10.4, a wise upgrade?

Bluesman

Registered
Ok, i currently have OSX 10.3.9 installed on my rather old G3. It has 233mhz and 286mb ram. It runs MS word ok, so i'm happy. However the dashboard thingy in 10.4 looks really awesome. Is this version heavier on my system? Also, what about compatibility, i heard there are some problems on that area. Would you recommend this upgrade on my system?

Tiger won't run any better on that machine, and it requires Firewire. 286MB or memory is too little. Tiger also comes on DVD disc. If you don't have a DVD drive, you would have to exchange the disc for CD's.

Does Tiger really require FireWire? Does it search for it and say "z0mg there's no FireWire i can't work now!11!!!!1"? ANYWAY....

I wouldn't upgrade. I found Tiger to perform MUCH worse than Panther on my system with 256MB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with less than 512MB. Dashboard was worse than worthless before I upgraded my RAM from 256MB to 1GB (it typically took about half a minute to come up before).

I've yet to hear any reports of Tiger running faster than Panther in general, on any hardware.

Does Tiger really require FireWire? Does it search for it and say "z0mg there's no FireWire i can't work now!11!!!!1"? ANYWAY....

No, it doesn't.

Tiger does run faster on my machine, G4/1Ghz. Boots faster, programs open faster. Maybe not much, but it was noticeable.

Ehh..I have 10.4.3 on my iMac G5. I barely use Dashboard...I only used it a couple of times last night for Stickies, and that was annoying compared to how it used to be in OS 9.

Other than that, I'm quite pleased with anything 10.3.x and above. :D

Damn. Oh well, i guess i'll keep saving money for a new Ibook then :p Panther is already a bit sluggish so i won't even bother trying Tiger.

You might want to wait and see what Apple comes out with in January. We might see some new Intel based Macs then. Whether it's going to be an iBook, PowerBook, or ANY Mac for that matter, that remains to be seen.

Apple is planning to release its first entry-level iBook laptops with Intel processors next January at Macworld Expo in San Francisco, highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret.

bobw said:
Apple is planning to release its first entry-level iBook laptops with Intel processors next January at Macworld Expo in San Francisco, highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret.

Already noted in the Rumors section. :D

Sounds cool. Although i still don't understand how you can work with a 12 inch screen. 15 is really the minimum imo.

back to topic, if you find that panther runs well for you, then stick to it. there is nothing in tiger i need, just things i have got used to. if the only motivation is dashboard, or that is the main motivation, then don't get tiger. really.

i would prefer it if tiger didn't exist, tbh, i was really happy with panther, then tiger came along, it's still quite buggy, but i can't go back to panther....

If you are really into bling, then why not purchase Konfabulator (www.konfabulator.com), which works perfectly well with Panther (and has been around longer than Dashboard)?

As with Dashboard, most of the widgets are just gimmicks. However there are a few very useful ones.

DropImage, for example, reduces high res images intantly into low res jpegs, ideal for sending pictures by email (saves opening GraphicConvertor or Photoshop).

Lt Major Burns said:
back to topic, if you find that panther runs well for you, then stick to it. there is nothing in tiger i need, just things i have got used to. if the only motivation is dashboard, or that is the main motivation, then don't get tiger. really.

i would prefer it if tiger didn't exist, tbh, i was really happy with panther, then tiger came along, it's still quite buggy, but i can't go back to panther....

I agree, I thought the new features in tiger would be amazing, but they're not really. I would stick with Panther, until 10.5 (i forgot what the codename for it was) comes out!

Tiger is quite buggy, and since i've upgraded from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3, i've switched browsers from Safari to Firefox RC3, because Safari crashes too much in x.x.3

Bluesman: If you take a 12" monitor nearer to your eyes, it equals an 18" monitor. ;) ... But really: I guess that depends on how good your eyes still are as well as whether you enjoy small things. The 12" iBooks are _great_ little notebooks. And the 14" models just add size and weight, not screen resolution.

Tiger is quite buggy, and since i've upgraded from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3, i've switched browsers from Safari to Firefox RC3, because Safari crashes too much in x.x.3

Sounds like you have some problems in your system you need to address.

Tiger hasn't give me, or a lot of other people, any problems, including Safari.

i have not had any problems with 10.4.3. and 10.4 does run better and faster then 10.3 on my g4/466. i'm glad i upgraded. now i need to get a vid card that supports core video so i can see the cool wave when launching wigdets.
but back to the guy with the old imac, i would of left it at 10.2. i'm shocked that 10.3 runs desently to use. 10.2 was ruff on my ppc8600 with 512mb ram and a g4/450 upgrade.

bobw said:
Sounds like you have some problems in your system you need to address.

Tiger hasn't give me, or a lot of other people, any problems, including Safari.

it's not just one of my computers, it's both of them. whenever i login to a site, or exit that site without logging out, it freezes (mostly the exit site, i can usualy log in fine)....

and it's not just one one computer so idk. i'll just wait till 10.4.4 is out, and i'll give safari a try again

bobw said:
Tiger won't run any better on that machine, and it requires Firewire. 286MB or memory is too little. Tiger also comes on DVD disc. If you don't have a DVD drive, you would have to exchange the disc for CD's.
Welp, I guess that answers my question, too. I was wondering if I should upgrade to Tiger on my 256 MB iBook. Guess not! Actually, I'm a huge HUGE fan of Panther, so I was a little relunctant to switch to Tiger, anyway. Thanks for confirming this matter.

Back