WOrd for Mac Book Pro

jgrossho

Registered
Does anyone know when Office for the new MacBook Pro will be available.
I am running Office 2004 ostensibly with Rosetta and having trouble loading it on my other machines Would buy new copy if it would make any difference and was going to be available within a short time.

jean

At this point, I think the only ones that know would be Microsoft. In the meantime, you can download NeoOffice which is OS X native (no X11 required). Or you could wait until OpenOffice.org comes out with the OS X native version also.

NeoOffice and OpenOffice take a long time to load. Also they do not render properly many WORD documents.

Office 2004 _works_ on intel Macs. Mac OS X 10.4.8 will bring quite a bit of Rosetta performance enhancement, I hear. What exactly do you mean by "trouble installing" on your other machines?

NeoOffice and OpenOffice take a long time to load. Also they do not render properly many WORD documents.

"Long time" is a reative term depending on the specs of your Mac and what you consider to be long. Both suites open at about the same time as the versions for Linux and Windows, and I don't find it to be that long (I have an iMac G5 2 GHz with 512 MB RAM). It's maybe a little longer than loading Office on WIndows. Not that bad.

But yes, I do have to agree that there are a few gotchas here and there when converting documents to or from Office. But they haven't been that bad at least in my usage. Even still, I compare the converted file on an actual copy of Office for Windows just in case. :)

Regardless, it's still a great office suite and it's much cheaper than Microsoft Office for any platform.

Not if you know how to load them fast. for OpenOffice, just disable the Java in OpenOffice option, that will not use the Java to make it run. Oo_O can run without Java, but there is some feature that require for java to run.

my Oo_O on my Window Xp can render my .doc file without a problem. and it can render my Excel file too without a problem. So since i been using Mac right now, im waiting for oo.o to release a OpenOffice OSX native.

Back