Finally :)
343 MB?! I guess it eliminates the possibility that someone installs by mistake the update for the wrong architecture, but it's a bit ... big to download with anything less than broadband.

Oooh, I shall have a look!

I wonder if it will finally fix the problem where the first character is often skipped when typing on MacBook Pros...

Just updated with the Combo on both Machines. On the PPC G5 it had a double restart so be patient when letting the Combo boot up.

Everything seems good so far. Here is everything 10.5.2 updated. Here is the long list!

Active Directory
Addresses issues which could hinder or prevent binding Mac OS X 10.5.x clients to Active Directory domains.
AirPort
Improves connection reliability and stability
Includes 802.1X improvements.
Resolves certain kernel panics.
Back to my Mac
Adds support for more third-party routers, as detailed in this article.
Dashboard
Improves performance of certain Apple Dashboard widgets (such as Dictionary).
Addresses an issue in which Dashboard widgets may no longer be accessible after switching to or from an account that has Parental Controls enabled.
Dock
Updates Stacks with a List view option, a Folder view option, and an updated background for Grid view.
Desktop
Addresses legibility issues with the menu bar with an option to turn off transparency in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences.
Adjusts menus to be slightly-less translucent overall.
iCal
Improves iCal so that it accurately reflects responses to recurring meetings.
Addresses an issue in which a meeting may remain on the calendar after being cancelled.
Addresses stability issues related to .Mac syncing of iCal calendars.
Resolves an intermittent issue in which editing an event with attendees would cause the event to shrink and not register that the event was updated.
iChat
Addresses an issue with simultaneously-logged in accounts in which iChat sounds generated from one account might be heard in another account.
Fixes an issue in which iChat idle time is affected by Time Machine backups.
Improves connectivity when running iChat behind a router that doesn’t preserve ports.
Enables logged chats from previous versions of iChat to open faster and more reliably.
Addresses an issue with text chats in which users may be unable to receive messages from the sender.
Addresses an issue that may prevent rejoining an AIM chat room without reopening iChat.
Addresses video chat compatibility issues with AIM 6 and third-party routers.
Fixes an issue with case-sensitivity of AIM handles.
iSync
Adds support for Samsung D600E and D900i phones.
Finder
Addresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when displaying folder contents in Column view.
Addresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when accessing Users and Groups in a Get Info pane.
Resolves an issue that prevented setting permissions on a folder alias.
Resolves an issue in which the Eject command could write to a disc in the optical drive.
Fixes an issue in which the scroll bar might disappear when deleting a file within a folder that includes files that are out of view.
Fixes an issue in the Sharing & Permissions section of Get Info windows, in which the gear icon appears to be gray/disabled after authentication.
Addresses an issue in which the Show Icon Preview preference might not be not saved when turning it off.
Fixes an issue that could occur when trying to print an image from the Finder.
Mail
Addresses an issue with Message menu's Mark > As Read choice.
Fixes an issue in which duplicate On My Mac folders may appear in the sidebar after upgrading to Leopard.
Improves the accuracy of the Data Detectors feature.
Resolves an issue with scrolling through a Note that is displayed using the split view in the message window.
Fixes an issue with deleting messages located in the Drafts folder.
Fixes an issue in which dragging the icon in the Safari URL field into a Mail message creates an attachment instead of a link.
Addresses an issue found when opening a item in the Notes folder that is not a Note.
Fixes an issue that may prevent RSS feeds from being delivered in Mail.
Resolves an issue in which a selected message could "flash" from blue to gray when in Organize by Thread mode.
Fixes an issue with scrolling between multiple To Dos in an email message.
Fixes an issue in which the body of email messages with certain MIME structures may not be displayed.
Improves performance with America Online (AOL) account-based messages in Mail.
Addresses issues with some ISPs during automatic set-up in Mail.
Addresses an issue in which Mail might not send mail on some networks to some SMTP servers.
Mail now automatically disables the (unsupported) third-party plugin GrowlMail version 1.1.2 or earlier to avoid issues.
Adds an option to view large icons in the Mailbox list.
Networking
Addresses a hanging issue that may occur when connecting to an AFP network volume.
Parental Controls
Improves stability when opening the Parental Controls System Preferences pane.
Fixes an issue that may prevent changes to the email address for permission requests.
Addresses an issue with printer administration for a guest account enabled with Parental Controls.
Addresses an issue with setting printer administration privileges from another Mac on the local network.
Fixes an issue that could prevent certain applications from being allowed.
Addresses accuracy issues with the web content filter.
Preview
Improves stability when scrolling through a PDF document.
Fixes an issue that prevents tabbing within a PDF document after clicking on the PDF.
Improves the Mail Document feature so that email attachments are more reliably created from Print Preview.
Printing
Addresses an issue in which remote printers may be deleted when the computer is put to sleep.
Improves printing performance when using some Microsoft Office applications.
Resolves an issue with some printing options, such as landscape orientation, number of copies, two-sided printing, and so forth that may not have functioned with some printers shared by Microsoft Windows.
Adds support for certain printers connected to the USB port of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express base station.
Resolves a stalling issue that could occur when installing certain Canon printing software from a disc.
RAW Image
Adds RAW image support for several cameras, as detailed in this article.
Safari
Addresses issues with Safari reliably resolving certain domains.
Login and Setup Assistant
Addresses an issue in which Setup Assistant could unexpectedly appear each time Mac OS X 10.5 starts up.
Improves stability and performance during log in.
System
Improves the accuracy of the grammar checker.
The computer will now shut down if an automatic disk repair does not succeed during startup.
Time Machine
Adds a menu bar option for accessing Time Machine features (the menu extra can be enabled in Time Machine preferences).
Improves backup reliability when computer name contains slash or non-ASCII characters.
Fixes an issue in which the backup disk displayed in the Finder may be out of sync with the disk chosen for Time Machine.
Addresses issues in which some external drives are not recognized by Time Machine.
The status menu now appears by default.
Other
Improves general stability when running third-party applications.
Addresses an issue in which the incorrect search results may be displayed for certain Automator Find/Filter actions.
Addresses an issue with the Latvian and Russian keyboard layouts.
Addresses an issue in which the backlight could turn off before Energy Saver's backlight setting.

