10.4 Features!

(off topic warning) Does anyone have any more information on this .Net with 10.4 rumor?

My design shop still has to code for ASP/.Net for obvious reasons (where we can't control the server options), so it would kick arse to be able to it all on our Macs and get rid of these wretched PCs once and for all.

Does anyone here code and test ASP locally on their Mac via VPC? Any drawbacks other than performance?

My programmer codes on his Dell laptop and would like to get a PowerBook, but still needs to code ASP/.Net. I'm concerned that VPC performance for such a thing might suck on the PowerTower. And we're not sold on the price and actual usability of something like Chilisoft's ASP emulator.

mindbend said:
(off topic warning) Does anyone have any more information on this .Net with 10.4 rumor?
You don't have to wait for 10.4, go here: http://www.go-mono.com/
.Net has been submitted as a standard so others can write binary compatible systems (Linux is to Unix so Mono is to .Net). They even have a fully compatible C# compiler and a lot more. There is a OS X build of it on the site.

My design shop still has to code for ASP/.Net for obvious reasons (where we can't control the server options), so it would kick arse to be able to it all on our Macs and get rid of these wretched PCs once and for all.

Does anyone here code and test ASP locally on their Mac via VPC? Any drawbacks other than performance?
It works fine, I have both VS6 and VS.NET running in a VPC/W2K window. Two things, 1. Use Win2K (there is really no reason to use WinXP, its bloated even for native intel pcs) and turn off all the GUI stuff like shadows and dragging whole windows in the display settings, aliasing etc. Turn off any services that are not essential (you don't need firewalls or sharing or anything like that, rely on native OS X for all that stuff.) and 2. Your running two computers within one system so give each one its fair share of RAM. I loaded my Powermac with 1GB and I give VPC the max 512MB. It runs very very well. Of course when you are not running VPC it gives it back.

Search the net, there are other programs that actually suspend many of the OS X processes while VPC is active and boost it by another 20-30%. I haven't tried them, but their approach sounds solid. Of course, the next VPC (ver 7) is supposed to support the G5 and more importantly be multi-threaded so it will take advantage of dual processors. As well, we understand, it will have native GPU drivers which will be huge for performance across all Mac lines.

My programmer codes on his Dell laptop and would like to get a PowerBook, but still needs to code ASP/.Net. I'm concerned that VPC performance for such a thing might suck on the PowerTower. And we're not sold on the price and actual usability of something like Chilisoft's ASP emulator.
A 1.5GHz Powerbook with 1GB would be more than ample, especially for ASP programming. In fact, you should have no problem running 2 VPC sessions, one can act as the remote server with its own IP address and the other as the client/development PC. You can emulate an entire network. RAM will be your biggest benefit and the Powerbook 15" goes to 2GB.

jackdahi said:
I believe that Longhorn will be doing the expose thing (under another name) when it finally ships. I have seen some video and it looks promising so apple should introduce some advanced expose functionallity. Its time for expose to start maturing in 10.4

Apple has a patent on expose by means of their Piles patent which covers expose as well. Apple even has a patent on drawers, that's why XP doesn't have them.

Piles patent does not cover Exposé. Not at all, really. However: I wonder whether Apple _does_ have Exposé (or parts of it) patented. Maybe that patent (or those patents) would show us where Exposé is heading?

Ive had a look on the US patents website but i cant find anything that remotely resembles Exposé, found itunes GUI tho...

stingerman said:
Apple has a patent on expose by means of their Piles patent which covers expose as well. Apple even has a patent on drawers, that's why XP doesn't have them.

XP does not have it because the current rendering engine could not handle such a feature. Thats why they are developing one. And they too can create from scratch something that might behave like expose. Why not they copy Apple all the time.

I do think Longhorn will come a long ways by 2006 but by then we will have 10.6 probably.

Im hearing isync will be updated soon...... Although I dont know how good my source is. And I also dont know if it will be upgraded for the release of tiger or before that.

jackdahi said:
It looks like 10.4 will have a set of developer tools that will include .Net. If reports are correct.
Could you please link me to these reports? I find it hard to believe Apple would work on a full, decent OS X implementation of Mono: if they were to do it properly, for example, they'd have to get Windows.Forms working through Aqua. Cool, of course, if it could be done at all (the interface styles are very different, you'd be in dabger of having a Java-Swing-style-mish-mash), but a humungous lot of work. Without the GUI side, things would be a lot easier, but even so, I would have thought Apple would concentrate on Cocoa.

burntoutjoy said:
Could you please link me to these reports? I find it hard to believe Apple would work on a full, decent OS X implementation of Mono: if they were to do it properly, for example, they'd have to get Windows.Forms working through Aqua. Cool, of course, if it could be done at all (the interface styles are very different, you'd be in dabger of having a Java-Swing-style-mish-mash), but a humungous lot of work. Without the GUI side, things would be a lot easier, but even so, I would have thought Apple would concentrate on Cocoa.

These reports have been published by macrumors, thinksecret, appleinsider all at different times with the most recent beeing appleinsider i believe. im sure that .net will behave almost transparently on the mac. You see it seems that Apple's goal is to attract even more developer to the mac platform. I heard that they are also thinking about adding C#.

mi5moav said:
I'm still waiting for text ripping. I used to use that so much in 9 when I was surfing or reading a document. Whenever I came across some text(url,address, name) I would highlight and drag it to the desktop creating a text clipping. Then I could take the text clip and drag and paste right into whatever supported it. In osx I have to open up text edit or some other thing copy and paste it.... crazy what where the reasons this went?

I just did this text and it created a text clipping. . .

jackdahi said:
I believe that Longhorn will be doing the expose thing (under another name) when it finally ships. I have seen some video and it looks promising so apple should introduce some advanced expose functionallity. Its time for expose to start maturing in 10.4

If they do, I think it's really unlikely it will be as aesthetically pleasing as on a mac. Windows users don't care as much about that stuff - put a Windows interface and a Mac interface side by side, Mac is so much more beautiful. ie movies won't keep playing in Longhorn expose, not as much animations and stuff. and longhorn's not out for what - 2 years?

ok, Dashboard: Why? Is it apple improving on a 3rd Party product, or taking advice from the user group? I just dont under stand why they have done it

I just get back to the point of this thread.

Besides some very good points which arose throughout this thread, I would also like to add some possible new feature which would be enjoyable.

Integrated X11 runtime environment - user friendly (console becomes optional) and a better approach of UNIX X11 level applicactions and the Fink project to the mass public.

Back