Windows Networking and SMB Error -5000

griz

Registered
Can someone set me straight on something? I am working on a network where we use a Win2k server as out central production server. We connect to it from Macs and PCs. Currently the majority of Mac users are on OS9, but we are testing OSX.
I have been connecting to the Win2k server from OSX using AFP and using an IP address which connects to the server through Mac Services.
I have been attempting to connect to the server using SMB and seemed to have some luck. The server mounts, but when I try to open it from the finder, it disappears. Now any attempt to connect results in an Error -5000.
I guess my main question is this. Are there benefits to using an SMB connection vs. an AFP connection through Mac Services. Also, what is the purpose of Dave when windows networking is supposed to be built into MacOSX? I am surrently not using Dave and don't particularly want to.
Lastly, is it possible to locate a server in the Connect to Server menu and then have it connect via IP rather than AT without having to know the IP address?
Thanks for the help.

Also, what is the purpose of Dave when windows networking is supposed to be built into MacOSX? I am surrently not using Dave and don't particularly want to.

The reasons are becoming less and less distinct. I believe Dave still has a slightly more compatible (this is not necessarily the same thing as "mature" or "advanced") implementation of CIFS and surrounding protocols when working with Windows machines. I don't have any technical details here, but connecting to servers and transferring files has always seemed a bit more reliable to me, and I haven't found a way yet to allow Windows machines to connect to and use the HP printer on my Mac without Dave.

I also believe that Dave is a bit more reliable when connecting to NT4 domains than Apple's integrated SAMBA is.

I have been connecting to the Win2k server from OSX using AFP and using an IP address which connects to the server through Mac Services.

You know, I've never thought to try this. I haven't really looked myself to see what I need to do, but what did you install to get AFP running on Win2k? I seem to vaguely recall an "Apple Services for Windows" or something similar.

Quote:
what did you install to get AFP running on Win2k? I seem to vaguely recall an "Apple Services for Windows" or something similar.

We have Macintosh Services running on the Win2k server. But I seem to recall that the Mac services on the Win2k is an archaic and feeble attempt to get compatibility between these systems. I'm assuming that Apples implementation of samba, when applied correctly would give a more reliable connection directly to the Windows shares. If we could get OSX users to connect directly to the Windows box without the need to Mac Services, I would hope the performance would be better.

Back