Xbox or ps2???

I think for MS dial-up is out of the equation for Xbox more for practicality than for persuasion. To get good online gameplay, you need a fat connection, and it helps to be able to just plug it in and be online than have to dial up your ISP to get on.

As for the Halo issue, Johnny pretty much confirmed what I was saying about it. How many people do you think have an Xbox simply for Halo? Without this game, the Xbox would pretty much be a nonplayer.

My friend has Xbox for Halo. But, he recently got a couple other games.

I have been Nintendo all the way...however I did not buy a Gamecube. I think I am through with consoles. If I had to pick between PS 2 or XBOX, I'd pick PS2, because they have an amazing game selection.

Which is better a pc or a mac?

Before I start a flame war think about it, that question will never be resolved neither will the console war.

I own all three next gen consoles, purely because they each have their good points and there bad points. Get the system that 'grabs' you the most, that has the games and lifestyle you want.

I'm a Total console gamer. Been one for a while, my hobby is games, and the news behind them. I own a GCN. I could only get one console so went for it. Your not going to find Nintendo's games anywhere else and they already have one of two worth the console purchase alone. So my take on it.

The PS2: Games, games and more games. You'll find some really worth wild ones, and bags on top of bags of really bad ones. The graphics on these game are of course the weakest and load times are also the longest. But the PS2 is also the most supported ANYWHERE. Online, ebay, stores to your grandpa 's garage. And has a fully working DVD right inside. Down side, it's the worse power pushing console out there. No HDTV support or decent Surround Sound Support. Also it's one of the worse built. Some people buy up to 3 PS2s because on how they break, with help or on their own. Sony is even criticized by Capcom for making them so cheap they are meant to break. Now for this system, you need Memory cards that cost about $30 each. They are required. The controller is well, simple. You shouldn't have any trouble understanding it. Oh and it has online gaming, dome games are even free.

Xbox: The best Power pushing console there is. 20% more powerful then a GCN. So Xbox only games and multi-console games shine on this system. It is also the console with the most features, the best accessories support (HDTV, Theater Sound LAN gaming). Microsoft also goes a good way to get some super games for the system. Sadly though, their strongest line up ever has been nothing but delays. Some are even risking to be next gen games. Then you have Xbox Live, sounds good on paper, and for the most part is. But like playing in a public gaming store, there are people just out to fool around and will be a pain to play with. It's also BB only and cost $50 a month. Really good deal. Now this baby has a HD so no cards are needed. And the controller, is well, depends on the person. Some like it others don't. The big picture here is, if you get a Xbox, you just feeding fuel for Microsoft's dream of talking over your living room.

Gamecube: This be the system I own. It's the middle console as they say, often way over looked and underrated. And for it's own reasons. First though, this is the only console you'll find Nintendo games. That goes form Mario to Metroid to Zelda ect. it's needs cards but they are the cheapest in term of price out there and the console is very well built with the lest amount of problems. The controller is has a really good glove design to it. Down side is some button lay outs and the fact it has the less amount of buttons. GCN games also cost the most because of the disk formate but have decent to Xbox quailty graphics with the fastest load times. Some bad promoting for the console though has slip it from some stores. So finding good prices on it's games isn't always easy. Speking of the games, you have issue 2 with the GCN, the kiddy image and that's Nintendo's own fault. There are games that will up front seem to kiddy for your taste and there is not a lot of mature titles on the console. Plus no online gaming.

Microsoft makes no money off Xbox boxes; rather, they lose profits on the device and (hopefully) gain it back from the titles. So you could cost Microsoft money by buying an Xbox and not using it, even if you just wasted $200 (or whatever they cost).

I like Larma's point: buy what suits you best. I think that's what I've been trying to say for the most part; I may have come out anti-Xbox, but I love Halo and I'm really anti-console. Somewhat.