Last edited:
As many people may already know, one feature that 10.5.2 brings is the ability to view Stacks as a "List" (hierarchical menus). One related feature I noticed is that icons for individual Stacks can now be viewed either as a "Stack" (i.e. an overlap of icons of files contained within that folder) or a "Folder" (i.e. where only the icon of the parent folder, such as the Downloads folder, is used). Personally, I'm not that bothered about hierarchical menus, but I really do like the ability to change the icon in the Dock on an individual basis.

There is also an option to switch on/off the "Translucent Menu Bar" in the "Desktop and Screen Saver" System Preferences pane. Many people will be glad of that too.

Time Machine now has its own status icon in the menu bar, which is mildly animated when Time Machine is busy backing up...

It will take me some time to determine whether or not the keyboard issue for MacBook Pros has been sorted out. I'll keep my fingers crossed but had heard it might not be sorted out with this release. Additionally, I'm hoping there will be a CS3 update shortly so that Acrobat will work under Leopard now... Adobe had originally referred to updates coming out in late 2007 and January 2008, if I remember rightly.

Graphically, animations seem a bit smoother. The background for Stacks views seem different somehow (darker and with a border?). Spaces seems noticeably smoother for me, and animations for Stacks and minimization seem to be improved too; movies still do not play in the Dock, though.

Menus now seem much less translucent, to the point where I thought they are now opaque. To be honest, I actually quite liked the level of menu transparency in Leopard prior to 10.5.2! It seemed about the right balance for me.

