Your iPod Capacities....

CreativeEye

Registered
I'm wondering whether I'm getting the most out of my 40GB iPod Photo.

Currently I've got 2990 songs / 738 pictures which are taking up 14.96GB.

The songs are pretty much all mp3's encoded at 160kbps, 44.100mhz, joint stereo.

The pictures are sync'd from iPhoto - and the iPod prefs are set not to include the full-res versions.

As much as I'm in no real danger of running out of space anytime soon - I'm hoping to find out what sort of capacities others are running their iPods at? Do you feel I / You could be getting more onto your 'pods?...and how do you go about encoding tracks in the most efficient way?.

Any feedback much appreciated.

i have somewhat the same amount of space you use for music/photos in music on my 40GB iPod(no iPod photo, so i don't have any photos).

since my music only takes up somewhat 1/3 of the space available i also use the iPod to back up my harddrive. since my iBook is only 30GB, i suits well onto my ipod, and that way i'm sure not too loose anything important should my iBook break down.

thats my use. 13GB music, 17GB back-ups..

alex.

I have a 60. I have close to 8,400 songs (album art for every song), 1,005 photos (including full-sized backups). I have another couple of gigs used to storenotes, calendar items, contacts and backups of work-related stuff. I have about 14 GB remaining.

When I first got my 512 MB iPod shuffle (I was "forced" to get the 512 MB version, because the 1 GB version wasn't going to be in the country for another whole week :p), I was pretty worried that I wouldn't have nearly enough space (I'd gotten pretty used to carrying around about 8 GB of content in my previous 15 GB iPod).

However, it hasn't really been that big a deal at all. I carry about 40 songs (about 2 hours) and 7 audiobooks (about 45 hours) around with me, slightly altering my playlist every couple of days.

The thing I really miss is the ability to divide my music into separate playlists, not so much the capacity. The pure convenience that the iPod shuffle's size and weight affords is simply phenomenal.

Kap

parb.johal@ante said:
I'm wondering whether I'm getting the most out of my 40GB iPod Photo.

Currently I've got 2990 songs / 738 pictures which are taking up 14.96GB.

The songs are pretty much all mp3's encoded at 160kbps, 44.100mhz, joint stereo.

The pictures are sync'd from iPhoto - and the iPod prefs are set not to include the full-res versions.

As much as I'm in no real danger of running out of space anytime soon - I'm hoping to find out what sort of capacities others are running their iPods at? Do you feel I / You could be getting more onto your 'pods?...and how do you go about encoding tracks in the most efficient way?.

Any feedback much appreciated.

My iPod 4G/40 has about 12 GB of music on it. Nothing else. It'll slowly be filled over time, until I buy a 6G iPod or something (I figure I skip every other generation, as I had the middle model of the 2G series and then the 'middle' of the 4G, as there wasn't a high-end 4G until the photos arrived).

My iTunes library is 14.34GB (4077 songs). I have a 20GB iPod (3G) (which will, eventually, get replaced with something larger when they get cheaper and I have lots of money to blow). My library takes up so much room since I tend to get nice Album Art for my songs, so that all gets synced (I wish there was a way to stop that behaviour, but I suppose that would slow down syncing considerably).

Regardless, I'm getting as-expected behaviour.

texanpenguin - interestingly - my itunes library is around the same as yours.

i'm at 14.35gb - but with 3006 songs...

so for the same capacity - you're squeezing in an extra 1000 tracks!

I have a 20GB iPod with 2667 songs on taking up just under 14 and a half GB - all AAC encoded at 192Kbps.

i have a 20GB 4th Gen and it's got about 9GB filled up with music. All my CD's are ripped at 192 AAC. I use the remaining space to backup documents and such to my iPod using Apple Backup 2, or to carry files that i need to print or something (it's formatted for NTFS so i can just plug it into a windows PC and it works.)

I have a 20 gig. I have it up to about 8.5 gigs. My old 20 gig that I drop and it broke
the headphone jack was full.
I like the new ipod much better.

I just ordered the new 5gig color mini in blue with the color screen. I hope they have a new game on there. Just showed up a few minutes ago on the apple store. should have it in a week or so.

What apple store did it show up on ? I looked on the US store but it isn't there. My friend has just bought a mini about a day ago and if they just brought out a colour mini for the same price isn't that abit bad on apples behalf ? well thats what i think ..

mi5moav - what's the point in making something like that up?

Apple doesn't make revisions to its current flagship product to that magnitude and just completely ignore its existence on its own websites.

Furthermore, I can't understand why you would say you bought it from Apple's own store and even claimed that it appears there, when that's something that is so easily refutable by ANY one of us!

Oh well :p.

4g 40GB.

I restrict it to fit on only 36GB (formatted capacity is 37.5, but filling it to the gills made it start crashing, so i set up a smart playlist of everything, limit on 36GB and sorted by most recently added, and set the ipod to only listen to that.)

i'm kinda thinking now, iconic or not, the blobby white'n'chrome is getting really dated compared to the G5, mac mini, cinema display and ipod mini design ethic now - please change the form for the 5G, apple!

Lt: I'd free up some more space if I were you! The iPod, when used with a Mac, is formatted as HFS+, and HFS+ likes to have around 15% of its capacity free. Leaving only 1.5GB available is much less than the recommended free amount -- perhaps that's why it was crashing...

then it just gets silly. 40gb becomes 37.5 becomes 31 gb. why buy an ipod 40gb that aparently holds 10,000 songs (which is bullsh*t anyway - has ANYone got anywhere near 10,000 on their 40gb?) but then restrict it 30gb.

it stopped crashing after i freed up about 700mb. 36gb is just comfortable. it was crashing when i was adding individual short songs until i had like 4kb left on it. capacity!

Back