10.2.8 - second time around. Do you trust it?

Trust it. Yes.

I install all updates without hesitation. I normally purchase all upgrades without hesitation (although I'm holding off on the Adobe suite. Looks like a real snoozer). I'm fortunate enough to have a redundant backup system, so it's not that big a deal if something does break. It's worth the risk to me.

I can see waiting a short period for updates, just to make sure. Sure would have sense for 10.2.8, I can't argue, but in general, what am I going to do? Not update? Yeah, right. I'm going to update/upgrade across the board, so the sooner I do it, the better. I can be ahead of the curve as well as work through any issues ASAP.

I found Apple's handling of the situation reasonable.

originally written by karavite
If your way is the way it is for all Mac users, then why not just go out and buy a Dell PC with Windows XP home edition? Sure it will be more headaches, but with the $1000+ I can save on hardware (you gan get PCs for about $500 these days) I can buy a suite of disk utilities and be all set.

this might be where i got the idea that you're not real supportive of doing preventive maintainence and think it's only worth doing on a pc. i read very well, thank you.

so i would ask you to consider your own words and "please don't get your BVDs in a bunch. I am not hostile to you." but you certainly seem to have turned hostile to me. i would guess that by now you should know that directly questioning someone's intelligence is against the rules around here. so you might want to consider that next time you ask if someone is in a "mental fog".

i also must admit to one time i couldn't get the printer to respond. i tried all sorts of stuff. i finally figured out that one of the clips that loads the paper was bent the wrong way. i pushed it back and it worked. these are tension loaded and i'm sure over time it would have righted itself.

what i have always advocated for troubleshooting is for users with a similar problem with something to get together in a thread and compare what things they have in common and what differences they have. if thousands of people are using the software with no glitches and only a few people are experiencing a particular problem, then it's most likely something else that is causing it - something unique to those setups.

Originally posted by hulkaros
This is getting out of hand! Back to the original question:

10.2.8 - second time around. Do you trust it?

HECK YES!

he he

gotta love it - hulk stepping in to moderate. :p

Karavite, I'm going to give you possibly the best advice that anyone has given you on this thread thus far:

Give it up.

Seriously. You don't seem to be listening to anybody's arguments, or letting them punch through your "mental fog" and consider what people are saying.

Mac OS X is nothing but 1's and 0's arranged via a programming language (probably C++, standard) and a compiler to do what it does so well. As with any combination of 1's and 0's, shit happens. Stuff breaks down, stuff runs into other stuff, stuff causes problems. Let's take it back to the car analogy, since it's so easy:

Sure, you may own a Mercedes, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Mercedes cars are expensive to maintain—which means that they still require routine maintenance, and even costly repairs. Even if nothing happens to your Mercedes, that doesn't mean you won't have to wash the car every 3 weeks, change the oil every 3,000 miles, and change the timing belt every 30,000 miles. And even when you're out cruising in your clean, well-lubricated Mercedes, you might go up a steep hill (like the Grapevine near Los Angeles) at high speed with your AC on and blow out your engine.

Of course, you might make all the preventive maintenance keep your car in top shape, and drive like your grandmother, and some asshole in a Microsoft Taurus may come careening through an intersection, running the red light, and smash into your clean, well-lubricated Mercedes, causing body damage or totalling your car. You did nothing wrong, but you ran into a software conflict with one of the other programs on the road, leading to great expenses and headaches with the hospital, repair shop, and insurance company.

Apple is a hardware and software company just like any other, and while they typically have the best support and product in their market, they make mistakes and fuck up from time to time. It's just a fact of life that nobody can control. Yes, it would be nice if you could get something running after paying $300 in support, but no system, by definition, is ever perfect. If you know someone who's having problems, then by all means give that person a hand in solving those problems. However, not everybody knows an expert to turn to, and that's just part of life. You can't expect every Mercedes owner to know a car expert to ask about problems before spending $2000 on repairs.