Menus now seem much less translucent, to the point where I thought they are now opaque. To be honest, I actually quite liked the level of menu transparency in Leopard prior to 10.5.2! It seemed about the right balance for me.

I saw that in their list of changes, so I took a screenshot before I applied the update and another after. They're identical. Is there only a difference on Core Image-capable machines? That seems unlikely since menu transparency has never used Core Image.

The new options for stacks are very welcome. Now you can get it to work exactly like in Tiger, and you can choose on an item-by-item basis, so you can have some folders open as stacks and some open as menus. That's the way it should be.

I haven't noticed any difference besides the stacks change and the new Time Machine menu extra (also nice). Spaces might be a bit more responsive, but if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Attachments

• Before.png
    Before.png
    121 KB · Views: 30
  • After.png
    After.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 28
I saw that in their list of changes, so I took a screenshot before I applied the update and another after. They're identical. Is there only a difference on Core Image-capable machines? That seems unlikely since menu transparency has never used Core Image.
I don't know what to make of this. You've thought ahead and been more thorough about the comparison, so I'm open to being wrong about this. That said, it was something that I wasn't looking out for, I simply played with the update and instantly thought the transparency had changed. When using a few menus, the "blurry" feel to them seemed to have gone in favor of a much lesser level of transparency. That was my instant reaction, at least! My experience of 10.5.2 is with a MacBook Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card), I don't know if experiences will vary according to hardware.

The new options for stacks are very welcome.
I agree. While some additions are useful for me, and others not, it's having the choice which is important to many.

I haven't noticed any difference besides the stacks change and the new Time Machine menu extra (also nice). Spaces might be a bit more responsive, but if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have thought anything of it.
I'm picking up on a number of small differences here and there. For me, small tweaks to software (in general, not just with Leopard) can add up to affect the overall feel, even though they don't sound significant in themselves. The performance improvements may come from the Leopard Graphics Update, rather than 10.5.2 itself.

For me, the smoothness of Spaces was very noticeable. Thinking about it, I should clarify: the difference in performance relates to zooming out to view all Spaces at once, not simply moving between individual Spaces with keystrokes. Again, this might be down to differences in hardware, but I use Spaces a lot and had always felt the animation juddered but now it seems very smooth.

Last edited:
I've noticed, belatedly, that Adobe released Acrobat Professional 8.1.2 around a week ago, and this is supposed to improve Leopard compatibility. I had not been able to install Acrobat Professional (as part of CS3) at all under Leopard, so Adobe's automatic software updater obviously was not going to check for updates to this! I'll try reinstalling Acrobat Professional under 10.5.2 and see if I can run the 8.1.2 updater...

Anyone else having a problem running CS3 with Linotype running? Also my Dock "crashes" when i try any other view other than List View.

Ran the Combo updater twice.

Oooh, I shall have a look!

I wonder if it will finally fix the problem where the first character is often skipped when typing on MacBook Pros...

bbloke: i think i had a similar issue. as i rapidly flip from program to program and arrive at a input field... i quickly enter, say my email... and when i look up the first letter is missing. I type as one should and not look at the keyboard...not peck and hunt!

Is that what your MB PRO is doing? I have a MacBook, 10.4.11, 2 gig RAM etc... the thing preforms like a thoroughbred 99% of the time. However, I built a clean install a few weeks ago and the issue is gone!

Let me know... i want to keep tabs on that little issue... it drove me crazy.

best,

CaribbeanOS-X

bbloke: i think i had a similar issue. as i rapidly flip from program to program and arrive at a input field... i quickly enter, say my email... and when i look up the first letter is missing. I type as one should and not look at the keyboard...not peck and hunt!
CaribbeanOS-X
Help me understand this better,
If you type without looking at the keyboard, then what is is that you are looking up from?

jb.:confused:

Well it looks like some people are confused at the size of the delta update. We;; after thinking and talking with friends I have come to a conclusion. If you did an original update to 10.5.0 from Tiger you were given the 'Combo' 10.5.2 (384 MB). If you did a fresh install Apple gave you just the Delta 10.5.2 update (184MB).

