10.2 Experiences, what you expected? It sure blows me away!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I find 10.2 absolutly wonderful! The speed enhancements are terrific, and so far I am extremelly impressed with everything that it has to offer. Apple has really done it with this one!!! Fantastic job Apple!!!!:D How does everyone else that has it feel?

You have helped me make my decision. I will indeed get the new 17" iMac - and Jaguar.

well worth its price, wonderful new operating system. few quirks (but there are some) that will hopefully be fixed by saturday's 10.2.1 update (think positive)...

I'm interested in knowing how well it performs on the G3 iBook. 10.1.5 is rather slow by my standards and I'm hoping that Jaguar improves it. If its a noticeable improvement, I'll buy it.

I have used 10.2 on an iMac G3/400, PowerBookG4/400 iBook G3/700 and have to say that I am really impressed. Surprisingly, it *appears* to me that the speed benefits are greatest in the G3s, but that may just be that I played less with them than the G4. The iBook really blew me away and I could hardly believe that it burned a full audio CD in just 4 minutes.

Jaguar may be overpriced for those people upgrading (I paid educational pricing), but it really is a huge improvement.

There are a few minor problems which need addressing (and there are major changes in Mail that take some getting used to, if you have already customised Mail very much), but it is definitely a great improvement - more polished and much faster.

I did experience some application crashes, but some of the affected programs have already been updated. Installing the Developer Tools did seem to cause more problems (notably Toast 5.14, but 5.13 still works).

All in all, well worth it and a definite speed benefit on the current iBook.

Originally posted by PowerBark
Installing the Developer Tools did seem to cause more problems (notably Toast 5.14, but 5.13 still works).

Toast works fine for me (5.1.4).

Super fast startup time as well. If you blink you will miss the startup screen. I timed it: 1 min from pushing the power button to being able to launch apps on G3 400. It must almost not be worth using sleep on a dual 1GHz!!

I'm curious - what about window resizing on all these G3s - My G4 450 with a new Radeon 8500 (supports QE) shows no imporvement in window resizing - try Mail or IE - they seem to be the worst offenders.

What I'm really interested in finding out is how it would perform on a Rev. D iMac (333mhz), because if it's a lot faster than OS 9, I might bump up the RAM in my old iMac and upgrade it to Jaguar

Disappointed to learn that Jag Mail app STILL has problems delivering attachments to Windows users. If anything, I would have expected this to be taken care of.

Hey frankns,

Disappointed to learn that Jag Mail app STILL has problems delivering attachments to Windows users. If anything, I would have expected this to be taken care of.

This is a major drag and I can't understand why they haven't fixed this. Think of all the new Mac owners/users who send an attachment to some PC user and then are told, "Well, Macs aren't compatible with PCs" by someone who doesn't understand what is going on. I really want to use Mail as my main app, but when it comes time to send an attachment it seems like a crap shoot so I use Entourage. I once sent my resume to someone as a word file and was pretty embarrassed when they wrote back that the attachment wasn't working for them.

I have posted many times about this on the Apple forum. I also posted about Mail's awful spell check dictionary and it seems they added many words.

What are you guys talking about? I'm sending and receiving files from/to PC users all the time with Mail.app - never a problem. Unless you forget that PCs can't open files if the extension is missing, I don't see what problems you're having.

fryke,

Many Mail attachments go through fine, but it is often has a problem with different email apps on the receiving side. I have a post out here somewhere where I explain how I sent all kinds of attachments from Mail, Eudora and Entourage (on 2 different Macs) to Outllook, Notes, Yahoo and others on various Windows machines (2k, 98...). Attachments sent from Mail would often end up split up into resource forks and other little mime type things (sorry, I'm not an expert on this), but would be perfect when sent from other apps on the same Mac(s). At first (10.0 - 10.1) this would be a problem with plain old Word files, but now they are okay. I still have problems with .mov files though.

I'm glad you aren't having this problem, but I think it is a real bug and it all depends on getting the right (wrong actually) combination of file types and the email client on the recieving end.

So far, 10.2 has been great. The overall performance of my whole system has dramatically improved. My whole boot time is probably like 5 times faster than before on dual-533 MHz G4s.

Make sure to backup your httpd.conf and other configurations files if you have made a lot of changes/additions. Several of mine were replaced with the default config files. PHP also does not work right out of the box. The lines in the new default httpd.conf no longer contain the AddType settings for PHP to uncomment like previously. You will need to add these yourself, not just uncomment.

The internet connection sharing is absolutely great. You can easily share your internet connection over ethernet and airport 802.11b with other computers on your home LAN whether they be Windows or Mac. This is all built into the Sharing preference panel. No more need for the NATd scripts to do sharing. You can now use Infrastruture mode over the Airport shared connection with Windows computers. No more AdHoc mode with scripts. AdHoc mode will still work when sharing is turned on, but only for connections to access things on your mac. So you cannot access the Internet via AdHoc, only via Infrastructure mode connections.

