10.3.1 prints, 10.3.2 doesn't

karavite

Registered
I have had repeating problems with printing on various OS X upgrades (don't remember exact versions, but 10.2.6 was one for sure), and thanks to many people here, I have learned to approach the intermittent (10.x.x) OS X upgrades carefully. I have extra drives so as an experiment I ran the 10.3.2 update on a backup drive and sure enough, my Epson 740i will not print. I deleted/added the printer, restarting, reparied permissions..., but no go (get various printer connection errors). I switched back to my trusty 10.3.1 disk and it prints perfectly.

Due to various limitations with all my USB devices, I cannot devote a USB port from the computer direct to my printer, but I am wondering if the whole USB hub issue might be related to these printing problems I run into with what seems to be about every 3rd OS X upgrade. I will try the 10.3.2 disk with the printer plugged in direct (vs using a USB hub) and see what happens, and I'm sorry for not doing this before posting, but it is simply a mess of wires back there and the printer cable is too short to reach from where it is now - hey I am a little lazy today. Any way, if this kind of trouble shooting does solve the problem (it prints from 10.3.2 when plugged in directly to the Macs USB port), do you think buying an extra USB card would do the trick? When I think about it, the only real problems I have had with OS X upgrades are in printing. Any recommendations on brands of USB cards that work especially well - or maybe a new and better hub? P.S. I have a G4 DP 1 GHz and my USB hub is a Entrega Machub4U that has it's own power supply (it's easily three years old).

I too have experienced this problem with a newer USB hub - losing printer addon and having to re-add (is that a word?) the printer. I assume it's my permissions so I keep repairing them until the next time it happens.

Would love to hear some alternative methods ...

Thanks!

http://www.macosx.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=281095#

karavite said:
I have had repeating problems with printing on various OS X upgrades (don't remember exact versions, but 10.2.6 was one for sure), and thanks to many people here, I have learned to approach the intermittent (10.x.x) OS X upgrades carefully. I have extra drives so as an experiment I ran the 10.3.2 update on a backup drive and sure enough, my Epson 740i will not print. I deleted/added the printer, restarting, reparied permissions..., but no go (get various printer connection errors). I switched back to my trusty 10.3.1 disk and it prints perfectly.

Due to various limitations with all my USB devices, I cannot devote a USB port from the computer direct to my printer, but I am wondering if the whole USB hub issue might be related to these printing problems I run into with what seems to be about every 3rd OS X upgrade. I will try the 10.3.2 disk with the printer plugged in direct (vs using a USB hub) and see what happens, and I'm sorry for not doing this before posting, but it is simply a mess of wires back there and the printer cable is too short to reach from where it is now - hey I am a little lazy today. Any way, if this kind of trouble shooting does solve the problem (it prints from 10.3.2 when plugged in directly to the Macs USB port), do you think buying an extra USB card would do the trick? When I think about it, the only real problems I have had with OS X upgrades are in printing. Any recommendations on brands of USB cards that work especially well - or maybe a new and better hub? P.S. I have a G4 DP 1 GHz and my USB hub is a Entrega Machub4U that has it's own power supply (it's easily three years old).
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Did you check to make sure you have the newest printer driver? The drivers should have been installed from the OS CD if you installed the printer software.

Cheryl said:
Did you check to make sure you have the newest printer driver? The drivers should have been installed from the OS CD if you installed the printer software.

Well, I installed 10.3.0 right from the CDs including the printer drivers and then ran the 10.3.1 then 10.3.2 upgrades. Epson's site does not show any new drivers (I can find) for my 740i for OS X, so I assume my OS X install has the latest greatest - right? Please tell me if I am missing something here.

I'll give Print Center Repair a shot! Thanks!

FYI, Print Center Repair fixed a few things, but still no printing on the 10.3.2 disk! Any ideas please?

Put the printer on port 1 of the hub and the hub in port one of the computer. See if that corrects things.

Hey Cheryl - I tried switching things and by gosh it works and I can print now! Only time will tell, but I think this was it. However, when I look at system profiler, it lists the hub as being on the 2nd port (or is listed in the second group) and the printer is listed as 4th in the list of items under the hub. Perhaps it was just switching things around a little?

As long as it worked, you are fine. It is hard to tell which is port one unless they are numbered and not all USB ports are numbered.

Back