XDarwin

chaddage

Registered
I just downloaded the Darwin ISO and installed it on my laptop. When I boot up it drops me into a shell and waits for a command. I've run several Linux distributions before (mandrake, gentoo, slackware, and lycoris), but I am unable to start the mac os x graphical user interface. I am really looking forward to the interface, but when I get x to start I get an awfully ugly desktop with only a few colors.

How can I start/install/setup the environment I see on Apple computers everywhere?

Thanks,
Chad

Are you talking about downloading the Darwin distribution for x86 boxes? Or, are you talking about XDarwin which is a port of the XFree86 X server to OS X?

If it is the Darwin distribution for x86, you have Darwin, which is the core of the OS. All the pretty things are part of Quartz, which only runs on Macs. All you have with Darwin is a Mach kernel UNIX based on FreeBSD.

Brian

So I can't download the interface that Mac OS X uses? That was the main reason I wanted Darwin, heh. I can't afford a mac, only the parts for a pc to built myself :/

Nope, if you want to run the cool interface, you need a Mac. You could always look at picking up a used iMac or G4 tower on eBay to save some money.

Brian

chaddage,

Darwin is the Open Source release of the Mac OS X operating system. Is available free of charge and with full source code.

But it does not contain Quartz, Aqua, or any other related technology.

Quartz is the graphics engine in MacOS X who has full control of the screen.

Cheers...

Back