is some correlation with our personality traits and Apple's market share, at least with Apple's current corporate philosophy, pricing, etc... It does seem to have found a niche among the INTJ's. As for the other remaining 95% of computer users who were/are bullsh*tted by Bill Gates and his goones, well, I suppose you'll have that, tisk tisk tisk. I suppose that the bell curve corresponds not only to the general population as far as intellectual ability, but to industries and sectors as well. I think there is some correlation to be drawn here where "average/mediocre" = "Micro$oft". Micro$oft only has to be as good as it has to be to the general population to maintain its monopoly. This is not intended to be flamebait, but I do think there is some correlation at work here.

For anyone who would like to know more about how YOU tick, check out:

http://www.queendom.com/

This place is for the intellectual test junky and has a lot of good tests.

chemistry_geek et al. - to clarrify:

the myers-briggs is a personality inventory. it strictly measures personality traits or styles. it measures essentially the same thing as the Rorschach test (inkblots) which is actually more reliable and has greater validity.

it is NOT a measure of IQ in any way, shape or form!!
the two primary valid and reliable measures of intelligence are the WAIS-III (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) and Stanford-Binet.
iq tests you take online do not provide valid measures of IQ

do not confuse the two different kinds of measures.

there are bright, exceptionally intelligent people of all myers-briggs types!!!!!!!!!

Ed:

I'm very familiar with the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory, the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, and the Wechsler Memory Scale. I've taken all three. But my point is, if you're reading this forum, you are not likely to fit into the mold of the general population, and, I've never encountered an individual who is both INTJ and developmentally impaired. That doesn't mean that they don't exist. And when I refer to someone being developmentally impaired, I mean someone with some developmental impairment from birth arising from a specific genotype or array of alleles that caused the impairment in thinking. The INTJ personality type implies an individual who has very good abstract reasoning abilities, hence the "NT" in INTJ. Abstract reasoning is directly correlated with IQ. Take a look at the Mensa test and try to find patterns in its questions/problems - that is not easy either. I looked at the test quite some time ago and I'm not a member of Mensa. I just never had the motivation to pursue attempting to enter that organization. I think you have to be exceptionally bright to get into it. Someone on the opposite side of the spectrum of an INTJ, such as an ESFP, would more likely rely on EMOTION for making decisions, which we all know is not exactly sound reasoning. I think an ESFP would likely be swayed/lured/trapped by the suave charm of a Micro$oft salesperson simply because of their personality, would not investigate other options in detail. Incidentally, Madonna is a member of Mensa - surprised? Yeah, me too.

As a side note:
Now, a salesperson working for some large company in the sciences or engineering knows all too well, either by unfortunate experience or trained by management, that scientists can see through bullshit. They don't have time for it, and most importantly, trust is lost immediately with that representative if untruths are flaunted. A salesperson working in the sciences must really know his/her background, or else the sale is lost forever.

Male INTP
11 56 22 11

looking for female
36-24-36-5'11"

I wish your sample size was large enough to be meaningful, but I wonder if you could string this question along on another test and see if you could find correlation on a larger sample size. You might really have found something.

I went to 3 (back in 1988) and found that it was the worst money I've ever spent on anything. The people were not very nice at all. By the third meeting the only person I was socializing with was my (then) wife.

And what is up with WAIS anyway? 6 test for verbal, 4 for performance? We should want people who DO things rather than people who can just talk about doing.

I think it was Groucho Marx who said I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member. Maybe he was thinking of Mensa. ;)

i think if you went to any professional computer show with people who are as into their computing as you all are, you would find that there is a general disrepresentation of INTJ types. same with a hard science gathering. it is the personality that draws one to to fields like this - a place where one would fit in. Lots of power windows users and techs would be there as well.
what i am saying is that there is a big leap to correlating mac users with a personality type. and if i had to guess, apple probably has more F types than T as a customer base. Those 6 million imacs have a lot of emotional appeal to them. not to mention ibooks. and how often on this board do i hear the arguement for owning a mac being "fun" or "nicer".
also you need to be context specific when you state "ESFP, would more likely rely on EMOTION for making decisions, which we all know is not exactly sound reasoning." this might be true when doing many tasks especially purchasing a computer on a whim which sort of relates to the original question of the thread. but emotional reasoning can be more useful than logic in other areas. when it comes to human relationships, T's are often poorly equiped to make good sound decisions while F's do. there is a developing field around the idea of "emotional intelligence" and there is plenty to show that it is equally as valuable a possesion as what modern IQ tests measure. maybe more so. My guess is that Steve Jobs is an F.
My response has been to your initial statement which implies that INTJ's are at the top of the IQ bell curve. this is not right. there is little evidence to suggest that any personality style is equated with higher IQ. In fact the only correlation known to exist with IQ is another measure of IQ.

I will break for here, but it is so cool that you have gotten in to my area of expertise.

:cool:

ok i just went and took the MB over on the site:

INFP
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
11 56 33 56

which is actually a very suitable profile for a therapist.
it is most likely why i enjoy what i do.
and why i am having a harder time with the dissertation part of the program than i did with previous years!!!

oh and i did know madonna was a mensa member and no it doesn't surprise me at all. again there are many different ways to use intelligence and high IQ is represented in all personality types.

racerx- the wais-III measures performance and verbal comprehension. but performance has more to do with what chemistry_geek referred to as abstract reasoning while vc is more closely associated with education. it is not neccesarily about doing vs thinking. thinking is involved in both measures. but to illustrate my point, i gave a wais to a friend as part of my training. while it could not be considered valid, the results confirmed my opinion of my friend. He never finished high school but has owned several of his own businesses. one was very successful for many years. He scored just below100 on vc and 129 on performance for an overall IQ score of around 110 . his overall would have you believe he is of average intelligence. but when you consider his lack of formal education, the 129 is probably much closer to his real score. For most people there is not more than a 10 point difference between vc and perf. so the overall is more representative.

