Wireless Mice.......An Unecessary Gadget?

Mobius Rex

Registered
I just can't grok them. I mean, what's the point? They still need a USB connection, and they need batteries. And they cost more. No wire? So what's the problem with a wire? I've never found a mouse's wire a problem.
If you like wireless mice, cool!; whatever titillates your gonads. But I'd really like to know what the attraction is(???).
Anybody?

A bit unnecessary, but no trailing wires and portability (as in, I can move from computer to computer at work and take my 'decent' mouse with me,) are the 2 advantages for me.
Generally I agree with your comments and at home I do have a wired mouse for my old pc.

They do not require a USB port (that little thing called Bluetooth!) - they are great for MediaPC's - I have a Mac Mini that I operate as a media pc on a 100" monitor from the couch, about 15' from the PC (wireless keyboard too) - I personally find the wire a pain in the butt... so have been using Bluetooth mice for a couple of years. With my laptop, it just tosses in the bag, no wires to deal with and I have much more versatility on placement of mouse to pc or laptop.... just my double lincolns

I love my bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse for my iMac G5. I wish I had the same thing on my PCs right now, but that would mean plugging in one more thing to this one PC. It looks like it's on life support with all the peripherals connected to it! :p

My reasons are threefold. People don't like to see wires. That why in your car, everything electrical is covered by plastic panels (that and safety, i suppose). It's a matter of aesthetics, mostly. I have enough clutter in my life. I don't need wires helping that.

Also, there's the issue of cord length. Apple's mice bite rocks, for the most part, so many sub out with other USB mice. Tho in the PC world, it's not uncommon to see a 6 foot mouse cord. And since most Mac users plug their mouse into their keyboard, 6 feet is way too much.

Third is the issue of portability. Not that cables take up so much space, but they get tangled very easily. I keep a Kensington wireless mouse with my iBook. It stores the USB dongle inside the mouse itself when it isn't being used. Very handy.

[/rant]

i have it because i really don't like tension on the mouse. a wire affects movement. and the batteries last about 18 months. the only problem with this one (microsoft) is that reciever is the size of a mouse, and on a 6ft cord. but i can hide that. i think the designer forgot to take logic pills that day.

Back