Either that or some of the many servers were just giving out the Combo update by mistake, or maybe it was by design in some countries. I just guessing.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is a Graphic Software update after you install 10.5.2 so check Software Update.

Any idea what that is all about? I of course went and installed it, but I'm curious anyhow.

I didn't notice iTunes mentioned specifically, but I hope they fix its constant freeze-ups soon. I will probably go and import a CD at some point today to see if there's any improvements in that area.

Alra111

I don't know what to make of this. You've thought ahead and been more thorough about the comparison, so I'm open to being wrong about this. That said, it was something that I wasn't looking out for, I simply played with the update and instantly thought the transparency had changed. When using a few menus, the "blurry" feel to them seemed to have gone in favor of a much lesser level of transparency. That was my instant reaction, at least! My experience of 10.5.2 is with a MacBook Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card), I don't know if experiences will vary according to hardware.

I don't think you're wrong about the menus, seeing as you noticed it on your own and Apple says there is a difference. I just wonder why I'm not getting it. I get the same result now after I installed the graphics update, too. *shrug*

Speaking of which, does anyone have any details about what this graphics update actually does? Apple's description is very vague.

For me, the smoothness of Spaces was very noticeable. Thinking about it, I should clarify: the difference in performance relates to zooming out to view all Spaces at once, not simply moving between individual Spaces with keystrokes. Again, this might be down to differences in hardware, but I use Spaces a lot and had always felt the animation juddered but now it seems very smooth.

Yeah, I notice an improvement there, too. I don't use that mode very often, though, so I can't say for sure what kind of difference there was, but I remember it being choppy and now it's fairly smooth. I ALSO notice a difference in keyboard-controlled switching, which I use much more. It seems smoother than it used to be, too.

bbloke: i think i had a similar issue. as i rapidly flip from program to program and arrive at a input field... i quickly enter, say my email... and when i look up the first letter is missing.

Is that what your MB PRO is doing? I have a MacBook, 10.4.11, 2 gig RAM etc... the thing preforms like a thoroughbred 99% of the time. However, I built a clean install a few weeks ago and the issue is gone!
Hi CaribbeanOS-X,

Your experience sounds similar to what I have encountered. I bought a MacBook Pro over the summer (running Tiger) and noticed that the first letter would be missing occasionally, right after I started typing. This might be particularly the case when typing in a field when browsing the web, and that sort of thing. I put it down to not having adjusted to a laptop keyboard yet!

I upgraded to Leopard some weeks after it was released and, by that time, I was more convinced it was not the case that I was unfamiliar with the keyboard. The same phenomenon occurred under Leopard. I started looking around on forums, particularly Apple's own discussion pages, and found this is a widespread issue that has been driving people crazy!

The first letter tends to only not appear if they keyboard has been inactive for some time. It doesn't seem to miss random letters or freeze up, and the trackpad is fine. Once I've started typing and don't stop for long periods, the letters seem to show up appropriately. I started to think it is almost as if the keyboard goes to sleep when not used for a bit, and the first key press wakes it! Someone else made a similar comment concerning the USB bus going to sleep, and how it could be overly-aggressive power management. While some had said the problem occurs when using Windows via Boot Camp, more had said that it didn't occur within Windows, so that gave me more hope that it is software-related.

Fingers crossed...

I didn't notice iTunes mentioned specifically, but I hope they fix its constant freeze-ups soon. I will probably go and import a CD at some point today to see if there's any improvements in that area.
I would expect this would be a separate iTunes update, if there was a known issue. I have to say that I haven't been experiencing these problems with iTunes, though. MacFixit has an article about iTunes freezing up, though, so you might want to look at that. They direct readers to Apple's Knowledge Base article on the subject. Good luck!

Back