Windows Vista's Revolutionary New Features

MrNivit1 said:
The original GUI idea yes, but not the more recent advances that this thread talks about (expose, searching, etc...). That is just straight M$ copying from Apple (which they can barely do well anyways).
Exactly my point.

iball said:
Where did I "re-write" history?

With statements like this:
iball said:
Apple saw something that had a future at Xerox Parc and ran with it to creat their own "version" of it.
Microsoft saw something at Apple and ran away with a copy of it to make their own "version".

Apple had permission to copy Xerox but Microsoft went behind Apple's back and stole without Apple's knowledge. Your statement absolves Microsoft from the act of stealing.

Think about the logic. Apple spent only days at Xerox while Bill and company had months with the prototype Macintosh.

The makers of Pirates of Silicon Valley actually had that part right.

it was settled in the courts in the 80's.

apple said, "you nicked my GUI!"
MS said, "maybe, but you nicked it it as well",
to which apple said, "ah... well, i've heard you smell!"

and the judge told them to stop wasting his time.

at least, that's the Ladybird book version.

Apple bought the rights to Xerox's stuff. I forget how much (I think it was mostly stock), but they bought it.

And Apple and MS settled out of court in '97-ish. MS bought a crapload of Apple stock and agreed to continue making Mac software for x years, and Apple agreed to stop suing them. I still hate Apple for making that deal...

They wouldn't have won in court. They were turned down a couple of times before it. That deal is why you're still using newer Macintosh products.

fryke said:
I just don't know anymore where to move all these Vista threads... They shouldn't really be in Apple (!) News & Rumours. But because we also talk about Mac stuff in these threads, they don't really belong to the Café either. Opinions? Those should basically be about Apple stuff, too IIRC... So let's keep this one here for now...

As long as Apple maintains a viable customer base and innovative ideas, who really cares what MS come up with? Their OS has always been like Swiss cheese, i.e. reasonably solid (in terms of market share) but full of holes (in terms of security). Vista will be not different.

Give me a Mac 'Stilton' any day, i.e. an acquired taste (well we are in the Café).

The whole idea of companies taking something from another is nothing new. Car companies do this all the time. Appliance companies as well. In the scientific community scientist take prior research and may even better modern medicine, etc. In many cases this practice has helped rather than hurt.
It should not be expected that the computer industry is above this practice. In the case of m$, it just appears shabby. Especially with the recent exposure of the Macintosh people. Even hard core PC people visit Apple stores, play with the display models, etc.
In my view, it is not that M$ took some ideas from Apple and made them more productive, they just took the ideas so they can justify selling Vista. That just appears to me as shabby.

Back