10.5.6: Time Machine won't backup

nuubie

Registered
I disabled Spotlight as per this:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071102215912892

Does this cause problems for Time Machine?
I use EasyFind (far preferable to Time Machine and doens't eat resources) so I never need Spotlight. I would love to banish this app completely but I do need Time Machine.

Shouldn't cause problems as it's different processes that Time Machine uses.

A neater to do/undo way to disable or enable dashboard would be with OnyX.

Use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and use that program on the time Machine disk and do all repairs on it you can. Even Time Time wireless users can do some repair on the Time Machine's sparse image.

Also there is a tech way is repairing a Time Machine volume permission issue. to do this launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and follow these steps:

Type(in Terminal):

cd /Volumes/

Then once the Terminal prompt changes type: ls

The ls command is for List. now the list should contain all of you drives connected to your Mac. now it is important you do not panic because you have to find the name of your Time Machine volume. Make sure you have this volume mounted on your Desktop because I am going to make shortcut for you to use some drag & drop features (instead of typing).

Type:

cd (then a space mark) then drag and drop your Time Machine volume to the Terminal window, then hit return. Right at this point type:

ls -la (hit the return button)

Then you should get a readout that will have file in it called ".001b6397c156". You should a file in the list similar to this. Then highlight that file name and copy it because you will be pasting this file name several times. Now here comes the geek fix lines (including YOUR filename like my posted files ".001b6397c156"):

sudo chown `id -un`.001b6397c156 (hit the return button)
sudo chmod 400 .001b6397c156 (hit the return button)

NOTE: Now in my typing I posted .001b6397c156 . This i MY file so DON'T type that, you must type your file name YOU got from the ls -la command.

Lastly if you typed right this should fix the Time Machine permissions connection problem. You can actually read about this reported fix on the MacfixIt.com splash page as of Dec 24th, 2008.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Back