10.2 prices

deagle five o

Registered
ive been out of the loop for a few weeks, does anyone know what the prices on 10.2 will be, and if there's more light on the release date of Jaguar.

Nothing concrete, no. "Late summer" appears to mean August / September for release (there's also some discussion as to whether 10.1.6 will see the light of day between now and then).

There's also been chat about pricing. I'm assuming that as 10.2 constitutes a major release (i.e. like 10.1) it will be charged-for in a similar price bracket to 10.1... that is, not full OS price, but won't be on the software updater either.

Then again, it's going to have a lot of new stuff in it, so maybe the upgrade price will be significantly more than a CD and its shipping?

So who knows. I can't wait though: 10.2 will be my first go with OS X!

Yeah, shocking innit?

:D

I have an old iMac, so have shied away from upgrading my OS... but I figured I would now, seeing as OS X seems to be getting more and more optimised. And there's no point buying 10.1.5 now is there, not with 10.2 round the corner? If I've waited this long...

Your iMac can be older than mine by only a couple of months at most. 10.1.x is perfectly usable on my 233 iMac (in contrast to 10.0.x). I wouldn't want to do anything CPU-intensive on it, but it works. but yes, if I were you, I'd wait until Jag-wire too.

Thanks homer -- you've reassured me before on this point too!

I have a rev B iMmac, which means I have 233 MHz too, plus 6MB VRAM, 256MB RAM and the bog-standard HDD... so I'll maybe look into upgrading that. I'm not scared of taking the lid off this sucker -- I did both RAM slots!

<Exits looking mighy proud>

Oh whoops, I forget who I boast to about my iMac. :D

I nearly had a bad experience installing RAM in the lower slot. I had a horrendous time pulling the processor card off, and then I didn't get it seated properly when I was putting it back together. Guess what? It didn't boot. :eek: Then I just pushed on the card until I thought it would break, and it didn't. Whew! I swore then that I'd never pull the processor card off again (on that machine).

So do you guys think 10.2 will be $20. like 10.1 ? Or do you think Apple will try to squeze more money out of us?

I imagine it might be more given the new technologies debuting plus the QT6 thang... but then again, maybe Apple will absorb the cost in the interest of getting the OS out to more and more people? They have enough cash in the bank after all... Will be interesting to see.

Either way I'm stumping up for the whole thing I guess, so less of an issue to me.

Okay, I give up. This is like the tenth discussion on this board about the price of Jaguar, which will either be called 10.2 or 10.5. It will be priced what Apple chooses to charge. Opinions vary between 'free' (reason being that 10.1 was free) and 'full' (reason being that 10.1 was an exception and Jaguar will be a fully normal release like before 10.0).

I am curious as to why people think it will be called 10.5. If OS 9 went up to 9.2.2, why wouldn't OS X go from 10.1.5/6 to 10.2? Might I be missing something ?

Because historically Apple has jumped to an x.5 or x.0 version number for major releases:

Mac OS 8 (full-price), Mac OS 8.1, Mac OS 8.5 (full price), Mac OS 8.5.1, Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS 9 (full price), Mac OS 9.x.x

The thing is, this is Mac OS X, so Apple could be changing its version number system. We'll just have to see what Apple does in this instance, but since this is a major upgrade, bank on it being full-priced.

HEY! I am the one who uses that analogy :)

Yeah he's correct. Almost always we saw 8.1 -> 8.1 and the dev seed for 8.5 was 8.2 until it shipped. all .0's and .5's were full shrinkwrapped.

There has never been a .2 except for 9.2 and that is only because it was a dead product.

This will probably be $129 10.5 release. I don't even call it 10.2 anymore because I know it will be a 10.5

Apple can't afford to release a 10.2 for free because they need to make money and 10.0 came out in March of 2001. If they released all these features now then what could they honestly release in March 2003 that we'd pay for? I think they are right on schedule for some revenue.

Personally I would like to see it as a $99 upgrade, but it will more than likely be a $129 one.

