X11 window problems

willmac

Registered
Hya, when I use a window manager other than Aqua-wm in Apples X11 all the windows that I invoke appear with their title bar under the Menubar on my desktop. Is there any way around this problem?

Cheers, will

Originally posted by willmac
Hya, when I use a window manager other than Aqua-wm in Apples X11 all the windows that I invoke appear with their title bar under the Menubar on my desktop. Is there any way around this problem?

Cheers, will

What version of the X11 server are you running? I know it's been a known bug, I thought it was fixed in Beta3, but not positive on that.

Brian

I am using version 3 of the beta and the problem still there. Its not so bad with icewm because you can grab the window and pull it down but, in many other window managers, this problem makes them pretty much unusuable in my opinion.

will

For the most part Apple is really focusing it's X11 server on using quartz-wm. They have no support for running non-rootless, and have no plans to ever do so. Basically they are working on it to seemless allow avg. mac users to access X11 applications. For those people who want to use window managers and all that jazz XDarwin is still probably the best bet.

Brian

I suppose that using windowmanagers other than Aqua-wm does not fit with Apple's user interface guidelines, so I can see where they are coming from on this.

I would like to use XDarwin except that replacing X11 and installing XDarwin (along with sorting out Fink and various apps that I installed myself) would probably be quite an undertaking for a newby like me. One other thing that is preventing me from doing so is the apparent lack of hardware acceleration (according to posts in their forum) in full screen mode. I miss having the ability to run the X server in full screen mode. The reason I moved to X11 was the hardware acceleration it offered.

I am sure that there must be some way though of telling Apple's X11 where to place new windows. Unfortunately my knowledge of the config files for X11 is zero :)

Will

hmmh, frm what i hear, the v1 of X11 that came bundled with WWDC preview can do both full-screen and rootless...

Excellent if true. Plan to buy the new OS when it released later this year. That alone would make it a worthwhile buy. Ta for info

Will

Back