10.4 Features!

If you were the project manager for the next update to the Mac OS (10.4), What new features would you add?

It could be anything Core, Graphics, etc...

hi-def & built in PVR across firewire support better unicode support better virtual desktop support user coded piles (auto batch/sort feature) lock down feature 8

I think this one thread thing is stupid... Most people don't search first and then write a comment, whatever is in front of our eyes we will engage. A better way would be to have the new thread autolink to the old thread thus bringing the old thread back to life without searching for it.

For some topics it's not a bad idea to keep bringing it up, but if it is a question that keeps getting asked with only one answer then there's no need for more than one thread.

This topic doesn't seem to be a bad one to revisit now and again.

Some threads become battlegrounds between people. Im just looking for suggestions. Sometimes threads need to die and then resurected again. Sometimes that needs to be done in new threads.

Now unless a moderator asks me to close this thread, it will remain open!

And please lets not let this thread become a battleground. I think everyones opinion is important and needs to be respected. And also by keeping this subject in the limeight, it forces Apple to look at these ideas a bit closer as we the consumers have the power of demand. Trust me; they read theese threads! I know first hand!

Moderators close threads, not members. If a thread needs to be closed, we'll close it.

im pretty shure the new features for 10.4,are allready decided, ppl @ apple are not waiting from mac/win users @ macosx.com to save them...

the annoyin thing is that its almost may, but noone has any idea...until then any discussions about 10.4 are pretty useless. maybe some suggestions on 10.5 :)

It seems that soulseek has completely missed the point that this thread was make pretend.

And yes buddy we do read the threads!

1) you two break it up
2)Soulseek, stop being so negative. i agree that they already have 10.4 in the works but hey we can still dream. and if you don't want to see 10.4 threads don't read them
3) i don't exactly know what you mean by "And yes buddy we do read the threads!" jackdahi, but yeah the whole point of a RUMORS/news thread is for people to project what they think.
4) I am nearly positive that there are people/developers here from apple that read this forum.

im not sayin ppl from apple arent looking around forums... maybe they are...

the important thing is if they pay attention to what they read(if they read)... in that case we would have a Mouse with 2 buttons, the ability to change mac os x themes and a cheap headless mac. probably the most requested features around any forum!!!

the fact is none of these exist right now... some guys @ apple decide forthemselves..they seem to know what they're doing.!!!

but still it doesnt mean u guys cant discuss and dream about 10.4. just dont get too excited...

oh.. and im assure if jackdahi was working for apple, he wouldnt have a dual xeon as a work computer :)

soulseek said:
the important thing is if they pay attention to what they read(if they read)... in that case we would have a Mouse with 2 buttons, the ability to change mac os x themes and a cheap headless mac. probably the most requested features around any forum!!!

Not true at all -- I'm sure Apple has reasons beyond comprehension for sticking with a one-button mouse, locking us into one "theme" and not making a headless Mac.

Plus, as active as this forum is, it probably represents a mere 1% of the Mac users out there, probably less. If 1% of your customer base was suggesting new features, would you hop right on it and make the changes, or would you wait and see what the other 99% want? I know it sounds reasonable to say that the other 99% probably want a cheap, headless Mac and the ability to theme the system without 3rd party add-ons, but do you know for sure? And should those be a priority for Apple?

The point is, those are trivial things. A one-button mouse won't kill you to use -- in fact, it's kinda nice. Some people prefer two or more buttons, but for the most part, you can navigate OS X just as well with a one-button mouse as you can with a multi-button mouse. As for themes, well, I'd like to see that too, but I'd hate to take a programmer away from a more important task to put him on some aesthetic issue that a fraction of the userbase would like to see. Lastly, I think the headless Mac has been discusssed to death. How would that benefit Apple? We can already get great headless machines for about $1000, and if the price dipped much below that, you can be sure that the quality of the machine wouldn't be nearly up to par with Apple's standard -- maybe we'd see a little jump in the installed userbase, but maybe not -- remember, most of the people who want a headless Mac are already Mac users -- how would that help? Also, it would defeat the purpose of Apple's "ease-of-setup, ease-of-use" policy, and Apple would then have to provide support for non-Apple devices such as monitors and keyboards/mice. You can't sell a headless machine then refuse to troubleshoot it when a cheap-o PC monitor doesn't work right with it.

Apple sells complete systems for a reason. They're not overpriced, it's just that Apple doesn't offer much in the sub-$1000 range. You want a headless Mac? Get a single-processor G4 tower for $1300. Two button mouse? $20 at any BestBuy or CompUSA. System themes? Unsanity's ShapeShifter - $20.

any of these 3 features I dont care about. but others seem to do...

this forum might represent less than 1% of mac users but it surely represents more than 1% of ONLINE MAC USERS REGISTERED IN FORUMS...

and eldiablo if u read my post, i said 'most requested features around any forum'
im a member in at least 3 mac forums and in all of them these are top requests all the time. im not sayin there correct. i mostly disagree

i just wanted to stress that online forums have no power or say in apple decissions.

mac buyers have power. if 10.4 upgrades are quite low due to lack of features or high price... then aPPLE will be forced to do better with 10.5 .... a bunch of new threads from ppl who are partly windows users, dont have any say in 10.4 ....

Well if you would have cared to comprehend what you read on my signature a few days ago, you would have noticed that my Dual Xeon is in fact running Red Hat Linux.

Also not everyone has the luxury of just using the Mac OS for work.

And your right, I dont work for Apple. I never claimed that I worked for Apple. What I meant by my statement "trust me we do read the threads" is that I develop Audio Software. And my company, witch will remain un-named for good reason, always asks us the developers to scout user forums for what may be good features to add to our software and also to see how users feel about certain things. This does not mean that ALL suggestions will be added to the software. Only the ones that make sense and fit the current/future business model will be considered.

I love my Mac. I have three of them and an Ipod. And yes, unfortunately I am Also a windows User.

i wasnt critisizing what u work on.... although i do remember a machine with windows on it apart from the dual xeon...
but we live in a Wintel era... its only logical... :)

i was just answerin to some1 who was claimin/jokin about u workin for apple :)

and its only logical for developers to scour forums for suggestions, since noone really provides feedback to software makers ( correct me if im wrong)

soulseek said:
and its only logical for developers to scour forums for suggestions, since noone really provides feedback to software makers ( correct me if im wrong)

I disagree. Versiontracker.com's comments area is overflowing with users who provide feedback to developers, both through the comment area as well as direct email/phone/mail to the developer(s).

I do agree, though, that many developers get indirect feedback through forums like this, however, not nearly as much as they would from other sources. I'd be willing to bet than more feedback gets sent to Apple through their feedback page than through a forum. I have no doubt in my mind that some Apple employees scour forums, whether it be in their free time for enjoyment or for feedback, but I doubt that forums are a main source of feedback for them.

versiontrackers comment area is also full of developers providing fake comments/feedback tryin to advertise their software so that they make u pay 10-20 bucks for it...

soulseek said:
versiontrackers comment area is also full of developers providing fake comments/feedback tryin to advertise their software so that they make u pay 10-20 bucks for it...

True, there is some software like that, but the number of actual, truthful user comments outweighs the developers' fake comments enormously.

Back