Ed, this is too cool that you're a therapist.

Now we have an expert here to work out all the details with this thread. I agree that the Myers-Briggs would detect/capture all the tech heads, power users, etc..., but I still think there must be something in common with computer users who prefer macs and users who prefer PCs. It may be that their professional careers demand working on that platform, but when given a choice of platforms where identical programs exist on both platforms, some % of the pop always use macs. I think that some other test is needed to further refine and sift through the INTJ techies. Perhaps what I'm mentioning can be shown with the current Myers-Briggs through statistical analysis (which is used heavily in psychology), i.e., through the differing degrees/ranges of I's, N's, T's, and J's. It may just be a more stronger form of perfectionism in being a detail freak, I don't know, but I think something is there.

Regarding F and T making sound decisions in relationships, you are definitely correct there, T's can make married life difficult where F's are much better in relationships.

I know that INTJ aren't any more intelligent than other personality types, there are different types of IQ to measure, i.e. emotional IQ, physical IQ (applies to athletes), etc... I know we all think differently. What I should have clarified, is that I was glad to be in the company of other INTJ's...birds of a feather flock together.

Its what Steve Jobs said the other day...Dell is like WalMart. Its huge, it has everything you really NEED, and its cheap. Sure, you wont find the best clothes there, but you wont be naked either.

Apple is like The Gap. The clothes look much better, and are of much better quality, but they cost a bit more and appeal only to a certain percentage of the population who are concerned with how they look and feel, and who realize that paying a little more now will save you the headache of having to mend your clothes all the time (ok, maybe I'm stretching this metaphor)

My wife had a great idea...Jobs sits on the board of the Gap, and Mickey Drexler (GAP C.E.O) sits on Apple's board....it seems to me that these companies share quite a bit in common (e.g. the whole branding thing, the same demographic of customer)...anyway, she thinks there should be some kind of joint effort...put some iMacs in the Gap for people to enjoy while they are in there. They wouldnt be for sale, but they would increase exposure, which is really what Apple needs (and is doing with the Apple Stores). Those Gap customers are the people who will buy Macs, so why not let them see how great they are in person. Who cares about the WalMart customers...you'll never convert them anyway.

INFP

I think the Mac is perfect for people who are visual learners.

I was always a visual person. My father and brother were into the technical stuff when I was a kid, but I was always just playing with the graphics programs. Give me a terminal or Dos and I'll have none of it. I do a lot of programming, but I wasn't the least bit interested in it until you could easily get real visual feedback.

I also think its important that you can use a Mac without knowing how it works. You can instantly use it without feeling overwhelmed. You become savvy over time. This system is better. This is why Linux will never take over the world.

Quote from Ed
racerx- the wais-III measures performance and verbal comprehension. but performance has more to do with what chemistry_geek referred to as abstract reasoning while vc is more closely associated with education. it is not neccesarily about doing vs thinking. thinking is involved in both measures.

Not doing vs thinking. Verbalization is not synonymous with thinking. Some of us have verbal handicaps, in my case, speaking-hearing is dealt with differently from reading-writing. I have no "inner-voice" while reading and at times don't assign sounds to words. In my research, I was the only person at my school specializing in my area of mathematics (the person supervising me was 1500 miles away at SUNY-Stony Brook), which meant I didn't have anyone to talk about my work to (who would be able to understand it anyway... except Prof. Freedman, but he was in a parallel field) so I had not assigned sounds to a long list of terms which I read and wrote on daily. When my Professor and I finally got together I had to translate everything he was saying as if it was in a foreign language.

As for the test itself, I was given the test on a regular basis from the time I was 8 up to the last time when I was 28 (5 tests at almost 4 year intervals). My verbal score over the series dropped almost 10 points, my performance increased until the last two times when I spiked off the scale (both the last tests where taken when I was spending 24/7 working on differential geometry and differential topology, so the people giving the test didn't seem that surprised). Spatial problem solving IS thinking, be we, as a society do not give it the same weight as the ability to verbalize. I look at people like Admiral (and the like) with envy at their ability to pick up other languages when I have problems with my native language. And the raw knowledge part speaks more to exposure to information than cognitive ability. Like I said, I believe IQ tests are weighted towards the strengths of the people who are making them.

I like chemistry_geek's idea of other types of IQ's (I know he is talking about the seven types in that book by that guy who's name escapes me right now). My sister spent her whole life training to be a professional ballet dancer (which meant she didn't see high school that much), and the test I took didn't take into account my athletic abilities (10 years of track and field, ranking 13th in California in the 110m high hurdles in my last year, after that math took over my life). Again, we are subject to what the designers of the test consider important.

What is interesting is that it seems to that people with abilities in other areas seem to find Macintoshes to be better computers. I can recall code junkies in high school being VERY happy that computers seem to only work for them. And most my Windows clients talk about other IT people belittling them when they need help (and not explaining what it was that went wrong). Creative people want to be creative. They don't want to have to learn how to use a computer to start creating, and though not to the same degree as it once was, this is still true of Windows today.

I think dlookus may have hit upon something here with visual learners preferring Macs. I am a visual learner. I learned of this when I took the Wechsler Memory Scale several years ago. My visual memory was ranked in the "very superior" range, but my auditory memory was in the "high average" range. A psychologist explained to me that this is basically genes at work. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to improve these modalities. Your brain is hard-wired for these. Perhaps the Mac (how it works, is organized, graphics, etc...) meshes very well with visual learners.

dlookus

When you say visual learners are you a user of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) or is it just a coincidence you used visual as a description.

I ask cos i myself am just getting into NLP and find it quite interesting.

Back