10.2 lockup caused mail, classic and toolbar problems

Brandt

Registered
On Feb 23 my G4 locked up hard. When I restarted, my toolbar lost all customized icons, that is, all icons that did not appear from a base OS X installation. I restored my application icons and thought that would be the end of it.

Last night I tried retrieving my email. It pulls email and shows that the number of unread emails in each of my mail folders have increased, but the moment I select a different mail folder, the number drops to what it was previous to my retrieval, and there are no new messages. The last ones are dated Feb 23.

While troubleshooting, which consisted of two restarts and retrievals of email, my "in" box and "on this mac" box have disappeared.

Also, classic will not start and says that there are two classis systems folders.

Of course, Apple says "Pay us $49.95 and we'll tell you why you can't get your email."

Any ideas of what broke and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Brandt

The same thing has just happened to me :( I don't know what's gone on, but I've lost all my mail since january! VERY FRUSTRATING!

I've had this happen twice in the life of my G4/400 -- and it required a full re-format and re-install. I'm not saying that your answer is to re-install, but that was the solution for me. It sounds like more than Mail may be broken since you mention corrupted icons and what-not.

It seems that OS X can pretty reliably recover from hard crashes like that -- kernel panics, freezes -- but sometimes it just doesn't. Some system files may have been corrupted, and this ain't OS 9 -- there's TENS of THOUSANDS of system files that could possibly become corrupt. I find these situations hard to just "fix."

If you choose to go the re-format, re-install route, which WILL provide you with the peace of mind that it's fresh and new and probably more stable than before, I recommend backing stuff up, obviously... anyways, if you've got the time or money, you may want to have an Apple Rep. do this for you (either check the system out for you or re-load it)... it all depends on how comfortable you believe yourself to be with this stuff...

Back