10.1 Speed Not Acceptable

I have to say that it is true that the speed is not acceptable. The speed still can't let us feel comfirt. The resize of window is speeded up doesn't mean that the speed is acceptable. The windows switching is still very slow and in previous version the mouse tracking is very fine but now I always feel that the mouse is jumping.

In a word, the speed of the application lauching is based on the lag of other like mouse, windows switching and other things.

It still can satisfies the speed we need.

I did end up killing the numerous Launch CFM app that I saw... I think there's something that a lot of people aren't telling :D

It did speed up window scrolling tremendously though!

I know that some processes come up as "LaunchCFMApp" in ProcessViewer...

get the Process ID by clicking on "More Info"

go to terminal, and

ps "process id" (the number)

and... uh... like.. that's an app you were running...

duh... if you kill the apps, you're Finder will run faster, I gues...

I'm not sure, but I think most carbon apps will show up as "LaunchCFMApps"

This "Kill LaunchCFMApp" to speed up OSX reminds me of the time I used to play WarCraft II on PC...

at the beginning of the game, me and my friends will type "Hold Ctrl-Alt-Del for turbo mode!". It doesn't work every time, but sometimes, you see "whoever has left the game"

that was a great one GadgetLover.. LOL

The fact f the matter is that X.1 is faster than 10.0.4 in almost every aspect. However one thing most people tend to forget is that you are never going to see the performance of 9 in X for resizing and certain other tasks. You are going from a system that devotes 100% of its time to one task to a system that is doling out information to a 1000 tasks now. If you take away the multitasking then the X finder would blow the doors off the 9 finder anytime anywhere. Until we get machines that run either dual processors in the 800-1000 range or all processors are 1ghz you will notice slight differences in speed between X and 9. The main thing you can do to alleviate these speed differences is upgrade to a minimum of 512mb ram preferably a gig, run a VERY fast hard drive and a very fast video card. Also keep in mind the OS is young, further optimizations may make the speed differences negligable in day to day operations on hardware that is capable.

So essentially, dcantrel, you're saying, "OK, calm down -- it's really just that Apple has designed an OS to make 80-90% of their user base's machines obsolete."

Really, though, perhaps we can take a quick look at GNOME running on Linux PPC, examine the app launch times, screen redraw times, and other general visible indicators of speed, and wonder anew why this is such a problem for OS X -- and, in a more depressing vein, why the OS X project started with the mach kernel....

And claims of 10.1's improved speed are moot, of course, in situations where an upgrade to 10.1 from 10.0.4 has VISIBLY SLOWED a machine.

Sad as it is, Apple makes money off hardware, so a marketing scheme like that is not unexpected. What's new? Apple has always played the hardware marketing game. That's not to say we shouldn't call them on it though...

dcantrel brings up a very good point though. In a bleeding-edge GUI environment (particularly with processor intensive dynamic scaling effects), there is a big performance trade-off for Pre-emptive multi-tasking. I support this trade-off because it places more power in the user's hand. Want to start up an app fast? Don't move the mouse back and forth over the dock fast... In OS 9 the cooperative multi-tasking prevents users from sucking CPU when something is happening.

What Apple really needs to do to serve the customer base properly is to create a low CPU-usage mode of Aqua to speed things up on lower-end machines. I'm not holding my breath for this, however, due to fundamental flaws in our capitalist economic system. Fortunately for me personally OS X is running great (I was even using 10.0.4 as my every day OS) and so I'll leave the complaints to those with serious usability problems.

I think what the fuss is over is windows resizing. I did a clean instal on my G4 400 AGP. ( by that you mean in the update cd, click erase contents of the drive?) Anyways I did do that and for the most part apps launch quickly and windows drag fine. The problem is resizing the windows. There is a lag. In Windows, the place you click on the windows as you resize stays put exactly where you click on to. In 10.1 it moves around. It has improved much over 10.04 where there was a huge lage but I think this should improve.

Some one reply to this thread if they have a G4 400 and there is no lag at all in windows resizing. Maybe my install is bad?

Originally posted by beef
This "Kill LaunchCFMApp" to speed up OSX reminds me of the time I used to play WarCraft II on PC...

at the beginning of the game, me and my friends will type "Hold Ctrl-Alt-Del for turbo mode!". It doesn't work every time, but sometimes, you see "whoever has left the game"

that was a great one GadgetLover.. LOL

Oh yea, I remember that. We tried that quite a bit. It's hillarious when it does work! :D

I think GadgetLover posted that "kill LaunchCFMAPp to speed up OSX" as a joke...

if you must see it in the process viewer... just run a few apps, like iTunes, IE, and whatever you know to be carbon (a few things I know to be cocoa show up with their name... so I'm guessing this is carbon thing) you can narrow it down to "User Process" only, too...

and if you want to speed up OSX, kill these bastards.:D :D :D

Originally posted by beef
I think GadgetLover posted that "kill LaunchCFMAPp to speed up OSX" as a joke...

if you must see it in the process viewer... just run a few apps, like iTunes, IE, and whatever you know to be carbon (a few things I know to be cocoa show up with their name... so I'm guessing this is carbon thing) you can narrow it down to "User Process" only, too...

and if you want to speed up OSX, kill these bastards.:D :D :D

No, it REALLY does work. However, when you run a Carbonized app, it will relaunch. So, yes, you are correct in that it is a "carbon thing". But it is no joke.

so you run around killing processes without knowing what they are?

Do you realize that there's no single instance of "LaunchCFMApp" if you run top in terminal? or just do 'ps -ax |grep LaunchCFMApp'. You won't find anything but itself... all the LaunchCFMApp show up with their names in top...

logout/login (quit whatever carbon apps you run with startup script), run process viewer, and see how many of these "LaunchCFMApp" shows up... then run a carbon app... update the list... hey, there's one... kill it.. hey.. what happened to the app?

they are just carbon apps that don't show up with their names.

IF you have a REAL explanation on how this works, please let me know.

Maybe you killed an app that was giving you a spinning beachball.. then you did yourself a favor, but there's alot easier way to kill an app that's stuck...

Back