The bug where you need to restart after each time you disconnect from a modem connection to get a stable connection the next time you dial your ISP on some machines is gone.

Don't expect to find iCal with 10.2, it's apparently not going to be released until September as a free download. I haven't found the iSync app yet either, but perhaps I'm overlooking it.

Overall, 10.2 is an absolutely great update to the system and from what I can see a must for most people. If you're just a light user, you might not want to worry about upgrading for a while. There are clearly tons of additions and changes in the core of the OS that we never really see. The install requires two CDs this time!!!

Originally posted by Chris Belwinds
Well, this may make you fell less enthusiastical:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpm35005.html

Obvioulsy many hardware devices are not supported in Mac OS X 10.2. Some of them are Hewlett-Packard's AIO printers. For me, that is a clear reason to postpone my Apple order at this point and wait for 10.2.1.... :-(((

No problems with my HP 940c. Everything fine after installing Jag. Apparently Hp released some drivers today that actually disable printing, lol. So I'm fine with Jag drivers no worries for me.

My only complaint is mouse speed. USBOverdrive doesn't work with Jag and my MS Intellipoint pref pane seems to have vanished. Hopefully, one of the 2 will update for Jag soon and I can get around my CD more fluidly.

Yes, I have experienced all the same problems. PDF files seem to work ... no resource fork? But I have sent many resumes to headhunters and potential employers only to be embarrassed to find they received a winmail.dat file or two unreadable Apple files. Not impressive to a future employer in the technologies

So, I'm about to give up and go to Eudora.
I've reloaded it on my machine and begun testing it. Really don't want to load MS Entourage.

I'm wondering how Apple continues to overlook this.

:cool:

I received a Mac OS X 10.2 upgrade 3 CD set with an computer that was sent from Apple to our offices on Wednesday. Here are a couple of observations in my web development environment and personal use of the new 10.2.

Installation of 10.2 over a 10.1.5 system takes a long time in comparision to 10.1 installs. 40 - 60 minutes on the PowerMac G4 733 and PowerMac G4 466 units. Clean installations took less time, 20 - 30 minutes. However, since I had an upgrade CD set, I had to install my original 10.1 first and then 10.2.

The only big issue that came to light on my systems was the fact that every time I went to print to our LaserJet 4MV, the application would unexpectantly quit. So I downloaded and installed the HP LaserJet software for Mac OS X (revision date of 10-2001) and that made printing work again. (Go figure)

Other hardware that is working fine: Canon S600 printer, iMic, external FireWire hard drives. Software tested so far: Office X, Interarchy, MacroMedia products line, Watson (yes, Watson still contains more goodies than Sherlock 3). Quicken 2002 works fine too.

Speed: boot up is substantially faster, the Finder is more responsive, CD operations feel perkier (burning, ripping), multiple copies seem smoother in operation and a bit faster. Application launches are a bit faster, though not a lot faster in my experience.

My SuperDrive PowerMac G4 seems finicker about CD-R and CD-RW disks made by other machines. Even my commercial CD of WarCraft III was a bit reluctant to install (file copy error), until I took CD out and cleaned the surface which was not dirty. :D

Yes, I have experienced all the same problems. PDF files seem to work ... no resource fork? But I have sent many resumes to headhunters and potential employers only to be embarrassed to find they received a winmail.dat file or two unreadable Apple files. Not impressive to a future employer in the technologies

Actually the problem is with the employer's email program. They're the ones that aren't impressive.

I'm wondering how Apple continues to overlook this.

There's nothing to overlook. Mail works fine if the receiving Mail program understands the AppleDouble format. Any good mail program should. If it doesn't, you have to deal with the issue of finding out what format their mail program will understand, and configuring an email program to send that format.

Wade

Wade, your logic is completely at odds with my experience. Help me out here.

I send the same exact .mov file using Entrourage (and/or Eudora) and Mail to a PC with Outlook. The attachment sent by Entourage (and/or Eudora) opens right up in Outlook but the attchment from Mail does not. How on Earth can this be the fault of the receiver?

Well ... think of it like this: I send an attachment to COO of technologies company. He can't read the blasted attachment. When this happens ... I have no, zip, zero, zilch good answers. Consider these lines:

"Ah ... it's Microsoft's fault for not supporting Apple's (unique) standard..." This sounds good.

Or try:

"Something is wrong with your server/client Mr COO and I suggest you get it fixed." Ho boy. Better still when he comes back and says: "You're the only one I have this problem with."

The point is that you don't tell a potential employer or a customer that he/she is wrong. Bad form.

And of course if they are a committed Microsoft shop, you look even sillier/more pompous.

But what really happens is that some lower level assistant screens most everything first... and -- consider this person's technical expertise for a moment -- guess what they do when they can't find or open your file? Guess which application never even makes it to the hiring manager?

Apple should conform to a commonly accepted standard and help us all out here.

Back