10.1 New and Hidden Features

F12 - opens internal CD tray as well as my Que!Fire 16x10x40 FireWire CD-RW drive's tray.

About This Macintosh - only shows version/build number (no serial number) on a G4/400 PCI machine.

jiclark,

Are you getting duplicate email messages from your itools account?

I am set up the same way you are. I have a primary email account and an itools account. And, while my itools account doesn't have the option to delete mail from server, I never receive the mail more than once.

I assumed it was a server side deletion, but I could be mis-speaking. Does anyone know more on this subject?

I'd hate to have apple mad at me for leaving all my mail on their server because I get a lot of mail through that account.

FYI,

The selection of text is in a lot of email clients. It was in MS Entorage - MS Outlook (which the mail app really is). So I wasn't suprised to see it in the Mail app.

Originally posted by evildan
I am set up the same way you are. I have a primary email account and an itools account. And, while my itools account doesn't have the option to delete mail from server, I never receive the mail more than once.

I assumed it was a server side deletion, but I could be mis-speaking. Does anyone know more on this subject?

I'd hate to have apple mad at me for leaving all my mail on their server because I get a lot of mail through that account.

the mac.com accounts are IMAP accounts - you don't actually 'download' the email onto your machine in the same way you do with POP accounts. It always lives on the server unless you delete it.

yes, even if there's a CD in there, it automatically unmounts it and ejects the CD (finally).
I'm running on a G3 233 Beige desktop w/ addesso truform adb keyboard, the F12 key even works there.
tis great!

Originally posted by tismey

the mac.com accounts are IMAP accounts - you don't actually 'download' the email onto your machine in the same way you do with POP accounts. It always lives on the server unless you delete it.

mac.com has POP as well.

AFAIK, no. If you really need the serial number, although I'm not sure why you would, it's in Apple System Profiler.

I heard flashing your PRAM will get your serial number to show again on a G4. I think someone posted about it a while back somewhere, haha maybe in this huge thread? Anyways, that's just what I heard, I can't confirm it as I don't have a G4. I guess it's worth a shot if you want it back, though.

If you don't see serial number under About this Mac, then you won't see it in Apple System Profiler, either. Try Opt-Cmd-P-R to reset PRAM at restart. Continue to hold for 5 resets (No magic number, just once might not do it) Then if your logic board is capable of displaying Ser #, then it will be back. Looks like updating to 10.1.1 removes Ser # until you do a PRAM reset, at least on my system:D

Press Command-Option-D to hide and show the Dock. Of course this may have been in older systems, but I just discovered it for the first time. This quick switch-ability is something I know I'll use a bit.

Another New / Hidden feature

Press Command-Option-A to show the Application folder. This quick shortcut for browsing to application folder.

This feature has actually been around since the betas. It should be noted that it only works in the Finder and file dialogs - it's not a system-wide feature. In Internet Explorer, for example, command-option-a selects all. (Of course Internet Explorer simply ignores the option key, so command-option-whatever does the same thing as command-whatever.)

The other Finder folder shortcuts giagia didn't mention are openly listed in the Go menu.

Actually they are either depending on how you set up your email client it can be imap or pop3

I use it as pop3 imap just makes no sense... I want my mail on my machine.

Just thought you might like to know.

Cheers

I have two accounts in Mail: one from my ISP that is my primary account, and it's POP. My mac.com email account is my secondary account, and I don't see any options anywhere to make it a POP account... Could you tell us how to do it? Do I have to do it from my iTools account on the Apple website? I'll check into that.

Thanks, this forum is very informative!!!

John

I don't use the mail.app but I am sure it would work the same...

delete the mac.com account and create a new pop3 account, don't specify it as a mac.com account. do it like it was any other normal email account you add to mail.app

the settings are
pop3 server : mail.mac.com
smtp: smtp.mac.com

that's it

in fact let me give it a try myself just to confirm this.

yes absolutly it works I just did it in mail.app

cheers

POP is a separate port (110), you don't need to turn it on. You either have it or you don't. The POP and IMAP addresses are usually the same, and mac.com is no exception.

Originally posted by efoivx
the settings are
pop3 server : mail.mac.com
smtp: smtp.mac.com

Is this a new thing? I could've sworn when I first set up my iTools account you had to use your ISP's SMTP server to send mails. If this is a recent change then I'm glad, as it makes it a whole lot easier (and yes, the first thing I did in mail.app was to set my mac.com account up as a standard email account :D )

BTW, this is my first post here, so...

Hi all!!! :D

Hi GFive! welcome to the board

I have used itools that way forever so I guess it's not new.

Cheers

at first i found this not to work as well, but i did some experimenting and it happens that the space bar will select the button with the gray (or blue) highlite around it.

Back