X11 with secondary monitor

peppe

Registered
Hi,
I'm using my PB12'' with a second monitor. All works fine except the X11 environment.
At work I use the an external larger monitor (MIRRORING OFF) but when I start X11 all the windows I launch from X11 appear in the primary PB display. Of course when mirroring is on it works but the external monitor is driven with the same resolution of PB's one.

It seems to me that X11 use the two monitors as just one, this is strange and useless since I don't want to move every windows from one monitor to the other. With Linux I have one X servers and two displays:

mylinuxbox:0.0
mylinuxbox:0.1

but this isn'tn the case on my PB.

Any hints, suggestion???

thanks
peppe

What you want to do isn't possible. X will only see the desktop as one big desktop as thats how it's presented by the OS to X11. What you're seeing on linux is possible because the drivers for the video cards are part of the X11 server where in OS X the video driver is part of Quartz and X11 just interfaces with Quartz.

Infact, people hvae spent years trying to get two monitors to act like one on X11 because they hated what you love :)

Brian

Thanks, you're right!
But with a PB15'' it works since you can close the powerbook and keep its screen off so the whole output is sent to the external monitor, while with PB12 i can't close the lid because the air fan need it open.

I'll try to play with the geometry options.............

Thanks again
peppe

Back