Will firmware updating fix printer issues?

jsnap

Bohemian
I've been having printer issues on and off with my hp OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one for the last year with some programs, especially ThinkFree Office and Quicken 2004. I've contacted HP and they brushed me off saying it's an Apple problem. I know HP is lousy on support and they tend to say it always some other guys problem. I'm so frustrated by them.

I've unistalled old HP drivers and installed the latest one twice today. Also did the Driver update but still no luck.

What exactly is firmware anyway?
How do I know if I need to update it?
What does this fix?

I haven't updated much on my G4 outside of replacing HDs with bigger ones and keeping up with the OSX updates. Now running 10.3.9. Do I need to do a lot of updating on other stuff inside?

Firmware is a combination of software and hardware. Computer chips that have data or programs recorded on them are firmware. These chips commonly include the following:
ROMs (read-only memory)
PROMs (programmable read-only memory)
EPROMs (erasable programmable read-only memory)

Firmware in PROM or EPROM is designed to be updated if necessary through a software update.

The firmware for your machine is here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068

You need to run this in OS 9 though (not Classic).

I have heard more problems with the all in one machines, that I don't think they are worth their weight in pennies.

What problems are you having?

Run it in OS 9 (not classic)? I'm not sure how to do that. I don't ever use classic anymore for anything. I'm not that savvy I guess.

Printer problem addressed in another thread.

Back