1 gig nano enough?

Mystic Gohan

Registered
Well my girlfriends birthday is coming up, she doesnt listen to thousands of songs. she mainly listens to some country, and christian rock. I dont want to spend a boatload of money on her, but I want her to have something nice. Do you think that this would be sufficient fo her?

The Nano would be perfect. Just one warning, the black iPod scratches very easily so go for the white model. Also for a bonus make sure you get a good looking pouch to carry the iPod in. Keys in pockets like to scratch the iPod.

I have the 1gb white iPod nano, and it is perfect for my needs. It holds photos, contacts, appointments, and a few hundred songs at a time. I usually shuffle these around to something different once a week. Battery life is about 10 hours, the screen is bright and the interface is excellent. She should love it.

Oh, yeah, make sure you charge it fully, and load it up with her favourite photos and songs before wiping it clean and popping it back into the box to wrap. Nothing beats being able to try out a new present right away, and the nanos ship with their batteries uncharged.

The 1 GB is enough, mainly because of two reasons:

1.) Any of the nanos will sooner or later be too small for your whole music collection, so with any of the nanos, you'll have to _choose_ what music to have with you instead of the whole shebang.

2.) 1 GB is still enough music for MUCH more than a couple of hours of listening. It'll hold between 15 and 25 albums. (This number varies with bit-rate used for encoding the songs and actual play-length of the albums, of course.)

My nano came fully charged, and so did my girlfriend's... my 60GB photo, however, did not. I would assume it's a function of how long the iPod had been sitting before being sold, and possibly, even where it was manufactured (IIRC, iPods are manufactured by different companies [well, two companies or so] depending on the model).

I think it's the perfect gift, and at $150 it's still awesome and hi-tech, but won't break the bank.

The idea of wiping it clean, loading it up, and repackaging it is great -- she'll appreciate the "thoughtfulness" of doing that, or whatever it is that women like... :p

for scratch resistance, I would highly recommend the 4Mac PowerShield (clear protective film). I have thrown out my case and can leave my iPod in my pocket with change and keys and it never gets a single scratch.

Friend of mine used gecko potective film, but it didnt perform anywhere near as well as PowerShield. I have Invisible Shield is good too.

well I went and orded the iPod for my girlfriend. I hope she loves it. I thank you guys very much for the positive feedback. I will borrow some of her CDs to preload it with her kind of music.

I'd advise putting it in a case ASAP, or leaving the screen protector on it. It was really a bummer when my new nano got scratched.. the face is like butter.
Also, if you engrave it, you can't return..

eric2006 said:
Also, if you engrave it, you can't return..
What do you mean by this? If you have Apple do the engraving, then the iPod carries the exact same warranty and is in no way different from an unengraved iPod -- you can most definitely return Apple-engraved iPods as you would any other iPod.

but i have never had any issues with my current G4 iPod, so i would assume I can only expect the same quality.

as for returning. I dont think she would need to return it. I think she will love it.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
What do you mean by this? If you have Apple do the engraving, then the iPod carries the exact same warranty and is in no way different from an unengraved iPod -- you can most definitely return Apple-engraved iPods as you would any other iPod.

In my experience, you can't. My mom tried to return her shuffle.. but they don't take back the engraved ones..

Apparently, the previously engraved ones don't sell as well..

(If there is a defect, they will repair/replace it, obviously)

Thats a shuffle though, no one would return a nano :)

Well, usually they won't let you return anything unless there's something wrong with it, in which case, engraved or not engraved won't make a difference.

If you're returning something simply because you don't like it or you feel you made a mistake in purchasing it, then that is up to the manager's discretion.

If your mom tried to return her shuffle because something was wrong with it and was turned away because it was engraved, that's just wrong! ;)

Yeah, on the side of the shuffle.

Apple will take broken engraved iPods. However they cannot promise the consumer that they will received an engraved replacement. And the service usually takes longer than a non-engraved iPod.

Convert said:
Apple will take broken engraved iPods. However they cannot promise the consumer that they will received an engraved replacement. And the service usually takes longer than a non-engraved iPod.
If you use Apple's online repair program, then the iPod you receive back will be engraved just as the one you sent in.

If you exchange the iPod in an Apple store and want a replacement right there on the spot, then no, it won't be engraved (obviously -- that would be spooky opening a new iPod to find it's engraved with your previous engraving!). If you want an engraded iPod back, though, they will be happy to send it off and have it re-engraved at no extra charge.

Back