10.1 New and Hidden Features

Strobe, open a new terminal window and try again. The preference doesn't take effect until you open a new terminal window.

the terminal app now lets you use control-click (or right click if you have a 2-button mouse) to copy, paste, and select all. Little, but hugely useful. Also, my ms intellimouse scroll wheel now works in terminal app and in the finder - without any special drivers.

even works in the editor on the VMS system I have to telnet into at work!! No more pointless clicking at 5am when I'm half-asleep and forget that my mouse has no effect!!

Slowly coming round to 10.1. It's not a great deal faster for me, and I've had to do about 4 reinstalls, but now it's slowly endearing itself to me.

I'm not sure if this is new to 10.1 or not, but if you command-click on an icon in the dock, it opens the enclosing folder.

To tab between controls go to the Keyboard System Pref. There are options there for tabbing among text fields and lists only or all controls. You want All Controls.

I agree. It is a nice feature.

-Rob

I believe a large part of why tabbing between controls often doesn't work correctly in 10.1 is due to lack of support on a per-application basis. When you build an interface, you have to specify which order the controls should be traversed. Under 10.1, things like buttons and checkboxes couldn't be navigated to by the keyboard, so most programmers probably only set up text fields and such in their interfaces. These will need to be update for each app before keyboard control will work correctly everywhere.

If any other developers are reading, don't rush to incorporate such keybording features. I can name a billion other HI problems I see in Cocoa apps which should be addressed. Things like misuse of file paths (instead of NSDocument which appears to use an FSRef), not setting or using file types, improper use of utility window widgets (Omni, please get a clue), drag+drop pointing to files and not data (Omni, you again), and so much more.

I tend to find Cocoa apps very frustrating. Not least of which is Terminal.app which is the most difficult app to select text in. Maybe I should port Better Telnet, turn it into a Carbon terminal.

Looks like I need to go out and get my self 10.1. :)
I was too lazy to do it within the past week.

This is a nice trick when you're using Cmd-Tab for app switching in the Dock. It seems that Apple took a hint from the OS 9 utility A-Dock..

When you have selected an app while cmd-tabbing, keep cmd down and press H to hide the app or Q to quit the app. Note that unlike with A-Dock, this happens immediately.

This is handy for all the keyboard people out there.

- aleph0
- xfinitegames.com

this Tabbing into Buttons is not M$!!! that did exist since the first graphical user-interfaces on UNIX and commodore AMIGA as well!... (while DOS was just the highest developpement on PC's!!!!!)
:D

The MacOS 9 command-tab was okay but you never know what order things were going to switch unless you have the Application Palette open. On my systems I always add the freeware extension "LiteSwitch" which is the program-switcher unbundled from GoMac. It has the same enhancements as A-Dock, with the H and Q keys to hide and quit applications, except it's only visible when you really want it. And of course it's totally free unlike Program Switcher.

Originally posted by cybergoober
If you open About This Mac and click where it says "Version 10.1", it toggles between that text, the build number and serial number. Probably already knew that, huh?
Hmmm... Mine only shows the version (10.1) and buikd (5G64). Why doesn't it show the serial number?

Originally posted by strobe
even MacOS 9 implemented command-tab
Actaully that is not a good example...

Apple implemented command-tab into the OS (7.1? 8?) long AFTER Microsoft had it in Windoze. They had this all the way back in Windows 3.1 and probably before.

In fact, the first time I saw command-tab on the Mac was when I installed that dog of an application Word 6. (That's not the only Windows UI elemnet that came with the crappy port.)

So command-tab only came to the Mac VIA Windows and BY Microsoft. (I think Now Utilities also had command-tab... and spring loaded folders... etc...)

I'm not supporting MS or anything... I'm just saying this particular example was not a good one. :)

Okay it's not for everyone, but I kinda missed the speak text feature in simpletext. If you have not noticed it's included in TextEdit 1.1.

I get so lonely when my mac can't talk to me

Back