Yep arden, it's all down to what you personally want. You want to play GTA dont bother getting anything but a PS2, like wise for Halo, which while good is wearing thin with me.
IMO there is only one TRUE games console: the Gamecube. It cut out the bloat and only plays games, what a games console is designed to do. Shame it just ain't got the backing to keep pushing it. Most highstreet stores in the UK are cutting down on GCN gear. :(

I'm reviving this thread because Santa was good to me. I got an X Box and I must say it freakin' rocks! The graphics are amazing, great sound and the load times are good. Hooking it up to broadband this weekend.
My SO also got me 2 wireless controllers which are awesome, the vibration is really great.
My old console was a PS1 so it was time for an upgrade. When I went back home a few weeks to visit the parental units, I played Madden '04 on my Dad's PS2 (he's retired and digs some gaming time, which is cool) and it was good, but not that big of a leap (imho) from PS1.
I didn't get Madden (yet) for the X, but the games I did get, Halo, World Tetris, SW: Clone Battleground (included in set along with dvd setup) and Syberia, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six3, NBA Live '04, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu, Superman: Man Of Steel and The Sims: Bustin' Out, all looked and played awesome.
I'm glad I have a 3-day weekend coming up so I can still find time to hit the gym between gaming.
Plus, the best part is my SO was worried about getting me one since she knows my lack of affinity for M$, until I told her that the company actually loses money on each Box sold.
Anway, just my $.03 on it. ::alien::

I like the X-box, and PS2. I choose the x-box for the online play and hard-drive to save games. There may be more games for the PS2, the x-box games are good, and generally the graphics are better. If it is possible get both. LOL

I've become very jaded when it comes to games and systems so nothing really floating my boat at the moment, looking for something to fill my void but here is my 2cents.

Sold my Xbox didn't have any replay value for me even owning numerous titles not to mention rented quite a bit as well to postpone the inevitable, as for the controller issue the fat boys were just an eye sore. S model no significance of use either since they placed buttons differently so took a few minutes to relearn pattern of black/white select/start. You can buy a adapter to use the PS2 controller on your Xbox just to let you guys know. And as stupid as it may sound yes Halo is the only game worth purchasing the Xbox for at the moment.

PS2 has so many titles that are so affordable especially coming into used games makes you wonder if you should go to a movie/ or order a pizza/or gas-beer-cigarettes or buy a game. Got so many titles that hold such memorable moments in gaming it's a big + because the menu goes on+on

Pros and cons Xbox a system you would buy for cd player, 4 ports for controllers, built in hard drive, awesome graphics and fast load time Online gaming machine for sure. $180 for 2 games and a 2 months on line time.
the bad $30 gimmick to get the dvd player to work, games are too expensive so renting is the main way to game. Purposely hold out on there good titles to compete with other companys release dates of good titles.

PS2 backward compatible with PS1 game library (huge),DVD player, cheap games so replay value up the yang! Will only be $130 in September!!!
only 2 ports for controllers you could buy a splitter? $25 and up for a memory card (Sony). Load time is horrible also will have disc read error on dvd's or even games quite a bit! Still $200 W/1 game

So there really a toss up, you should buy a Gamecube only $100 with 4 free zelda games for value and wait till September to get a PS2!!! Pros and cons on game cube are 4 ports plus a unique size to protect from pirating so they can spend more money on quality games instead of lawsuits!
cons need memory card, some say the controller but I say beat Metroid Prime and you will prefer this controller over all others! Well just get use to it is what I'm saying. Anyways sorry for the rambling just hope it helps you, So goodluck on the console war.

satan258-

How are PS2 games cheaper? New releases for both consoles and Gamecube are at 50$. XBOX also has a Greatest Hits line, called Platinum, and games cost 20$.

I used to be a big PS fan and owned lots of titles and lots of accessories. You need accessories when you are buying a bare bone console, sort of. My PS2 had the pleasure of blowing more money on the multi-tap (4 controller), extension cables (XBOX controllers are longer), network adapter, DVD remote, memory cards, memory cards, and more memory cards. Sadly, I bought the PS2 at launch and the netwrok adapter at launch. I bet you I spent over 600$ in hardware alone.

Needless to say the PS2 was dying. It was giving disc errors every attempt. The fan was louder than my TV at times. So, I had to break down and trade it all in for an XBOX. Guess what? I haven't looked back. My main reason for the M$ product was the great online community they developed. This is quite a top notch feature. The game titles are superb and there are quite some outstanding games, especially in sports (includes driving) and FPS.

My recomondation is XBOX. The only M$ equipment allowed in my house.

Back