X 10.1.5 Update - keyboard mappings

Klink

I believe the keyboard mapping or services for the F keys have changed with this last update. For the worse that is. Can another Apple keyboard owner confirm for me please?

The gist of the problem is the loss of switching between the Apple's hardware variable settings F key set (sound level, monitor brightness, etc) and a standard F key set. The Apple set is always in focus or active. Problematic with all programs utilizing F keys, no?

What I've specifically noticed so far are changes in the behavior for;
-fn key plus F# key no longer maps to the Apple hardware variable settings. Ex., monitor brightness, sound output level, CD tray eject. But does still work as before in conjunction with the arrows key set (pg dn, pg dn, home, end / and err... arrows).
-Option key plus F# key now launches related hardware System PreferencePane.
-Command key plus F2 key, an oddity, seems to force a video interrupt? It's too fast for me to measure visually but there deffinately seems to be a momentary break in the video bit stream. But this could be an unrelated finding.

Took a look in the update .bom file for clues to related file changes.

lsbom -p MUGsf /Library/Receipts/MacOSXUpdate10.1.5.pkg/Contents/Resources/MacOSXUpdate10.1.5.bom

./System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework
./System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework

I think there are more frameworks involved with these Apple hardware F key services. I'm poking around the PreferencePane Keyboard executable file for involved references (frameworks, classes, etc) and hope to get a diff list some time soon. But if someone beats me to it... :D
Perhaps it's as simple as downgrading the keyboard prefpane.

What do you think, is this a problem or feature?

Back