xfree86

WeeZer51402

Registered
I recently installed xfree86 on my machine and when I log into console mode and run startx i get the xfree86 grey backround and the x but then i get the spinning cd in the corner of the screen and thats all that happens...any help?

I think the freeze is caused by XWindows not properly releasing the display to the console, or something along those lines. Normally, you should only see that when you exit, suggesting perhaps XWindows is having a problem even starting up. You might want to take a look at OroborosX, which will run XWindows and Aqua simultaneously. It helps get around some of these little problems.

Try to start X11 from terminal.app with:

startx -- -fullscreen

and post here the log-messages.

Cheers...

well I tried startx -fullsceen and got this error
"Fatal server error:
Quit the Mac OS X window server or use the -quartz option.

OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
giving up.
xinit: Broken pipe (errno 32): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): unexpected signal 13."

It seems this is caused by a bad ~/.xinitrc file.

Please, post the contents of your ~/.xinitrc file.

Cheers...

Originally posted by WeeZer51402
Quit the Mac OS X window server or use the -quartz option.

Doesn't the -quartz flag indicate that you're trying to run an old version? The latest version uses:

startx -- -rootless

See if you need to update.

Chris

chabig,

You can start XFree86 under Mac OS X via startx from Terminal.app with:

1- startx -- -fullscreen (you tell the server that it should run in parallel with Quartz)

That will start up the server in fullscreen mode, plus the clients in your .xinitrc.

2- startx -- -rootless (you can start it in rootless mode with the -rootless option if the server you have supports rootless operation)

You can also start with the -quartz option but it no longer selects fullscreen mode, but rather uses the default mode set in the preferences.

WeeZer51402 problems 'seems' to be with his ~/.xinitrc file, *if*... he has one.
Code:
xinit: Broken pipe (errno 32): unable to connect to X server 
[b]xinit: No such process (errno 3)[/b]: unexpected signal 13."

Cheers...

Back