X Files!!!!

changomarcelo

Friend of the elves
June 27th 2002: This morning I wake up early and I visited Apple.com. I downloaded the image of the "Switch" ad using Internet Explorer 5.2.
Then, I decided to check the size of the JPG file: 168 KB. It seemed a very big file, so I decided to do the same procedure from my Windows XP PC.
I used Internet Explorer 6 and downloaded the same image. The result: 21 KB!!

So, what´s going on?? Why does the Finder shows me 168 KB for a 21 KB file?
Well, I`m aware that the file size is always different from the size of the file in the disk. For example, the size of the file in the disk in WIndows XP is 24 KB.

After that, I used another app for OS X to check the file size (RBrowser Lite, or something like that). The size of the file checked with this programm was 21,8 KB.
That seemed more normal, but why does the finder shows 168 KB?? Is that the size of the file in the disk?? Is that a finder bug?? What is the real size of the file in the disk??? 168 KB in the disk is a lot of space for a 21 KB file!!!

You'll also notice that if you do any image manipulation using the built in tools the file size drops dramatically. I have a number a 1+ meg images. If I rotate them they drop to a couple of hundred k. I've never bothered to check whether this is real or not.

Back