I think you could take all the posts you've made in this thread and bind them into a book called "Logical, Yet Irrational Thoughts." Yes, that's right: your arguments are perfectly logical, but you're being completely irrational by getting so worked up about this. Yes, it should work, but it doesn't always work: that's just human nature. I mean, I installed 10.2.3 on my iMac expecting it to work, and it didn't, the Finder kept quitting whenever I tried to click on anything, so I downgraded back to 10.2 and I haven't upgraded since. But I don't complain that Apple's updates always have problems for some people, even if they may work fine for others.

So enjoy your Mercedes, enjoy your Mac, and enjoy the quality of support that Apple actually provides. It should be a perfect world, but it's not, and that's just something that you have to accept before moving on with your life.

I indeed waited on the first go around on the 10.2.8 update, however I took Apple's word on the second edition being better. Unfortunately, I have to admit that my Powerbook G4 is not the same. It was working fine until I updated. Now it seems to be "flakey." More obvious is that fact that I can only burn Mac HFS CDs now... not ISO 9660. Anyone else have similar experience. Not looking forward to rebuilding my laptop if that is the ultimate decision.

You don't seem to be listening to anybody's arguments, or letting them punch through your "mental fog" and consider what people are saying.

Plenty of that going in all directions.

I think you could take all the posts you've made in this thread and bind them into a book called "Logical, Yet Irrational Thoughts." Yes, that's right: your arguments are perfectly logical, but you're being completely irrational by getting so worked up about this.

The thing that gets me worked up is what I perceive as knee jerk reactions that "Apple can do no wrong. Apple is the best, how dare you criticize them..." Nobody is more happy with their Macs than I am, but I think we should be able to constructively critique Apple now and then. It's not like it is George Bush + patriotism - or is it?

So enjoy your Mercedes, enjoy your Mac, and enjoy the quality of support that Apple actually provides. It should be a perfect world, but it's not, and that's just something that you have to accept before moving on with your life.

Okay, I will take your advice and give up this thread (I was going to any way), but I feel misunderstood and I'm sure that is largely my fault in rambling on. I don't want or expect a perfect world. My original point was to discuss Apples consumer relations/PR/marketing approach from a consumer perspective which I think is far above and beyond most companies - they seek new users who are sick of struggling with PCs and Windows and they do the best at convincing new users they made the best choice. However, many of these types of users, by their very nature will not find this forum, buy disk utility apps... Apple could do a little more by more direct and clear communication. Have their support and information (and update) channels match the thought and ease of use of their products. I don't think it does and I think it is an area Apple can improve. I gave some anecdotal evidence on this by how my Mac switcher friend was left out to dry by Apple support and in how a perfectly clean OS upgraded to 10.2.6 had problems. Anecdotal? - Yes. Isolated? - I doubt it.

In the tough market spot they are in, I think Apple has to avoid any and all situations like this. Some times just clear text is all they need - not a full proof upgrade that accounts for anything that can happen in a computer. For some reason Microsoft can screw up every week and practically shutting down the country, but if Apple screws up just a little or once, they are pounced on in the press - like the NY Times article I saw on 10.2.8. What I guess I didn't make clear was that I thought the article was unfair in its implication and Apple's "no comment" fed right into the tone of the article. I thought Apple could have cleared up this article and it's implications by simply giving them a comment.

edx - Please accept my apology. I knew better than to use that tone and I should have listened to my little voice saying - "Clean up this post, be nice." Believe it or not, I felt bad right after posting it.

I am sorry I directly commented on your intelligence. Though it is no excuse, I thought you were indirectly commenting on mine with your comments about disk utilities which I perceived as being a little snotty. That's the problem with forums - misinterpretation, lack of face to face feedback... can all lead to arguments where none would exist if we were in the same room. What I saw as snotty was probably nothing of the sort on your end (only you really know). I'm sure that if we were in the same room you would see I am not a raving lunatic on the issue of Apple needing to create a perfect world - just some ideas on how they could be a little smarter and proactive with newbie users. I'm sure I would see you as someone who is very smart, experienced and willing to help people with their Macs. At the root of it, I think we are both very interested (in our own ways) in new Mac users of all skill levels being happy with their Macs. It just all got lost in the threads.

Back