10.3.5 - worth upgrading or not?

texanpenguin

Registered Penguin
OK, around the time of the 10.3.5 release, there were... 'mixed' reactions.

I have a 1GHz PowerBook G4 FW800 running 10.3.4

Now that everyone's settled into 10.3.5, is it worth my spending hours and hours downloading it on dial-up?

One word - yes or no?

I always upgrade, it is a free update, so why not? 10.3.5, if it did anything was to improve my wireless printing from my base station.

If your machine is mission-critical: No.
If it's not mission-critical and you have another machine: Yes.

Half the reports of people who blame their problems on 10.3.5 had problems BEFORE 10.3.5, and since we're all trigger-happy to point the finger at the latest OS X point release, that's where half of these "10.3.5 hosed my system!" reports come from. If you've heavily modified your system, or haven't repaired permissions in the last 6 months, or haven't checked the integrity of the disk, or have mucked around in the terminal a whole lot, or changed a bunch of settings via the command line, then chances are you'll have problems when it comes time to apply a system update. That does not mean that the update hosed your system -- you hosed your system by not keeping it in good health.

Take the number of bad reports of 10.3.5 you've heard, discard the ones that you read in forums or discussion boards, then divide the remaining number of reports by 4 and you'll have a rough estimate of the number of problems that 10.3.5 actually caused.

The only real problem with 10.3.5 right now is an issue with single-processor G5 1.8GHz machines: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25810

powermac said:
I always upgrade, it is a free update, so why not? 10.3.5, if it did anything was to improve my wireless printing from my base station.
On dial up it is not free anymore. And I think for that, the updates are not really worth.

It was pretty much free on my dial-up. I pay a flat fee each month, so whether I left my machine on all night to download the update or didn't, it wouldn't have cost me much more.

Sure, you have to pay for the electricity, but the iBook draws a maximum of 65w, so in total, the electricity bill cost less than 3p to download the whole update.

Pretty much free, if ya ask me :)

Heh, my dialup disconnects every 4 hours to free up the servers.

I think I'll download it when I'm next at work, or perhaps wait until the Uni provides the updates on the uni's local server, where it doesn't use my webproxy quota.

Back