10.5 First impressions - post yours

the system font is different... not sure what it is, but O's now look more like 0's.

buttons are sort of sunk in a little bit.

played with resolution independence, and it's clear they havent really been working on it. some elements are high res, most aren't (apple menu apple is, but selected apple menu apple isn't, for example).

new dock's actualy a bit of a pain, i was looking forward to it as well.

spotlight reindexes.

my internet is horrendously slow since the update. hope it doesn't last/is a coincidence.

photoshop and illustrator both hung on first open. seem to working fine since

got mine this morning at about 7.30am GMT. that's before anyone on the internet, i think. :D more when i think of it...

I wonder how any of us have a PowerPC and Leopard.

Leopard is working great on PowerPC or something? i see great news about Intel Macs, but what about PowerPC

I have an iMac G5 that I eventually am going to move to Leopard. I don't know how soon I can accomplish this so someone might actually beat me to the punch. For now, Leopard is going to have to wait until I can scrounge up the money.

I have an iMac G5 that I eventually am going to move to Leopard. I don't know how soon I can accomplish this so someone might actually beat me to the punch. For now, Leopard is going to have to wait until I can scrounge up the money.
I've got a iMac G5 and I'll be able to try it out on it tonight and hopefully on my iBook, so I'll tell you how it goes.

i can't seem to find AirPort interface robustness in leopard. which is crap, as it's the only way my Powermac will pick up a decent signal.... (the signal has to pass through pretty much the entire length of the 2-foot aluminium and interference case....)

i hope it's something simple to fix

Where did my topic go? I made one just like this yesterday, why was it deleted?

EDIT: Looks like it was merged. Nevermind.

Installed this evening. I did an upgrade and it went well. seems speedy. Most every thing works fine. MS office is a little slower now. It did loose all my printers which was a major bummer!

i was looking forward to it as well.

what don't you like about it? So far it's no more or less useful than the previous dock IMO. I haven't used the stacks much, so I may change my mind!

What bugs me is the two-tone colours in the finder. THe blue rows are a little too dark, which is distracting. But that is minor, overall I am absolutely delighted so far.

I have a question re: Boot Camp.

When you install windows via boot camp, the mac then defaults to booting in WIndows all the time (you have to press alt explicitly choose Mac OS X if you want to use Mac). YOu can, of course, change this -- as I have -- in the system prefs, but why in the world would Apple make Windows the default boot option??

DO you think that is a bug, an oversight or intentional? it's been doing this since Boot Camp beta 1, so I guess it is intentional.

I have to get my external Dual Layer drive because the disc is Dual Layer, so I'll have to wait till tommorow to install :(.

How old is your DVD drive? All DVD-ROMs that I know of can read dual layer disks, just all dvd burners can't always burn dual layer disks.

OK, I don't see why you couldn't read a dual layer dvd disk. If you can play any hollywood movie on it you can use it to install Leopard.

I guess, I could, I never really thought about it, but yah I noticed it was reading 7 GB discs so I guess I could do, I always thought combo drives to be the lowest of the low, and I looked in system profiler, never said anything about it.

Backed up 5 gig in 40 minutes, 165 gig to go on 3900g Maxtor external.
22 hours to finish. This is an old G5 iMac.

Much easier to back up apps and data as I used to, Must be doing something wrong..

Seems like everything is running much faster now for me. Not sure if anyone noticed, but Apple finally fixed the icon for iCal to display the current date in the dock.

I do wish they'd come up with a better way for the stacks icons. The address book icon is the first in my applications, so it's set as the stack icon and that's annoying. I'd rather have a generic applications icon here--same for the docs and downloads stacks.

So I went for the install last night and it did not go smoothly. Tried to upgrade initially, and to cut a long story short, Finder would not function and could not identify my boot disk (although I could get to files on it once spotlight had indexed). Killed the finder process in terminal but no luck. Apple Support were stunningly useless, ie 'well, I guess you should expect a load of bugs, it is brand new' :D

Did an archive/install, no luck (same problem) so ended up erasing and installing with no issue....apart from having to re-install apps, prefs etc from my Super Duper backups. (a decent back up saves the day again)

Would probably say that my issue was not related to Leopard itself.

Currently having a few teething problems, i.e. unable to change the background in iChat to a user specified photo/movie, but all in all, quite sweet

A lot of the forums talk about repair permissions taking a long time. Mine took 15 mins (as opposed to 2 normally), and then came back with this:

'Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired'

Any ideas?

The look over all is grate the problem I have is the contrast between the control menus at the top of the screen and the windows. For me they seem to have to totally different feels as if they are port of 2 different OsX versions.

I do love the new logo at the top right.

I'm personally still pondering wether or not to buy. I really don't like the look of the new desktop for some reason, a few features I was hoping for haven't been included and app updates I can just download. :(

That said I probably will buy it within the next few weeks just so I can have a go but at the minute I'm quite happy with Tiger.

So (see posts above) the update was not the smoothest, but after a few hours exploring (which as we know if half the fun) I am very happy. The new Finder is great, and the ichat 'share' functions are outstanding :) Being able to run through photo collections or documents is a breeze, and so so much better than emailing lots of files or using a web browser (assuming you have not loaded on the web already). Spaces is growing on me, but I am fairly organised with my apps anyway. Lots of people are unhappy with the 'look' but I am not bothered...to be honest I have not really noticed.

One major gripe is the application 'on' indicator in the dock though. The tiny 'dot' is horrid :mad:

Back