wireless powerbook

spb

Registered
Hi,

I have a Powerbook G4 that has an airport extreem card built in. I'm shopping for other wireless network cards.

I have two questions.

1) Do Powerbooks support PCMCIA cards? There doesn't seem to be place to plug one in, but I really know nothing about Macintosh hardware, so I asking here.

2) How do you know if a piece of hardware will work on a Mac. So many things have the windows emblem on the exterior of their box -- does this mean that the hardware works for Wintel machines only?

Thank you,
sb

1) On the 15" and 17" models, yes, there is a PC card slot (on the left-hand side of the notebook, I believe)

2) Look for a "Mac" logo on the box. If there's only a Windows logo on the box, then chances are it won't work with a Mac, unless it's "generic" enough (like a USB hub -- USB is the same whether it's intended for a PC or a Mac). Best idea: get a piece of equipment in mind and ask here. Chances are that someone has had some experience with that particular piece of hardware and can answer your compatibility question.

Thanks,

I have a 12" powerbook which explains why I can't find a PCMCIA slot.

It's good to know that the USB hardware is generic. In addition to the wireless card I'm also looking for a firewire/USB external hard drive that I can use with both my Linux workstation and Mac powerbook.

sb

Back