10.3.4: iChat problem

davidbrit2

Licensed Computer Geek
I just installed the 10.3.4 update this morning, and now iChat uses maximum CPU time when running. Anyone else notice this? And did you find a solution? I suppose I could just get an older version of iChat or something. Time to send the ol' bug report to Apple...

Alrighty, that answers a few questions. Thanks for the link.

I think I've narrowed it down to a certain user's buddy icon of all things. I would be fine until I started chatting with him, and then CPU usage would jump to 100% until I quit iChat. Weird.

Yeah I've noticed that some iApps (plus Safari) do really stupid things with respect to CPU usage. I'd just renice it in the Terminal to keep it from clogging your system.

Normally I'd probably just do something like that, but on an iBook, keeping your CPU at max constantly is a good way to kill battery life. Heh.

And yeah, Safari is kind of weird too. Sometimes I just copy links and use wget, because downloading a file should not require that much CPU power. Yikes.

Surprisingly the cpu status in the Energy Saver doesn't have any huge influence on the battery life (at least for me). I tested on my iBook and tiBook and none showed a huge change in the duration. In best case there was a difference of 30mins which doesn't sound like a huge loss..

Trust me, I've collected hours of scientific data from playing NES emulators during dull lectures. ;-) I notice a fair difference on my machine, anyway.

Did anyone ever figure out an answer to this problem, i too have one buddy that freaks iChat, i tried turning Icons off and stuff but that didnt work, so i dont know if that is the problem or not.

If not oh well, he is going to be my roommate soon so hopefully i wont have to chat with him on aim :p

Well, the buddy icons are possibly stored locally in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat.pictures (though this may just be for caching pictures sent in the chats). You could always try cleaning out this directory.

Also try forcing a different static image for that particular buddy. I think you do this by dragging a new one into the picture slot for the person's Address Book entry. If he's got no Address Book entry, delete him from the buddy list, create an entry, specify the AIM screen name, set a picture, and drag the card into the iChat buddy list window. Oh, and cross your fingers. ;-)

Back