01:02:03 - 04/05/06

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
it was brought to my attention that earlier today, 01:02:03 - 04/05/06 occurred.

kind of an interesting Number event thing

Doesn't work for us Brits, for whom it would be 01:02:03, 05/04/06.

We'll have that pleasure on the 4th of next month.

erh... 04 05 06? That's soooooooooo wacko. Month, day, year? What order is this in? Ah. American. Internationally, it was 06 04 05. Much less special, I guess. Or rather, it was 2006-04-05. Start using the international format, people. It really helps... *sigh*

When you pronounce it non-numerically, what do you say? To me, it seems natural to say "April 5, 2006" &#8212; month, day, year. That's the only way I ever hear it where I'm from. So that's the order we use when we shorten it.

Do they say "2006 April 5" or "5 April 2006" in other countries?

I have to agree, though; I don't like the American shortening with numbers. Numerically, it only makes sense to go year, month, day. The most-significant digit is always on the left, and the least-significant is always on the right. It also makes alpha-numeric sorting with computers SO much easier! Alas, this standard was not made with math or computers in mind.

Americans have this way of being stubborn about stupid things like date formats and measurements. I mean come on, what the hell is a foot any ways? And how illogical is the mile, most people can't even remember how many feet are in a mile. I guess basing everything on tens, one of the easiest numbers to work with, would just make _too_ much sense. To make things worse science in the states uses the metric system so then you have to deal with both. What the hell!? Someone dropped the ball on that one.

Stupid Americans!

- HateEternal, Stupid American (damn it) >_<

HateEternal said:
Americans have this way of being stubborn about stupid things like date formats and measurements. I mean come on, what the hell is a foot any ways? And how illogical is the mile, most people can't even remember how many feet are in a mile. I guess basing everything on tens, one of the easiest numbers to work with, would just make _too_ much sense. To make things worse science in the states uses the metric system so then you have to deal with both. What the hell!? Someone dropped the ball on that one.

Stupid Americans!

- HateEternal, Stupid American (damn it) >_<

a mile is 1,760 yards. 3 ft in a yard.

Mikuro asked: "Do they say "2006 April 5" or "5 April 2006" in other countries?"

Yes. Feels very natural to call today "Sechster April Zweitausendsechs" (well, it's 02:29 here, so it's the 6th already...). I guess the alpha-numerically logical year-month-day is not often used when talking... I understand that the thing with dates is historically grown and a habit and hard to overcome, but as others have already said in this thread: It just makes so much sense - in computers more than ever. Whenever I write a news blurb on my short story webpage, I name the file "YYYYMMDD_title.txt", and when looking at the directory through FTP, sorted by name, I have the stories in the right order. Just as should be, no? (A "newer" date is always a higher number in the international date format, whereas with the American ordering, that's not the case.)

Yeah. That attitude will one day save the, erh, no, not the world. Erh... What was it: Ah yeah - Traditions and sh*t.

Perseus said:
Yeah don't even get me started on Quarts and Pints.....ugh

No please - let us start on Pints. Specifically, the fact that there are 20 ounces in a real pint, not 16 as some weirdo nations maintain ;)

"A pint is a pound the world around," indeed! Humbug!

"A pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter." Less catchy perhaps, but it has the benefit of being accurate in more than one country...

Our diversity is what makes us all special. I will never let the so called "world" (when will people learn the US or Western Europe is not the world) government ever rule over me. I don’t know how Europeans can stand the European Union. I believe those countries are giving up their true identity for some intangible economic benefit.

Bollocks... Believe me: I'm visiting France, Germany, Italy, Austria quite often and those countries have not lost "their true identity" so far, and are not going to. It's a similar process to what Switzerland (in a smaller scale) has gone through in the past several hundred years. We're 26 "cantons" - and they *still* have their own identities as well as being Swiss all the same. I guess you know the feeling: It's not the same to be a New Yorker or a Texan, right? Still: Both are US-citizens and feel as americans as well.

It can only _help_ to give Europeans the feeling that they belong together, because that way they won't try to conquer each other. I hope that one day, we'll find a way to unite the world in this feeling. Probably needs an outside danger or enemy.

"Our diversity is what makes us all special." Yes, exactly. The important thing is to see that the diversity does *not* have to negate the unity. Think families. Communities. Cities. Countries. Continents. And, yes!, the world.

Back