10.3 doesn't come with Classic?

Originally posted by UNIX X11
So, if i get panther, can I take my 10.2 powerbook disk and install classic like that? or should i use my mac os 9 cd? yeh... i cant boot into it... but... wait thats a problem...

LOL, I misread your post.

Copy the boot system of OS 9 from the installer to your hard drive and launch Classic.

Well, if you already have Classic installed, then sure. But if not, you need some way to run OS 9 to use the OS 9 installer. It's a bit of a conundrum...

I know I've posted this before, but we'll try it again here:

IMPORTANT NOTE: For all reading this, at your earliest convenience make a disk image of your Mac OS 9 system folder and burn it to a CD. Future versions of Mac OS X may come with the Classic software, but none are going to come with the Classic operating system needed to run it. Apple assumes that your system came with it in some form or another. They have left the responsibility of keeping track of it to you. Having a backup on a CD for future reinstallation (copying it back to your hard drive) is going to save you a ton of head aches.

Maybe you should put that in your signature. Then everyone reading your posts will see it.

Thing is, it really isn't a new problem. If you format your drive without the Mac OS 9 drivers (like my systems) or your using newer equipment which can't boot into Mac OS 9, then you are going to need a way to get 9 on your system for Classic.

Quite some time ago (pre-10.2) I made an image of a generic installation of Mac OS 9.2.2 and saved the image to a CD. That image has been used for restoring Classic to a number of systems (including my PowerBook and a friend's B&W G3).

If people took the time when they had Mac OS 9's system folder sitting on their system to make this type of a back up, then restoring it to your system for Classic only requires drag-n-drop.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and I hate signatures. :p

well, this thread is certainly running in circles:rolleyes:
You can't do a 'normal' OS 9 install, if your system can't boot to OS 9, But you can place a System Folder on the drive, by copying from a OS 9 CD, then start Classic to allow OS X to place the needed items in that OS 9 System folder. That's all that's really needed to get Classic working.

You can boot Classic from the CD while in OS X and install it like that if you have to, but you still must have an OS 9 CD.

OK... i still dont see my question answered...
I got Panther (no not really... pretend i do). I wiped my hard drive, and I need Classic. I have no sign of OS 9 on this drive. NOTHING. Now, can I take my System DVD, which has Classic on it, and use the installer on that CD for Classic?

If you with "System DVD" mean the Panther install DVD, then no.
It _does_ contain the Classic application, but not the Classic OS (os9).

So you still need to install os9 from the os9 media.
I don't know if you can insert the os9 cd, start Classic and install it fom there, though.

Or, keep the folder where you have os9 installed no, wipe the rest and install Panther.
Voila, you can use Classic within Panther.

Hope this helps,
Henrik

Eh, "keep the folder where you have os9 install no..." should of course be "... installed on".
Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain, or is it the brain who is slower than my fingers...? ;-)

No harm in trying that, if it works, you're done!
I get hung up on semantics with Classic/OS 9.
You can't boot into Classic, but you can start Classic, which is merely a mode, an environment, part of OS X. You're not using OS 9, only the parts that are necessary for OS X. If you reboot into the OS 9 partition/drive/whatever, so your system boots from OS 9, then that is not Classic, as your system is booted with OS 9 components, not OS X at all. Is this too confusing? All you need to get Classic working is a System Folder with OS 9 major components in it, You can copy it in, you can install OS 9 in (your system restore DVD will have the necessary items on it, how hard can it be?)

GRR
YOU DONT GET IT
the PowerBook System DVD contains MAC OS X.2, and SOFTWARE RESTORE, which has an OPTION to install MAC OS 9.2 on your HARD DRIVE. Can I use that DVD to INSTALL MAC OS 9.2 as CLASSIC for MAC OS X.3?!?!?!!??!!?!!?!!
Is that SIMPLE enough!!?!!?!!!!!?!?!?

I feel your pain Unix, sometimes it seems beating around the bush has become a fine art in this thread.

It seems to me that if you have the option to install 9.2, you should, even if it installs 10.2.x. Then you could use 9 to throw away the other things Restore put on the wiped disk before installing Panther.

I don't have the PowerBook DVD, so I can't be sure. I hope someone will help you with details from their own experience.

Originally posted by UNIX X11
GRR
YOU DONT GET IT
the PowerBook System DVD contains MAC OS X.2, and SOFTWARE RESTORE, which has an OPTION to install MAC OS 9.2 on your HARD DRIVE. Can I use that DVD to INSTALL MAC OS 9.2 as CLASSIC for MAC OS X.3?!?!?!!??!!?!!?!!

Your right, it is that simple. If you can restore 9 from the DVD then you can restore 9 from the DVD.

Why are you asking the question? :confused:

If you can't restore Mac OS 9's system folder without restoring 10.2 at the same time, then make a copy of your current Mac OS 9 system folder before wiping your drive and move it back after you install 10.3.

This is not rocket science ( :rolleyes: or Unix for that matter), what part of your question wasn't answered yet?

Want to save us all some time? Do a complete restore from the DVD after wiping your system (as the bundled apps that came with your PowerBook aren't going to come with 10.3), do an archive and install from 10.3 and then delete the previous system folder left on the root level of your drive.

When you are done, you'll have a clean install of 10.3, Mac OS 9.2.2, your bundled apps, and we won't be answering questions like where did some of my apps go that came with my PowerBook? after you finish.

Originally posted by RacerX
Your right, it is that simple. If you can restore 9 from the DVD then you can restore 9 from the DVD.

Why are you asking the question? :confused:

If you can't restore Mac OS 9's system folder without restoring 10.2 at the same time, then make a copy of your current Mac OS 9 system folder before wiping your drive and move it back after you install 10.3.

This is not rocket science ( :rolleyes: or Unix for that matter), what part of your question wasn't answered yet?

Want to save us all some time? Do a complete restore from the DVD after wiping your system (as the bundled apps that came with your PowerBook aren't going to come with 10.3), do an archive and install from 10.3 and then delete the previous system folder left on the root level of your drive.

When you are done, you'll have a clean install of 10.3, Mac OS 9.2.2, your bundled apps, and we won't be answering questions like where did some of my apps go that came with my PowerBook? after you finish.

::love::

Back