10.1 Update not quite 10.1?

Krevinek

Evil PPC Tweaker
Well, I finally got my copy of 10.1 earlier today at The Computer Store in Seattle. I immediately installed it after dinner and booted into 10.1 hoping for some interesting stuff. Speed/etc were good, even on my 8600/300, so I am happy.

One big thing hit me though. I went to check the build number for no good reason, and instead of the nice 5G64 build number many people see, and what I saw on a Dual 800 running 10.1 at CompUSA the day before... I see: 5J34...

What the hell? I realize The Computer Store got these just yesterday, but Apple seems to have been VERY busy pumping out code since Seybold and that the second and third round of pressed CDs show the fruits of their labor.

This is no joke guys, I am actually running 5J34. I cannot say what is different since the only other build I can get was 5G15 sent to us by Apple as part of the ADC October mailing instead of the 5G64 GM which was supposed to show up (which is why I went out and grabbed the 10.1 just today).

Have I been rewarded with my patience? :D

Perhaps these are copies that come with the new firmware, which was also just released.

Or maybe you should call Apple, cause you won the grand prize!! :D :D

FaRuvius

Well, I got a couple of screenshots. One isjust a screenshot of the About This Mac box, and the other is a full screen.

XBuild.tiff

Full Screen

I can assure you these aren't doctored, but that I am in fact running on the stock 300Mhz 604e of the 8600/300, with 352MB of RAM. I took the full screen AFTER taking the image, so you will notice differences, but nothing really mind-boggling other than a mistake I made (I launched the menulings manually, and so now I have them overdrawing my clock when I removed them properly, but a reboot will solve that, if I can't kill them from the terminal).

Uploading a .dmg would be a little difficult as I am on a 56k, which is why I didn't just download an image elsewhere. Apple Retail Stores should also be distributing this particular build now, and although it probably does include the updated firmware, there are probably at least 80 builds difference between 5J34 and 5G64. There has to be more changed code somewhere, but as I said, since I don't have a 5G64 CD to compare with, I cannot say what has been modified... maybe this is a build that is heading towards 10.1.1? I wouldn't be surprised if that image floating around as a 'possible 10.1.1' is 5J34, but I think it is more likely that 10.1.1 will be in the 5Kxx or 5Lxx series of builds, which at this rate would be a little before/after November 1st. (Don't hold me to this).

Well, the Security Update just took me
to 5L14...

Interesting.

Also interesting is the fact that "About This Mac" no longer displays build numbers.
You need to use the "sw_vers" command
int the terminal now to find build numbers.

To see what was modified in this update,
in the terminal type:

cd /Library/Receipts/SecurityUpdate10-19-01.pkg/Contents/Resources
lsbom SecurityUpdate10-19-01.bom |more

Actually, if you click the 'version 10.1' text in the About this Mac box, you can see the build number (and serial number)
Just a little tidbit of info to keep you away from the terminal ;)

-eeyoreed

Haha, no, 5J34 is the GM of the "multi-language OS X", but I didn't know it was released yet. Take a look in the International control panel, and you'll see that there are a lot of new languages there. So, nothing new for you americans, if you don't know norwegian or chinese ;). Sorry.
I guess the future 10.1.x updates will be 5Mxx or something like that. 5Kxx is OS X Server.

Marmoset:

I can still get build number after the update in About This Mac, the same way we always have...?

Mine says 5L14 too now, BTW. Before the update it was 5G64, which was a full 10.1 install (not upgrade) that had been ordered from the Apple Store.

Ian

Okay, I was wondering why I could finally choose to install Localizations. That explains the 5J34 issue, and I have 5L14 now that I have installed the security updates :)

Yeah, that's probably why you have a higher build number. I was thinking maybe that Apple had updated their 10.1 CDs because of the security update, but I guess it didn't. Localization is most likely why.

By the way, you can still click on the version number in the About This Mac after the security update and still get the build number. If you click again you get the serial number of your computer (handy!).

And Leonis... WTF?? :confused: You have software version 9.1.1? When the heck was THAT released? Was that a release that came preinstalled on a computer after 9.1 was released but before 9.2 was coming preinstalled on computers? (Also of note, the version number itself. If your Mac fails, what number are you gonna call? :D)

Yes, how many times do I have to say it? ;)
5J34 has more FULLY LOCALIZED languages than 5G64. I've been testing 5J24/5J34 for a month now.

what new languages are there? norwegian and chinese were always there.

No, scandinavian and some other languages were NOT in 5G64.

And Leonis... WTF?? You have software version 9.1.1? When the heck was THAT released? Was that a release that came preinstalled on a computer after 9.1 was released but before 9.2 was coming preinstalled on computers?

Well, Mac OS 9.1 is System v. 9.1 and Finder v. 9.1.1, I think. But the "official" version number is 9.1.

Originally posted by simX
And Leonis... WTF?? :confused: You have software version 9.1.1? When the heck was THAT released? Was that a release that came preinstalled on a computer after 9.1 was released but before 9.2 was coming preinstalled on computers? (Also of note, the version number itself. If your Mac fails, what number are you gonna call? :D)

Actually those "9.1.1" are 9.21. I don't know what the hell is going on with that.

i have the same thing happening on my system too! i think it has something to do with the fact that i've never booted directly into the partition that says 9.1.1 (my CLASSIC only partition) :D

I sent to apple for my copy of 10.1 and this is the version that they sent to me. Build 5G64 and it works like a charm only a few small gliches which were easily fixed.

Originally posted by simX
My OS 9.2.1 Startup Disk control panel (v 9.2.3) also says 9.1.1 instead of 9.2.1 for my Classic partition (which contains OS 9.2.1). I have another small partition devoted to maintenance software, and it says 9.2.1 for that volume. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems, though.:)

Back