1-2 Hrs. Straight Use = Computer Gets Really Warm + Very Slow (Please Help!)

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I have a 5-year-old iBook G4, which has performed like a shining gem - until recently. Lately, I've noticed that when I use my computer for an hour or two of straight usage, it gets a lot warmer than it ever used to - and then it lags horribly. Anyone know what could be the possible culprit? Is there a way to fix this? Or is it just time for a new computer?

A few important things to consider:
- I recently bought a third-party battery from OWC.
- I upgraded the RAM to 1.25 GB about two years ago (so I'm sure it's not a memory/space issue).
- I've run the cron scripts (via MacJanitor) and did a permissions repair (via Disk Utility), and I've rebooted, as well as resetting/clearing the cache of my browser.

None of the above helped.

All you need to do, is clean all the lint out of your fans and heatsinks, apply some new thermal compound and voila!

:)

All you need to do, is clean all the lint out of your fans and heatsinks, apply some new thermal compound and voila!

Uh ... and how do I do that???

I've never opened up the inside of my computer - aside from the battery compartment. I'm not even sure where the fan is located. LOL

You know what? This is really weird! For the past two days, my computer has been doing what I described in my original post. Tonight, I've been using it for several hours straight - and it's performing flawlessly and not even warm! What the...?!

Yeah, that's right - laugh it up. :p

Does anyone know what may have been causing the problem? It seems to be performing perfectly tonight - and staying cool, too. (See updated post two above this one.)

Very odd!

Yeah, that's right - laugh it up. :p

Does anyone know what may have been causing the problem? It seems to be performing perfectly tonight - and staying cool, too. (See updated post two above this one.)

Very odd!

Please consider updating Amie. Take my word Snow Leopard will fly on an Intel Mac (even a base Mac Book) and will make that old G4 look like ancient history.

Please consider updating Amie. Take my word Snow Leopard will fly on an Intel Mac (even a base Mac Book) and will make that old G4 look like ancient history.

I don't have an Intel Mac or a MacBook. I have an iBook G4 and, yes, I'm stilling using Panther. It's not an OS issue. I looooove me some Panther! :D

Why did you interject snow leopard into this? What does that have to do with a heating problem? Snow leopard will only run on an intel, so this doesn't do here any good lol

Why did you interject snow leopard into this? What does that have to do with a heating problem? Snow leopard will only run on an intel, so this doesn't do here any good lol

They were recommending that she upgrade from her iBook G4 to a MacBook so that she can run Snow Leopard.

I have to wonder if maybe the Mac was doing some diagnostic processes in the background when things got somewhat slow. Maybe even a zombie process?

Yeah, probably was some process that got stuck in a loop somewhere and used up all of your CPU's cycles. Explains all the symptoms. Dr. House would like it.

I have to wonder if maybe the Mac was doing some diagnostic processes in the background when things got somewhat slow. Maybe even a zombie process?

I'm searching the forums trying to find a reason for the wicked hang on my G4 quicksilver and saw "zombie process". Naturally I had to look it up and I think I hurt myself. Oh my head ... ! Can someone explain in right-brained english?

Amie,

The cleaning sounds like the key, but if all of a sudden it runs without getting hot, I wonder if you have another blockage to the cooling. If you are using it on your lap, perhaps your clothes are blocking the vents. If you use it on a table, is the table cloth soft or fluffy? Or on the carpet? or the bed?

Speaking of upgrading, what about updating? Have you looked on apple for any new firmware? That may be part of your problem, Although i think it might show up under software update...

Not positive though.

I found through professional experience that this does little to cool a heating issue. Not to mention an ibook G4 uses thermal pads and not paste. It would be a good idea to make sure vents are clean.

The first thing to check is go to applications/utilities/activity monitor and check your running processes when it is running hot. Post back here with any info you could provide from that.

Back