10.3.7 is here!

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Check out the 26.4mb update in SU!

The 10.3.7 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
improved AFP support for saving documents with long file names
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
improved FireWire device compatibility
updated Preview application
improved compatibility for third party applications
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300385
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

But its a 95MB download for those running older versions. It's been downloading for the last 15 minutes.

-Sean

Apple releases smaller, "delta" updates, and there could be multiple delta updates available for different machine configurations. Yours may be bigger or small than the one I get.

The 10.3.7 combo updater is 97MB, includes all updates, and can be applied to any version of 10.3.x to update it. The delta updates are smaller, more specific updates and can only be used to update 10.3.6 to 10.3.7, and the one that shows up in my SU is 17.1MB, while on other machines it could be a different size (like your 26.4MB one), depending on software/hardware differences between the two machines.

So does that mean a Machine with the 10.3.7 Combo update applied will have all updates and security fixes since 10.3.0?

Well i just went to download it today and it said that it couldnt find the update server, weird. But i havent tried it again since and i am connected to the net. Mine is 26.4mb.

Pengu said:
So does that mean a Machine with the 10.3.7 Combo update applied will have all updates and security fixes since 10.3.0?

Pretty much, yes. Apple's info articles on the updates outline which security updates are included.

Also, does anyone know if this includes a specific fix for the Safari timeout issues? I didn't see anything that would allude to that on the KB article.

I thought it was everything included, system-wise. What's _not_ included are application updates like iTunes, iMovie etc. But keeping your Combo Updaters up-to-date on an external drive or something can make a reinstallation much, much faster, so I'd advise to always get the newest combo-updater.

10.3.7 = 17
Combo = 97
Server = 28
Server Combo = 119

but for some odd reason i have a 26.4MB download (G5 iMac)

There can be several different sized delta updaters available. 10.3.7 includes fixes for certain NVidia cards and AGP ATi cards, but since I don't have either, yours may include the new drivers and mine won't, hence the smaller size.

(just as an example)

does anyone else notice how Safari is now on crack? It's loading pages faster than I can realize I've told it to load it!

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for ages:

Just installed 10.3.7. When you install an update through "Software Update", after installation it "optimizes" the disk. What is it optimizing and how? Is it anything like Norton Speed Disk optimizing, i.e. defragging and concatenating files?

Stridder44 said:
does anyone else notice how Safari is now on crack? It's loading pages faster than I can realize I've told it to load it!
yup, got the same impression here. Nice...

CaptainQuark said:
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for ages:

Just installed 10.3.7. When you install an update through "Software Update", after installation it "optimizes" the disk. What is it optimizing and how? Is it anything like Norton Speed Disk optimizing, i.e. defragging and concatenating files?
The optimization of applications (like it is after each installation) is an update of it's prebindings. Updating them will make the links in the system (library links, commands ...) faster. Read more about it in this thread:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22981

Back