But I plan on buying the full boxed version of 10.2 even though I already have a full 10.1 CD.

I'd much rather do a freshy install of 10.2 rather than 10.1 --> 10.2 updates, and besides, its going to come with a swank new booklet, the latest greatest OS 9, and the new dev tools. Plus, it supports Apple.

And I think they'll probably figure out a way to avoid the "update CD to full install CD" fiasco that happened with the 10.1 update CD.

From what I have seen, 10.2 will be worth the full price of the OS, no doubt. And the other reason, of course, is so that I can have two licenses for the OS so I don't have to feel guilty installing the same licensed copy on both my Macs that can handle OS X.

So I'd like to start a movement - I know a lot of us are financially challenged (myself included) and would rather pay 20 bucks for an upgrade CD, but I ask you - don't you think the Apple would use the extra money wisely? I do. So anyone who can swing it, buy the full OS package instead of the upgrade. Support the new OS, give Apple some $ for all the amazing thigns they've been working on, and try to realize that Mac OS X came out in public beta form 2 years ago. Its definitely time to buy another boxed copy of the full OS.

And no, I don't work for Apple.

Yet :)

I'm still waiting to hear back the results of my FOURTH interview for a Mac Genius position ....

Go! Yes. Let's pay the full price. :)

It's what I did with Mac OS 8.0. I mean, I HAD the Golden Master already, and I *knew* I was going to buy a new machine with a copy of it bundled, but I went out and bought Mac OS 8 the day it arrived in the stores. It's a fun experience, I think.

Also, the last full version I bought was 10.0, so I didn't really give Apple much money ever since I bought the TiBook 500. And that'll be 1.5 years old by Jaguar.

Agreed. I've never actually bought an OS from Apple, so it'll be fun. Can't wait to try out X.

I got OS 8.5 with my iMac, and I downloaded the updater for 8.6.1... so no dice there.

And I think I ended up with a dodgy copy of System 7.1 for my Classic. :eek:

It's about time. Besides, I'm always a bit leery about layering update on to update... Look what "service packs" do for Windoze ;)

I am thinking it will be a full priced upgrade. If it isn't, I'm just going to pay for the upgrade and then get the full disks with my new computer. I fully support you thinking you need a license for each computer but I am not going to blindly pay money, even to my favorite company. I think it would be more supportive to Apple if you used that cash to pay some shareware fees so developers are more likely to keep making great software. (Ha! how talented am I? I used this thread which is repeated 14 other times to bring up shareware which is repeated 38 times elsewhere :) )

And to throw in my 2 cents about processor speed, I'm using a 266 Blueberry iMac (I thought rev B was the colors not still 233?) and I do many processor intensive things. Video and 3d games are really not doable even though the last 0.0.1 release supposedly supported my video card. I didn't really notice any difference. But I have lots of programs running and I am perfectly productive as a student. I think you'll like the upgrade but I'm not sure how much more optimized X.2 will be unless you have some Quartz Extreme support. Let us know what you think.

Originally posted by Koelling
And to throw in my 2 cents about processor speed, I'm using a 266 Blueberry iMac (I thought rev B was the colors not still 233?) and I do many processor intensive things. Video and 3d games are really not doable even though the last 0.0.1 release supposedly supported my video card. I didn't really notice any difference. But I have lots of programs running and I am perfectly productive as a student. I think you'll like the upgrade but I'm not sure how much more optimized X.2 will be unless you have some Quartz Extreme support. Let us know what you think.
Cool. thanks for that! The only difference between rev A and rev B iMacs (both are Bondi) is bigger VRAM and hard disk capacity. The processor speed is the same.

This is going to be an upgrade, not an update.

We can want free upgrades all we want but it won't happen unless you buy a new system 30 days prior to an upgrade.

10.1 was a free update. It was a huge update because there was so much that had been done under the hood.

Let's hope that it is not the same price that 10.1.3 is right now in the stores.

If so, I better start saving up now. :)

I doubt it will be $129.00, though.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Back