Yet another Personal Freedom Thread (was: School bans iPods)

what ever happened to kids listining to teachers? when i whent to school , if a teacher said they didn't want to see my cd player during class, or they'd take it, i left it in my pocket or bag till class was over. i think we need to be teaching the kids to make good decisions for them selfs, not making it for them. the world is a sad place because we can't even dissapin our kids for fear of 'child adbuse'. the kids have us in the palm of their hands and they know it too! teachers can't slap them on the hand, or even take ipods away for the whole year ( both were things they could do when i was a kid, well, not the ipod because they weren't out yet, but whatever i brought that the teacher told me not to they would take). and parents get mad at the teacher, instead of the kid. every thing is way backwards. i hate to see what the world will be like in 20-30 yrs when these kids are in control and find out that life is really hard and doesn't go their way, most won't be able to handle it.
well, time to end my rant and get off the soapbox

sinclair_tm said:
what ever happened to kids listining to teachers? when i whent to school , if a teacher said they didn't want to see my cd player during class, or they'd take it, i left it in my pocket or bag till class was over.

1. Basicly, all of us have already agreed that the teacher should have the right to tell the student to put their iPod away IN CLASS.

2. If the students are the ones being directly affected by authority, shouldn't the recipent of consequence have some say in what is being done? If authority punishes the student however they feel necesary, with no student feedback, how would they ever know if their method of discipline was correct? What if their method seemed to "work" for them, but it actually had no affect on the student, or a negative one?

A lot of you guys have brought up points pertaining to human freedom and rights. Please remember the context of this debate; this is a highschool, instituted in order to educate teens. Within this highschool, there is no need for an iPod. Yes, you say that you can use it as a harddrive, etc. but there are ready ways around this (the typical school paper will still fit on a 3.5 floppy). Using it as a distraction from bullies (I think pds brought that up) is a great idea...except that there are bullies throughout life, and iPods will not always be available:-^ There is not even a good reason to allow iPods in the lunch hour, or outside of class. These are highschool students, remember! That, in many instances, would be absolutely impossible to enforce (I'm sure most of you can remember your highschool days).
To those of you who have brought up the "human rights" card. This is not, and cannot be related to, the sort of political repression that is rampant in today's dictatorships. This is what we must fight against!

(By the way, I think this is a really cool debate, and I congratulate both sides for maintaining their cool, and presenting actual arguments. That's very rare these days.)

People who think that this is an attack on personal freedom: get off your high horse :)

In high school - you have no freedom -
There are acceptable clothes to wear, there are acceptable things to bring in, there are acceptable actions to take. It is a FREE educational institution and you are required to abide by their rules.

Until you are 18, you basically don't have a lot of freedoms, someone will always tell you what to do, whether it is your teachers, you parents, your coatch or your drill sgt :p

Back