X.2.7 to Panther or do X.2.8 first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigamux

Registered
I finally got the nerve and went to Jaguar from 9.1. All and all, it is better than I ever dreamed it would be. Now, I am at 10.2.7 and have gotten the Panther CD's in the mail ready to install. I know there is 10.2.8 out there but do I really need to do it before I do Panther? Seems like an unnecesary step, but I want to do it correctly; since everthing is working so well with the Jag under my hood. Thanks in advance

If you want to be sure everything will work great on panther as well, don't update. Just make a fresh install. And for that it's completely unimportant which Jaguar you have.
If you really want to update, than do it from 10.2.8, eventhough I think there is no huge difference. Who knows, maybe apple added some kind of preparations for panther in 10.2.8?!!?

No need to install the 10.2.8 update before going to Panther. Won't make any difference.

bobw said:
No need to install the 10.2.8 update before going to Panther. Won't make any difference.

As I suspected, I will do the upgrade early in the morning and skip going to 2.8. Thanks for the quick reply, I had looked on the Apple site, but could not find guidance; but knew I would find it here. Gigamux is out of here.

I took the plunge and did the Panther upgrade on my PB 12 rev.B between breakfast and my shower this morning before going to work... of course, I had already spent the few hours the night before backing and cloning my system to an external FW drive which will stay away from Panther for now.

I'm simply blown away at how smooth the upgrade process went with the Archive and Install option. I don't have anything particularly funky about my configuration (no hacks, etc.) so migrating was pretty straightforward.

The only apps that seemed to have "broken" were Little Snitch 1.0.3 and PGP 8.0.3 Freeware which were quickly solved by reinstalling from scratch. Otherwise, it went about as smooth as it could.

If only words could describe how silkly smooth 10.3 feels compared to 10.2.8. I've noticed that the battery meter was not as optimistic about battery life, but seems to be much more accurate. With 10.2.8, I was getting reading of 4+ hours right after unplugging, but this dropped down to 3.5 or so. Doing a normal usage test (mail, web, Yahoo messenger, etc.) and I'm on course for a 3.5 full use as indicated by the meter.

Cheers.

Gigamux said:
As I suspected, I will do the upgrade early in the morning and skip going to 2.8. Thanks for the quick reply, I had looked on the Apple site, but could not find guidance; but knew I would find it here. Gigamux is out of here.

legacyb4 said:
I took the plunge and did the Panther upgrade on my PB 12 rev.B between breakfast and my shower this morning before going to work... )

Since I, Gigamux, started this thread I realize that I must also put it to bed. I did my upgrade to Panther from 10.2.7 and it was a BREEZE. Took about 45 minutes counting reading the read me file and taking my time to pick out all the language files that I did not want cluttering up my hard drive.

Panther seems just as fast if not a little bit faster than Jag. I still have to go to classic for a few old apps that I have been addicted to since the beginning of time. One of them Clarris Cad still works seamless under panther! All is well and if no one objects, lets put this subject to bed.

BTW, My computer is a G4 Powre Mac 1.25ghz. I also upgraded my wife's new iMac 1 ghz as well as my daughter's TiBook G4 400 mhz. Panther is a little slow on the TiBook, but still for the stability and the future, I say OS X is here, use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back